doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: topgun Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/21/18 07:35 PM
A seldom seen Hollenbeck double shotgun popped up on GI last week and almost immediately sold to an individual whom almost everyone here knows; and who subsequently contacted me because he knows I'm kinda sorta into Syracuse and Hollenbeck guns. This Hollenbeck is a 12-bore Damascus barreled gun with the sexy "S" shaped full pistol grip and splinter forend; but this example was special ordered and will qualify as a "one-off". Serial number 117 is an early gun that is grade stamped "C" and was shipped with Hollenbeck's optional and very seldom seen auto-ejector option. Hollenbeck double guns are very uncommon, and are seldom seen; and any example above his lowest Grade A gun are really hard to find, so anything grade stamped "C" or higher is a bit special (early cataloged grades were A (lowest @ $75), B ($100) C (125),D $150), E ($200), and F (highest, with a suggested 1901 retail @ $300). I've seen pix of two other C Grade Hollenbeck doubles, and both featured a single pointing dog on either side of the frame. This example features double pointing dogs on one side and 3 elk on the other (elk heads more closely resemble dog head in my opinion; just haven't seen a dog with antlers, so must be elk?), and a covey scene on the trigger guard. The scroll and border work is well executed and a bit deeper cut than the other C's I've observed; and on the floor plate is engraved this inscription "Made for W.W. Beale Wellsburg, W. VA by Hollenbeck Gun Co.". Would be interesting to know who Mr. Beale may have been? The gold name shield inletted into the pistol grip knob is also engraved with his initials. On C Grade Hollenbeck's and up these guns feature a gold rib-bar inlay and the ends of the top rib are dimpled in the same fashion as a higher grade LC Smith. A really unusual and almost never seen double gun; and if someone who knows how to post pics would be so kind as to send an email to my office address <tarcher@smcredit.com>, I'll forward the cell phone pics from my file. They're not great, but will suffice till we can do better. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: skeettx Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/21/18 08:13 PM
smile
See below smile

Mike
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/21/18 08:27 PM

The barrels may be "Chine P."

W.W. Beall was treasurer of the Wellsburg, Bethany and Washington Railway Co.
https://books.google.com/books?id=x_4hAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA554&lpg
https://books.google.com/books?id=VCA4AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA396&lpg
and a Democrat
https://books.google.com/books?id=rqoGAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA672&lpg
Posted By: Researcher Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/21/18 11:10 PM
I'd make safe space for that!! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: tw Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/22/18 02:48 AM
Thanks, Gents!

Have to wonder on those 'elk'; suspect the engraver knew dogs well enough, but probably never saw an elk for himself. Horns/antlers look more red stag, to me.

Hey(!), we've seen flying turnips on some other guns that are keen shooters and were very well made, eh? And I always kinda have a private laugh when no one knows whot a chamois looks like, thinking perhaps its an adolescent Jackalope.. or something;-)
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/22/18 11:39 AM
Beautiful gun. The "elk" remind me a little bit of the dog in the original Grinch who stole Christmas that was voiced over by Boris Karloff. The Grinch fitted his pup appropriately with antlers to pull his sleivh of stolen toys. I'd definitely make room for it too.
Posted By: topgun Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/22/18 12:30 PM
David
Would I be correct in assuming the ledger record for this Hollenbeck has been lost with the other early Hollenbeck Gun Co. records?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/22/18 05:28 PM
I'm presently 3000 road miles and a nine hour ferry ride away from my copy of the records.
Posted By: topgun Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/22/18 06:22 PM
Thanks for the response David, and have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/23/18 02:05 PM
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a W&C Scott pinfire 12 gauge circa 1863/65 which is marked on the top rib "Made for Benjamin D Kennedy, Louisville KY".

I acquired it from a collector from Louisville. He had tried to research Mr Kennedy but all he was able to find was where he had obtained a business license to operate a Jewelry shop in Louisville during the right time frame in which the gun was built.
Posted By: doublenut Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/24/18 10:43 AM
This Hollenbeck is really a unique gun w/the inscription and details/engraving. To Harry’s point on the Elk engraving I agree but if you look at a number of guns from that era both the deer/elk and birds are not of the most “life like” style. I have owned Grade 4 Ithacas that have had similar style engraving. With so few Hollenbeck doubles made to find a C Grade w/ejectors in that condition is pretty cool!
Posted By: Researcher Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/24/18 04:59 PM
I find the two very distinct styles of scroll engraving on the gun to be marvelous. Wonder if two different engravers worked on the gun?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/24/18 08:10 PM
Here are some pictures of other C-Grades that Tom Archer sent me and one I had on file --

None of these guns are as nicely engraved as No. 117 the gun that is the subject of this thread.
Posted By: topgun Re: Let's talk some more Hollenbeck - 05/24/18 08:54 PM
Many thanks David. There's such an obvious difference between the guns in these pics you've posted and our subject gun #117; that I would've bet the farm #117 was a higher grade gun had it not been so obviously grade stamped "C".
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com