doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: M D Christian A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/07/07 07:44 PM
I picked up a 16 bore Flues that has no grade mark. It has 28" Krupp barrels chocked full and full, has the Field Grade setter, line engraved, an NID type star on the trigger plate. and engraving on the top lever.. Serial number 2610xx. It's the lightest 16 I've seen at 5 pounds 15 ounces.I thought it was a 20 when I first picked it up. pretty nice shape, no case but good wood and blue.. can someone pont me to a proper pad and a grip cap.... Thanks, MDC
Nothing on the frame's water table?? I will check when I get home.
Posted By: 775 Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 01:28 AM
Wouldn't happen to be this one, would it?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72685368

Good thing I'm broke.....youda paid quite a bit more for that otherwise!

Nice find and price! Looks like a #1...meybe #1S...just not stamped.

Best,
Mark
Posted By: M D Christian Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 10:51 AM
Bingo: Even a blimd hog finds an acorn once in a while.. I put a $500 maximum bid on it and went out of town. Came back to a pleasant suprise, It only took the $381 to buy it.. The only markings are the serial numbers in the three normal places, the # "4" choke marks on each barrel, the "16 and Patd". on the water table, the "P" on the forend lug, "Krupp Fluid Steel" on top of both barrels, and "Ithaca Gun Co. Ithaca N.Y." on the frame.. MDC
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 11:20 AM
MDC. The Jostam Anti-Flinch or Noshoc would be a correct period pad for the gun. Also a Silvers, although I am not sure that Ithaca ever used them on Field Grade guns. However, many Flues of this era were retrofitted with the Ithaca Sunburst or Bridge Trestle pad after it was introduced in 1931. If the butt stock is a full 14" I would use a Ithaca Flues butt plate. The correct grip cap is the one Galazan shows in his catalog PG020.
Posted By: M D Christian Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 01:18 PM
Thanks Rick, I have 13 7/8" on the wood, I had considered a repo (or Original) butt plate.. MDC
Posted By: Researcher Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 01:32 PM
The roll-stamped dog and name with the zig-zag border on the frame is what was shown in the catalogues prior to mid-1915 as the No. 1 1/2. However, the No. 1 1/2 was, in that time period, their lowest grade gun with Damascus barrels. The first place one got Krupp barrels was on the No. 2 Krupp Pigeon. This is another example of Ithaca doing what the customer wanted, even on these lowest grade guns. Perhaps because this gun didn't fit any catalogued grade it wasn't stamped with a number?!?
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: A NO Grade Flues W/ Krupp Barrels - 06/08/07 01:47 PM
With 13 7/8" on the wood I would opt for the butt plate. If you decide on the pad I would recommend not cutting the wood which would hurt its value a bit on a resale. You might find a used butt plate on ebay that would work but repro's are available and are easier to fit. 1915 was kind of a transition period so either the early Flues or the later Flues butt plate would be appropriate.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com