doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 09:33 PM
For those who have used RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers low pressure shotshells

Which low pressure off the shelf loads do you prefer and why?

I primarily shoot 16ga and was planning on stocking up a couple of cases this summer.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 09:44 PM
I've only used RST and PolyWad and I'd rate them just the same; excellent. RST has niftier boxes, but PolyWad is just up the road (I-75) and I usually get one day delivery on my orders...Geo
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 09:45 PM
Michael, it has been many years since I have purchased factory loads, but I think the polywad product is excellent and Jay was very helpful and receptive to questions I had at the time. I do not feel polywad gets enough or appropriate mention when the subject of “short” shells comes up on the boards or collectors groups.
That said I respect RSTs efforts to be present at the big eastern shoots and their support of clubs. So in my book either one leaves Gamebore in the dust.

The only gamebore I have purchased were some $5 a box closeouts at a Cabela’s I stumbled into once. In the end, they all 3 went bang and I would pick on price 9 times out of 10.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 09:48 PM
None of the gamebore stuff I’ve ever owned & shot would be classified as low pressure. The velocity is pretty high up there too. Put me in the RST camp, more selection.
The old B&P high pheasant stuff was good too, moderate pressures & velocities. The B&P sub sounds were excellent.
Posted By: GLS Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 09:48 PM
I've bought from both RST and Polywad, but mostly from Polywad. Jay Menafee is an innovator in niche loads. He no longer owns the company, but still consults. RST has a wider selection, but PW has what I need. And as Geo states, he's just up the road from here as well. Gil
https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98766855-a-conversation-with-jay-menefee
Posted By: L. Brown Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 11:04 PM
I've used the Kent Gamebore Pure Gold (paper) loads on pheasants. 1 1/16 oz of Brit 6's (diamond shot). They're not pussycats, but they're 2 1/2" shells that will do the job. Basically their driven bird load.

If you're shooting a 2 3/4" gun for roosters and you want something as heavy as 1 1/4 oz, I like the RST pheasant loads a lot. 1200 fps in shot sizes 4-5-6. That's very close to the old "Super Pigeon" formula which the late Michael McIntosh suggested as "the ultimate all-around pheasant load". Kills just as dead as the 1400 fps stuff, patterns better, and doesn't kick as much. And costs less than the stuff we're offered as "premium" pheasant loads.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/02/18 11:21 PM
I used Polywad but had a subpar experience recently with both product and service so I have switched over to RST for the time being. I am happy with RST's 12 gauge offerings.
I've used all three, have some RST and some Polywads on hand. I've no preference as far as quality or service is concerned, between them. That said, Jay, who owned Polywad, was a very easy and helpful owner to talk to.

All things considered, I'd give Polywad a slight edge.

SRH
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 12:04 AM
A slight warning Michael. The RST 16g 2 1/2" 3/4 oz. load is delightful, and is only 4700 psi BUT if it's below about 80 degrees has incomplete combustion and is very dirty.
Not much of an issue out here during hell season wink
The only shells I've ever bought that always are a problem are the B & P Comp One low pressure loads 1 oz. loads. They chamber too deep in every gun I have tried them in so far. Result is lots of light firing pin strikes with no bang. Got three flats sitting around waiting for me to find a gun they will shoot in reliably. I first thought it might be a particular gun, but they do it in every one I've tried them in so far. It's not primer problems per se, either. There seems to be a difference in the rim on the head, compared to other shells.

Years ago I tried shooting B & P shells in a Beretta 682 Gold E target gun I had. They would shoot, but they slipped under the ejectors often causing me to have to pry the shell out from under them. B & P shells just don't like me.

SRH
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 11:10 AM
B and P comp I shells are a problem in the old Perazzi guns, if that’s what you are talking about Stan. Those old P guns from the 70’s were made for American shells. I have an old comp I and it’s not just B and P’s, but all those Italian shells cause trouble....I’ve even had them slip under the ejectors (eg, Fiocchi). The brass swells in the chambers. I carry a wad knocker with me. Problem is, my old Mirage is a beater, but I love the way that gun handles. I’ve heard for about $800 they can convert the old guns to the new style. Ain’t worth it to me. I’ll just put up with the idiosyncrasies.......that old gun crushes targets. ;-)
Posted By: builder Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 11:23 AM
I have had the same problem with Herter shells in a few of my guns. Light strikes in my doubles and failure to extract in Ithaca pump guns. I came to the conclusion that the rims were a bit small or shallow although I have not measured them. I just use other shells in those guns.
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 11:52 AM
I think the RST 16 ga 1 oz 1200 FPS shells are great game loads. Expensive though.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 06:27 PM
If one needs small bridie 12ga loads certain Walmarts carry light target loads from Winchester and Remington. I even found subsonic trainer Winchester AA loads (7/8oz #8 @980fps) there for $7.87 per box of 25. I bought 12 boxes and wonder if Winchester will honor $2 per box discount they are running now. If they do $5.87 per box is unbeatable considering these are quality shells that even have brass base I haven't seen in years though I have heard Remington target and Federal Gold Medal paper shells also have non-magnetic brass bases.
Unless your local Walmart carries them it's isn't worth the time looking for them because Cabela's has or had special on the Winchester AA target loads at $84.99 per 250 cartridges. Someone mentioned shells with brass bases sadly most shells now use cheaper gold washed metal bases (Cheddite made) and not real brass as they once did.
I have always had first class performance as well as very quick delivery from Polywad for the 16 gauge Vintager shells I use in my older doubles. Like others have mentioned, Jay was always extremely helpful, and delivery was usually only one day. But, I'm only 75 miles or so away from them. I have simply stopped reloading for my old 16 ga doubles since I discovered Polywad a number of years ago. Funny thing, I still save the fired hulls, and don't quite know why.
Posted By: Mills Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 07:57 PM
I prefer RST
Posted By: Chukarman Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 08:31 PM
I have used all three. All are pretty good, but many of the Gamebore loads have fiber wads - fine if you like to keep the countryside clean. Polywad is very good but the ones I bought were bulk packaged and a bit more difficult to pack and carry in the truck. For my 16s and 20s I have come to like the RST papers.
Posted By: canvasback Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/03/18 09:17 PM
I've used RST and Gamebore in both 16's and 12's. Gamebore typically has a much narrower selection of loads, pressure is higher (between 7000 and 8000 psi roughly) and way more recoil. Now that I have access to RST, I am using my Gamebore for actual hunting and will likely not replace it when it's gone.

Don't forget, Kent has just brought out a lowish pressure 2 1/2" load.
The Kent 2 1/2" loads at 6700 pressure are finally available.
Karl
Originally Posted By: buzz
B and P comp I shells are a problem in the old Perazzi guns, if that’s what you are talking about Stan. Those old P guns from the 70’s were made for American shells. I have an old comp I and it’s not just B and P’s, but all those Italian shells cause trouble....I’ve even had them slip under the ejectors (eg, Fiocchi). The brass swells in the chambers. I carry a wad knocker with me. Problem is, my old Mirage is a beater, but I love the way that gun handles. I’ve heard for about $800 they can convert the old guns to the new style. Ain’t worth it to me. I’ll just put up with the idiosyncrasies.......that old gun crushes targets. ;-)

Actually, I haven't even tried them in my Perazzi, buzz. I bought them for the lower pressures they generated and tried them in a couple of my older Foxes, and even in my BSS, trying to determine for sure that it wasn't just individual guns. They wouldn't work in the BSS either. All other brands of shells I have tried work fine in all the guns that the B & Ps won't work in. I've got a feeling they will work in a couple of my hammerguns, which seem to have more striker protrusion than the Foxes.

I shoot Fiocchis in my MX8 with no problem.

SRH
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 01:36 AM
Yes, it’s the old Perazzi guns where the problem lies, Types I, II and III. Yours is likely a Type IV which are good to go. The B and P Comp I shells are great great loads. I’m surprised they aren’t working out well in your Fox gun. Good luck Stan
Yes, mine is a Winchester imported type 4. 54XXX serial number range. Thanks, buzz.

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
I've used RST and Gamebore in both 16's and 12's. Gamebore typically has a much narrower selection of loads, pressure is higher (between 7000 and 8000 psi roughly) and way more recoil. Now that I have access to RST, I am using my Gamebore for actual hunting and will likely not replace it when it's gone.

Don't forget, Kent has just brought out a lowish pressure 2 1/2" load.

That's a fair point. Until that recent low pressure load, the Gamebores we've seen in this country have been almost exclusively field loads, not target loads.

That being said, 7-8,000 psi isn't particularly high in terms of pressure. Well below the service pressure of 10,730 psi for CIP "standard proof" guns.
Posted By: canvasback Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 01:34 PM
Agreed Larry. I was just trying to make the point that, while well below CIP, the Gamebore are typically higher than the RST.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 03:10 PM
I have never understood the Mania toward Super low pressures. Any gun I own which will not handle 8K psi is to me purely a Wall Hanger. I have one gun which is in such sad condition I do not shoot it even with Black. I keep it purely because it belonged to my Grandfather. The rest including Damascus & Twist I have for a number of years shot with loads in the 7K-8K range with never a sweat.

I was never a competitive shooter, but a hunter so most of my shells I want to ensure will perform up to Snuff even under cold conditions, thus I do not prefer loads with less than around 7K.
Posted By: King Brown Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 03:53 PM
+1
Posted By: PALUNC Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 06:58 PM
Has anyone mentioned Caledonian shotshells? I purchase and shoot them. They are 2 5/8 and can be had in 3/4, 7/8 and 1 ounce loads.
At around $66 a flat they are a bargain and they perform great.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 07:01 PM
RST, I had a friend purchase a flat of 16 gauge paper loads at the Southern last weekend.
Shooting them in his fantastic Grant gun. On at least two occasions the brass separated from the paper causing the paper hull to lodge inside the chamber.
That's all I needed to see.
Posted By: eeb Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/04/18 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Has anyone mentioned Caledonian shotshells? I purchase and shoot them. They are 2 5/8 and can be had in 3/4, 7/8 and 1 ounce loads.
At around $66 a flat they are a bargain and they perform great.

Never heard of them. Where do you find them?
Posted By: old colonel Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 12:07 AM
http://www.shellsrusllc.com/caledonian.html

No 16 ga Caledonian exported to the US that I know of

As for the cheditte paper hull RST uses (both RST and Polywad source the same plastic chedittes) it is not as uncommon as we would wish. It has happened to me with the cheditte paper hulls I got from BPI
Posted By: Woody402 Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: old colonel

As for the cheditte paper hull RST uses (both RST and Polywad source the same plastic chedittes) it is not as uncommon as we would wish. It has happened to me with the cheditte paper hulls I got from BPI

What was the issue you had with the paper hulls? I have a bunch I havent loaded up yet.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 01:24 AM
My guy who distributes Caledonian says he has 16 gauge. I don't shoot a 16 so I have not inquired further.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 01:29 AM
Contact Carl Emilson at ON POINT MARKETING in Florida.
961-373-8192.
I shoot the Club loads in all my English guns. I like the 3/4 ounce and the 7/8 ounce. They also have paper shells as well.
Posted By: old colonel Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Woody402
Originally Posted By: old colonel

What was the issue you had with the paper hulls? I have a bunch I havent loaded up yet.

Had one BPI paper hull separate. Not a big deal. I probably used the wrong words to make it seem more common an issue than it likely is.

Just about every new paper hull out is cheddite made so regardless of whose shells you buy it’s an equal field.
Posted By: old colonel Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 02:34 AM
PALUNC do you know the pressures on particular Caledonian loads?
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: RST, Gamebore, or Polywad Vintagers - 05/05/18 06:27 AM
I love rst and polywad. Both are very helpful online and on the phone. Rst gives a little more to our hobby so I give it the nod. I am a stock wood junky and I couldn't dream of shooting anything else through my guns and risk ruining the very reason I bought them
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com