doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: pod transferring guns - 04/22/18 10:35 PM
The time has come to let some
of the guns go to my son. I live in n. Carolina my son lives in new Hampshire. cane I send him the guns directly or do I have to go thru a ffl dealer? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: transferring guns - 04/22/18 11:08 PM
I think you'll have to ship to an FFL and let the FFL book the transfer...Geo

Out of State transfer.
Posted By: ed good Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 01:58 AM
pod: last i heard, atf rules only apply to interstate commercial transactions and do not apply to gifts...here is a link to the atf website if you wish to obtain latest reg direct from horses mouth, so to speak...

https://www.atf.gov/contact
Posted By: Kutter Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 02:24 AM
Has to go thru an FFL at the recv'g end w/a 4473 and NICS check being done.
There's no exemption for out of state gifts to family members or others.
The only exception I'm aware of that exempts the nonresident transfer from going thru an FFL is where a firearm is left to the non-resident as an inheritance in the legal will of the deceased owner.

Make sure that the FFL in NH is willing to accept the firearms from a Non-FFL from out of state for the transfer process if the OP is intending to ship them himself.
Some will,,some will not.
The regs are clear that it is completely legal to do so, but many FFL's will not accept firearms from other than another FFL.
That subject has been beaten to near death already but the real issue here is just to save problems and make sure the transfer goes smoothly.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca
Posted By: pod Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 11:33 AM
thank you for the info.
Posted By: gunut Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 02:58 PM
just throw them in the truck and take a road trip.....nobody knows if they are yours or his to start with....
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 03:12 PM
Take a look at the States you'll have to drive through on a road trip...Geo
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 06:34 PM
I've sold SxS's to out of state individuals and bought them from out of state - person to person, no FFL.
Posted By: keith Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Take a look at the States you'll have to drive through on a road trip...Geo

Geo has a point. The guns could have been gifted to the son when he still lived with his Dad, and Dad is merely taking his son's guns to him. Nothing illegal about that, or for the son to go back to his Dad's house to get his guns.

But where the problem lies is in the remote possibility that he may be stopped in one of several states controlled by Liberal Left anti-gun Democrats. Although it is not illegal to transport long guns across the country as long as they are secure and unloaded, most Democrat politicians have nothing better to do than harass law abiding citizens for the crime of exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. (Some localities may have stricter laws, especially those controlled by anti-gun Democrats) This is not opinion... it is a proven fact. It makes you wonder why any gun owner would be stupid enough to vote for those who willfully infringe upon their rights.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
I've sold SxS's to out of state individuals and bought them from out of state - person to person, no FFL.

I'm sure that was all done prior to 1968...Geo

You really don't want to pursue this any further on a public website.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 07:11 PM
I’ve had many a non gun double shipped directly to my door. All made well before 1898 which made them antiques according to the rules and laws where I live. Well antiques to some are state of the art. It is KY after all and we don’t like those new fangeled precision cap guns. Good honest flint and steel for us.

I’ve been looking for a nice 14-20 bore double barrel flint shotgun for five season. Only ones I’ve found are badly pitted or worth three grand asking price. Even looked at one at Holts but the reserve was more than the max bid I had on it.
Posted By: Alder adder Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 09:21 PM
I think that you can send them to yourself, care of your son. Declaring the intent to use them to hunt with when you arrive there. Technically, only you can open the boxes when you arrive.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: transferring guns - 04/23/18 11:45 PM

Just because you physically did it does not make it legal.
Posted By: GMCS Re: transferring guns - 04/24/18 01:28 AM
If you are going to visit sometime mail them to yourself at your sons. When you are there give them to him
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: transferring guns - 04/24/18 01:35 AM
Have your son drive down and give them to him. Then he can drive home with them since they are now his.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: transferring guns - 04/24/18 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: GMCS
If you are going to visit sometime mail them to yourself at your sons. When you are there give them to him

Point is, it is a transfer between citizens of different States, and the Gun Control law requires the paperwork. Even if he comes down or you go up to make the transfer person to person, the guns still need to go through an FFL's book and the recipient must complete the 4473. There may also be State laws to consider...Geo

The USA is no longer a gun friendly environment.
Posted By: Dave K Re: transferring guns - 04/24/18 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley

Just because you physically did it does not make it legal.

Correct ! And just because you got away with it "for now"-hope that the buyer does not have one of those guns stolen-or worse a backtrace if ends up in robbery/death,you might not later.
Your risking a felony-and perhaps losing your guns and right to buy guns to avoid a transfer fee that a buyer should pay anyway.

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answer...state-he-or-she

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Posted By: arrieta2 Re: transferring guns - 04/24/18 10:26 PM
Please do not listen some of the bad advice that some here have given you. You have to abide by both state and federal law when it comes to transferring of guns. What some have suggested to you do is totally illegal. Would get caught, probably not?

Put your mind at ease, call the local ATF office. They have two divisions, compliance and enforcement. Try to speak to someone in the enforcement division. I have found them to be very helpful when I wanted clarification on something that I wanted to do. They have always been very helpful and professional on the phone. Then make a decision when you get the proper way to do it.

John Boyd

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com