doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 01:40 AM
In Tulsa and have found a decent Three Barrel drilling. It’s a 12ga x 12ga x 30-30. A grade 1 with what appeared to have an engraved bear on the left side. The price was $850. Not educated on these at all, is that price out of line? I didn’t look it over much but the overall condition maybe 50%. I did see a stock repair behind the top tang. Assuming it may have cracked and repaired.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 01:59 AM
Sounds in the ball park. If you have the serial number I can check my copy of the records.
Posted By: battle Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 03:18 AM
I’ll try and get it.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 10:54 AM
Usually the grade 2 guns had a good amount of engraving with a bear on one side and a deer on the other. I do not think the grade 1 guns typically have any animals on them. Just line engraving and light scroll. Maybe I am thinkkng of the 0 grade.

12 over 30-30 is a great combo. Does it have round breech balls or sculpted ones?

Stock damage on these guns is not uncommon. Many of them are found with blown out sections on the bottoms or split heads. It was surely a product of either wood quality it or the quality of the inletting and action design.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 02:17 PM
The Hollenbeck Gun Co. had Grades 1 to 5. Three-Barrel Gun Co. added the lower priced 0-Grade and also cataloged Grades 1, 2 and 3. The No. 1 from the circa 1907 Three-Barrel Gun Co. catalog --

A Three-Barrel Gun Co. Grade 1, 16 x 16 x .25-35 --

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 03:17 PM
Dave, is the gun with a bear on it a Grade 1 ? Interesting.
Posted By: LGF Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 04:41 PM
That's a funny looking opossum.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: LGF
That's a funny looking opossum.

that's exactly what I thought...Geo
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 06:20 PM
The records list that gun as a Grade 1. I have seen the bear on Three-Barrel Gun Co. Grades 1, 2 and I think also 3, but a bit of a computer problem lost me quite a few pictures I use to have. Looking at the cuts in my 1907 Three-Barrel Gun Co. catalog with a magnifying glass it appears Grade 1, 2 and 3 all have the bear on the left side.
Posted By: battle Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 07:11 PM
I was to late. It’s sold.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/07/18 10:11 PM
Researcher, I think that pictured gun is a 25-35. wink
And personally i think if a game scene engraved three barrel gun is sound and in a condition worth having $850 is an absolute steal.
Posted By: doublenut Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/08/18 03:27 AM
Battle,
I’m in Tulsa and missed that Hollenbeck/Three Barrel Gun Co. drilling. There is also another one on the lower level row #1 about in the middle of the row. It unfortunately is over priced. I also have two Three Barrel Gun Co SBT Trap Guns on my table on the lower level Row #2 Table 12. You will probably never see two of them next to each other again! If the gun you saw was in serviceable condition that would have been a good buy!
Posted By: battle Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/09/18 01:52 PM
That is about where I saw the gun. It was standing in a rotating rack.
Posted By: doublenut Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/09/18 04:40 PM
I also saw a 16/16x.30-30 on Ron Pederson’s Table yesterday. A very serviceable gun w/nice Damascus barrels and good wood. It was SN# 797 if I remember correctly. Chokes were fairly open so not sure if original chokes. Asking price was $2100.00
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/09/18 09:26 PM
#797 is a 12 x 12 x .32-40 Grade 0 with Damascus barrels according to the ledger.
Posted By: topgun Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/09/18 10:26 PM
Researcher:
What do those records say about Three Barrel Gun Co. #701?
Appears to be a Grade O gun in 12x12x32-40 with 28" Damascus barrels. Thanks in advance
Tom
Posted By: doublenut Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/09/18 11:25 PM
I obviously wrote the serial number down wrong. The gun was stamped w/30-30 on the left side of the forend lug and the tag said 16 Ga. It had the bear/deer engraving on it as well as a maker’s butt plate.
Posted By: terc Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 01:05 AM
Researcher, Do you have the The Three Barrel Gun Co. ledgers now ?
I owned two of the drillings a while back. To verify originality
I had to contact a fellow in New Mexico. He lived in a remote house that didn't have electricity. You had to call him between certain hours, his phone only worked while he ran his generator.
He supplied no letter only a verbal list of the guns features.
I think his name is Maurice Munge (or something close to that).
terc
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 02:19 AM
Quote:
Researcher:
What do those records say about Three Barrel Gun Co. #701?
Appears to be a Grade O gun in 12x12x32-40 with 28" Damascus barrels. Thanks in advance
Tom

#701, Grade 0, 12 x 12 x .32-40, 28-inch, Damascus, 7 pounds 14 ounces, 1/2 grip, 14-inch length-of-pull, 1 5/8 inch drop-at-comb, 2 5/8 inch drop-at-heel.

I was gifted, from a Florida collector, the copy of the ledger that Rudolf J. Kostelecky, Rudy's Gun Shop, Cantonment, Fla., had. Rudy had a lot of the remains of Hollenbeck/Three-Barrel/Royal Gun Co. and assembled and sold off some guns from the 50s into the 70s. According to the March 27, 1999, Amoskeag Auction Company catalog selling the Maurice Mudge Collection, he had the original. If Maurice is still with us he recently turned 85.

Dave
Posted By: topgun Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 12:29 PM
Many thanks for that information David; and the gun still remains, and is consistent to the specs you've noted as being recorded in the ledger. As FYI I was curious because the serial numbers on the frame, barrel flats, fore iron, and even the engraved number on the trigger guard strap have been punched over and are no longer legible; but the serial number stamps on the underside of the trigger guard strap and the stock clearly show #701 (I've not disassembled the gun). Perhaps the gun was stolen at some point in the past and the serial numbers defaced in an effort to conceal identity? Obviously we'll never know, but the gun remains in good condition and exhibits a very good appearance otherwise; HOWEVER it doesn't work because the right side cocking rod is broken, so where can one find parts for this old shooter grade TBG?
Thanks
Tom
Posted By: topgun Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 12:52 PM
"I had to contact a fellow in New Mexico. He lived in a remote house that didn't have electricity. You had to call him between certain hours, his phone only worked while he ran his generator.
He supplied no letter only a verbal list of the guns features.
I think his name is Maurice Munge (or something close to that)."

David is correct, this individual's name was Maurice Mudge. I first became aware of Maurice in about 1989 when I became interested in researching and collecting SAC guns and heard that he had a few examples. Maurice owned a gun shop in up-state New York and we used to visit via telephone from time to time. He shared copies of old magazine adds and stories of guns he'd seen and/or owned, shared serial numbers and grade data on the 5 SAC guns in his collection; and said he owned a collection totaling 25 of the Hollenbeck drillings (seemed to have a passion for these drillings). It was thru these conversations that I first heard of Rudy Kostelecky; and that Rudy owned the surviving company records and parts. In one of my last conversations with Maurice he told me he'd purchased those records and parts from Rudy; but where they are now I've no idea, nor do I know if Maurice is still with us either. The last time I spoke to Maurice he announced he was retiring; said he'd purchased 500 acres in New Mexico and would be selling his shop and relocating there. This was sometime in the mid to late 90's and I've not heard from him since. Many of his guns were sold at auction by Amoskeag; and from that auction I purchased an early Grade D SAC gun he owned. Interestingly, there was only one of Maurice's Hollenbeck drillings offered in that auction; a high grade example with engraved dogs, and I heard that one of our members here purchased that gun? I've no idea where the others went; but have wondered if they were purchased by the collector who's recently consigned multiple Hollenbeck drillings to Cherry's.
Posted By: doublenut Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 09:59 PM
According to Ron Peterson Mr. Mudge is still with us. He has moved back to New York and is no longer in New Mexico. Mr. Mudge sold his SAC’s/Hollenbeck collection at the March 27th, 1999 Amoskeag Auction.

Posted By: Phail Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/10/18 11:34 PM
One Friday night in 1992 I got a call from Mr Mudge. He found out
from Devine's Auction that I had bought 2 Kirkwood Shell Boxes-
He wanted one and I sold one.
In our conversation he told me about his collection of Drillings-this interested me as I had a Kirkwood Drilling. He wanted me to
be on the lookout for Three Barrell Gun Co serial # 5 1/2 a
20 X 20 X 25xx ( Do not remember exact Caliber).
The next day I went to the Charlotte NC Gunshow- low and behold
I found the Gun-called Mr Mudge that night -he wanted gun-$1500
Sent someone to get it the next day-all was happy.

Several years latter I went on a business meeting-drug along
4 Kirkwoods and took a day trip to see Mr Mudge.
Saw his guns and records-saw the Ledger with gun 5 1/2 listed

At that time Morris had a beautiful Lefever B Grade Side-Cocker
Drilling-showed him my D Kirkwood 34 in Hammer Drilling 12x12x
38-55-He smiled

Later bought a Hammerless D Kirkwood Drilling paradox 12x12x38-55
from him.
Knew he Moved-Glad to hear he is still up and around

My Drillings will be at The Southern- if you wish to shoot them
bring you shells-also Kirkwood Doubles

Regards
Bill McPhail
Posted By: doublenut Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 12:45 AM
I always wondered about SN # 5 1/2! Why it was Serial numbered that way and if it still existed. I’d love to see that gun! I have #7 and didn’t know of any in existence below that. Neat story Phil. Thanx for sharing.
Posted By: topgun Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 12:08 PM
Bill
Looking forward to seeing you at the Southern; where will your table be?
Tom
Posted By: Phail Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 12:42 PM
Front tent-same as last year I assume.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Will bring my Kirkwoods and have an unofficial
"Team Kirkwood"-pick a gun -shooter supplies RST shells
Bill
Posted By: Phail Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 12:44 PM
Front tent-same as last year I assume.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Will bring my Kirkwoods and have an unofficial
"Team Kirkwood"-pick a gun -shooter supplies RST shells
Bill
Posted By: topgun Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 01:40 PM
Bill
There's two "front" tents; so for clarification, will you be in the "front" tent by the clubhouse or the "front" tent down there next to the RST shells display? (I know, I'm being a smart-a#*)
Posted By: Phail Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 01:48 PM
Tom
The Tent right by the RST Truck-
Tables in the middle on the side of the RST Truck
See you there
Bill
Posted By: DrBob Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 02:38 PM
This post made us (Lefever Arms Collectors Association) decide to reproduce the American Drilling display that we had in Baltimore at the Southern. On display will be drillings from: D. M. Lefever (sidecocker). Lefever Arms Co. (AA grade), Baker, L.C. Smith, Hallenbeck, Three Barrel Gun Co, Royal Gun Co., and D. Kirkwood.
We will be in the tent down from Bill, closer to the L.C. Smith/Parker tent if everything is the same as the last few years. There will be a few Lefevers for sale and several high grades on display.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/11/18 06:23 PM
The LACA display is very nice. I saw it at Baltimore. Well worth the price of admission all by itself.
Posted By: terc Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/12/18 12:59 AM
Has the gun that was made for TR been found ?
Do the records show the specs and serial # ?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/12/18 03:11 PM
Serial number 1340 a Grade 0 Spec., 12 x 12 x .32-40, 28-inch Krupp barrels, 7 pounds 8 ounces, full pistol grip, 15-inch length-of-pull with recoil pad, 1 1/2 inch drop-at-comb, 2 3/4 inch drop-at-heel, is listed as Sold to: Smithsonian Institution (for Africa trip) 3-2-09. No mention of TR and with that length-of-pull I'd think it was actually intended for someone else.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/12/18 03:24 PM
TRs African guns
https://books.google.com/books?id=6B5YAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA323
https://books.google.com/books?id=6B5YAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA466&lpg
No mention of the Ithaca 4E, but the list was compiled by WRAC

Kermit went with TR and was taller and thinner; second from left

From Through The Brazilian Wilderness written by Theodore Roosevelt in 1914 regarding the Roosevelt–Rondon Scientific Expedition down the Rio da Dúvida (later the Roosevelt River):
"For arms the naturalists took 16-bore shotguns, one of (George K.) Cherrie's having a rifle barrel underneath. The firearms for the rest of the party were supplied by Kermit and myself, including my Springfield rifle, Kermit's two Winchesters, a 405 and 30-40, the Fox 12-gauge shotgun, and another 16-gauge gun, and a couple of revolvers, a Colt and a Smith & Wesson."
George K. Cherrie's journal
http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/6458

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/12/18 03:53 PM
I had the serial number of TR's Ithaca. Probably still do somewhere around here. The factory journals that contained it are in Cody. I am cleaning out so I will post it if it turns up.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Three Barrel Gun Co drilling - 04/12/18 09:02 PM
Decades ago when my wife and I toured Sagamore Hill there was a No. 4 Ithaca Flues in one of the displays that was marked as having gone on the Africa trip, but of course tourists couldn't really get close enough to it to read a serial number.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com