doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark II Rem. M-11 - 03/27/18 07:44 PM
I know it isn't sxs, but..... Does anyone know if the 16 ga. M-11 was built on the 12 gauge frame or the 20 ga. Thanks.
Posted By: volleyfire Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/27/18 08:20 PM
The 16 was built on its own frame, closer to the 20 but a few thousandths off.
Posted By: bobski Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 01:32 AM
the 12,16,20 were all seperate animals.
i have all 3, strong guns.
classic pogo sticks.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 02:33 AM
Anybody know why the Remingtons need a shock buffer and the A-5 doesn't ?
Posted By: volleyfire Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 03:29 AM
Instead of doing this one question at a time go to Steve'spages.com and look up the owners manual.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 03:44 PM
Shock buffer Mark? I have several A5's, no Remington 11's, but in looking at parts diagrams of each I see no buffer? Are you referring to a tube-type device in the stock? If so, I believe that is the main spring housing and looks to be the same in both guns? Help or more confusing??
Posted By: skeettx Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 05:23 PM
Part #13

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/11-2
Posted By: Mark II Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 08:10 PM
It's a hard fiber buffer in the back of the receiver, held in by a rivet. I've been working on a 12 ga. that lost it and had the back left corner of the bolt broken off. Just trying to figure out why A-5's can get away with out having one.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 11:01 PM
I cannot give the answer as to why remingtons need the recoil pad and the Browings and Savages do not. It must be something different about the deaign that results in a damaged bolt in the remingtons and not in the others.

The pad is held in by a blind rivet that is pretty difficult to completely remove as to allow a new one to be installed the same way. I have seen a few receivers accidentally drilled through the back bu someone trying to remove it.

The few that i have had to do, i have chiseled the old rivet off flush, cleaned the area well and epoxied a new pad in place.
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/28/18 11:06 PM
Mark II I have worked on a lot of Rem 11 many years ago, they were a great work horse duck hunters gun around here. The A5 Browning has a cut in the back of the receiver as clearance for the firing pin on recoil, the Remington used the fibre cushion riveted in from the inside. There were special tools available for rivet installation and to set the rivet in the cushion. When Remington was Remington, their field service guys stressed you had to have the cushion so when the guy gets an over size shell jammed and they put the butt on the ground and their shoe on the Operating handle and give it a kick start, when the barrel breaks loose and carries the loaded shell back to the no-cushion end of the receiver, wham! Lucky it goes just past your ear.
An old gunsmith of that era that helped me a lot when I started in 1974, had that happen in his basement. Guy with a jammed gun, Andy asked him if it was loaded, no, says the owner, so Andy gives it the kick start, bamm,. right up into the floorboards of the floor up stairs. Later,when Andy is telling me Andy says :look at that, thats the phone wire, Sophie was on the phone just above when it happened. Andy told me he made the guy pay to repair
Posted By: Mark II Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/29/18 12:07 AM
There is a diagram of the needed tooling in Dunlop's Gunsmithing book. I'll get one of the guys to turn them up. I'll let my buddy that owns the gun not to use the kick starter.
Posted By: jlb Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/29/18 08:16 PM
I have a Remington sportsman 20 gauge which holds two in the magazine and one in the barrel. Is my gun like the model 11? Looks like a Browning without the magazine cutoff.

jborn
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/29/18 11:40 PM
Yes. Any Remington Autoloader made under the browning patents is technically a model 11.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 03:53 AM
Originally Posted By: jlb
I have a Remington sportsman 20 gauge which holds two in the magazine and one in the barrel. Is my gun like the model 11? Looks like a Browning without the magazine cutoff.

jborn

The 12-gauge John M. Browning designed autoloading shotgun was introduced by Remington Arms Co. in 1905 as the "Remington Autoloading Shotgun." In 1911, Marcellus Hartley Dodge combined his arms and ammunition companies as Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. and in their 1911-12 catalog they began calling the gun the Model No. 11. In 1930, a 20-gauge was added to the Model 11 line and a three-shot version of this 20-gauge called the "Sportsman" was introduced. The 20-gauge Model 11 had serial numbers beginning at 1000000. The 20-gauge "Sportsman" had serial numbers beginning with S1. In 1931, a 16-gauge Model 11 was introduced with serial numbers beginning with 1500000. Also the "Sportsman" was introduced in 12- and 16-gauges, with 12-gauge serial numbers beginning with S500000 and the 16-gauge with serial numbers beginning at S200000. In the early years the "Sportsman" A "Standard" Grade had three-bird roll-stamping on both sides of the receiver, while the Model 11A "Standard" Grade receiver remained plain. About 1936, Remington Arms Co., Inc. (now majority owned by DuPont) reduced the roll-stamping to one bird on each side of the "Sportsman" receiver and began putting it on the Model 11 receivers as well. During 1937 and 8 they phased out the separate serial number sequences for the "Sportsman" and from then on they were serial numbered right along with the Model 11.

Posted By: jlb Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 09:32 PM
Thanks Researcher for the information.

My gun with a 28 inch matted barrel was purchased in 1938 by my father and I shot my first pheasant with the gun many years ago. Great memories.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 09:43 PM
Remington model 11's were the guns of my youth. I never had one because I was the odd man out among my friends in shooting a pumpgun. A 20 ga model 31 Remington to be exact.

But my friends all had either a Browning if their daddy could afford it or a Remington 11. Most were the model 11's.

I recall a trip my best friend and I took on a Trailways Bus from south Georgia to middle Georgia to visit my grandparents and spend a week turned loose on the farm with our shotguns. We were about 13 and I had my pump and my buddy had a model 11.

We carried them on the bus and held them in our hands the entire trip. No one even looked sideways at us. Can you imagine that today?...Geo
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 10:10 PM
Geo;
Sometime between 1960 & 1964 I drove into the Jack Daniels Distillery are unstopped. I parked my car, removed an uncased Parker 12 gauge, broke it open & hung it over my arm & walked into a building with it. I found the gentleman I was seeking & gave it to him. He was a gunsmith & when he finished with it he gave me call & I went back to the Distillery & picked it up in a similar manner, times have "Changed".
Posted By: GLS Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 10:24 PM
About 25 years or more BC (before cellphones) I high centered by vehicle turkey hunting 4 miles from the nearest highway. I walked out and hitch-hiked back to my buddy's car lot so he could pull me out with his wrecker. I was carrying my 835 and was in full turkey battle gear. A young man picked me up and drove me to town and let me out about 3 blocks from Jerry's lot. Out of curiosity I asked the fellow who gave me the ride why he stopped to pick me up with me carrying a shotgun. "By the time I saw the gun, it was too late." Jerry and his brother saw me about a half a block away coming to their lot and were rolling on the ground laughing. Today, I would have attracted a bevy of squad cars. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 10:59 PM
I remember one of my friends had a 16ga model 11 of the variety which had no ejection handle. Instead it had a knurled section of barrel out at the end.

My buddy wasn't big enough to reach out and cycle the gun by pulling the barrel. He always put the butt on the ground and wrapped both hands around the knurled section of barrel and pushed it down...just past his ear.

Even as a kid I knew that was going to end badly. Never did though as far as I know and he must have grown into the gun...Geo
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/30/18 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I remember one of my friends had a 16ga model 11 of the variety which had no ejection handle. Instead it had a knurled section of barrel out at the end.

My buddy wasn't big enough to reach out and cycle the gun by pulling the barrel. He always put the butt on the ground and wrapped both hands around the knurled section of barrel and pushed it down...just past his ear.

Even as a kid I knew that was going to end badly. Never did though as far as I know and he must have grown into the gun...Geo

That was the Winchester Model 1911. Designed by TC Johnson. Affectionately called the “widowmaker”.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/31/18 12:10 AM
And it was a 12 gauge.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/31/18 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
And it was a 12 gauge.

Winny 1911? Or you talking about a different gun? Didn’t the 1911 come in 12-16-20 & 28 gauges??
Posted By: Researcher Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/31/18 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

That was the Winchester Model 1911. Designed by TC Johnson. Affectionately called the “widowmaker”.

As far as I know, the Winchester Model 1911 (the big W's first feeble attempt to get around John M. Browning's Patents) was only made in 12-gauge.

The great W.C. Fields with a Winchester Model 1911.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/31/18 03:52 AM
Thank you, Researcher. I’ve only ever examined 2 Mod. 1911’s. Both of them were indeed 12’s, and both of these guns stocks were in shambles, and the guns themselves were pretty beat up too. The guns seemed very Rube Goldberg’ish....buffers, rings, more buffers, etc.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Rem. M-11 - 03/31/18 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil

Could have been a 12ga, wasn't my gun. "Widowmaker"; pretty appropriate nick-name!. Thanks to all for the correction regarding the make of the gun...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com