doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 04:43 PM
Brownell's is saying they are 3-5 days behind shipping orders.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 05:05 PM
How do you like or rate their hollow ground screw driver sets?
Chapman? Grace?
Posted By: SKB Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 05:14 PM
I bought the full set in gunsmithing school. They work fine on regular everyday American guns with wide slots. I bought the thin bit insert set and they have been quick to break or bend. I keep forgetting to ask but I think Brownell's will replace the damaged ones as long as you do not grind on them. Truth be told......I like old Stanley screw drivers I can buy for 1$ at pawn shops. Excellent steel that hold up well. Grind to fit as you need.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 05:19 PM
Thanks SKB. I've heard that from other gunsmiths also. But for the casual user they should be fine?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 05:23 PM
yeah, I'm waiting on an order at least 5 days now. Normally, I get it within 24 hrs (they are close to me).
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 05:47 PM
I have the thin bit set. I don't use them too often, but I have not broken any yet. I did manage to bend one slightly out of line however. They seem decent for the money.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 07:00 PM
I've used the thin blade set for years and had some tough screws. None have broke on me. And they mount in a drill press, which is my preferred method when fighting a grumpy screw. Strongly recommend. Problem I've had with carefully grinding old screwdrivers down to .020 is they all bend with just a little torque.
Posted By: ed good Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 07:17 PM
joe: before grinding, heat with torch till red, then let air cool...after grinding, heat with torch till red, then quench in used motor oil...should then be hard enough not to bend...plus, the torch creates nice colors on the metal...knuck, knuck, knuck...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 07:44 PM
Yeah, Ed. Then they will break and ruin the screw head or surrounding metal. Stick to what you know best, ruining gun frames.

SRH
Posted By: SamW Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 07:46 PM
Good one Ed!
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 08:02 PM
The secret here is when grinding do not allow it to get hot enough to Draw the temper. "IF" it is allowed to overheat then it will have to be annealed & re-hardened as said, but "Do NOT" leave at full hardness, it must be drawn to a workable temper to avoid breakage.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 08:30 PM
The secret is not to let Ed anywhere near your tools or guns or anything else made out of metal.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 09:37 PM
I have used Brownells Magnatips for decades. Their guarantee notwithstanding, I can't recall that I have ever broken one.

My only experience with Grace was, well, I don't understand why they're still on the market.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 11:02 PM
Funny... The method for working the driver tips is the same as refinishing shotgun frames.

Back to the topic at hand... yeah, I placed an order a few weeks ago. I have received it, but it did seem to take a lot longer than normal to get it.

On a related topic, i had to install a buttplate on a fox model B the other day. It was not a high condition gun, so i was going to just use one of Brownells universal buttplates as they are almost the same in style. I only had Small and Medium on hand. I went to order some larges and they are backordered on ALL sizes of that plate! They really have to get their stuff together on some of this stuff.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 11:05 PM
I, also, have been using a Brownell's set for over 25 years. The only break I have had was one bit which broke a tiny corner off the blade. I didn't bother to see if they would replace it. The only complaint is that I just obsess over the "slop" that exists when the bit is slipped into the magnetic shaft/handle. That slop has never caused me a problem, I just don't like it. I envy the pros who have twenty or thirty, or more, individually ground "turnscrews". But, my laziness and frugality have prevented my going that route, so far.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/09/18 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
Brownell's is saying they are 3-5 days behind shipping orders.

If you had more business you'd work on something else instead of whining on here...
Posted By: Mark II Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/10/18 02:20 AM
Regular Manna tips are guaranteed for life, the thin bits are not. Try waiting for an order to be filled while you wait! They have a help wanted sign out, if anyone is interested.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Plan ahead..... - 03/10/18 01:18 PM
I have never had an issue with brownells replacing the thin bits (number 1 and 2) at no charge.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com