doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle Reading proof markings *NEW PIC ADDED* - 03/08/18 02:20 AM
3 ton nitro?

AJ Russell 28ga.

Posted By: skeettx Re: Reading proof markings - 03/08/18 05:37 AM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=297079

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=98
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 01:00 PM
Looks like 3 1/4 ton. But I can't read that or the chamber length, even blowing up the photos. 2 1/2" or 2 3/4"?
Posted By: vabirddog Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 03:31 PM
Looks like reproofed at 2 3/4 to me
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 03:58 PM
I don't know if it was reproffed at 2 3/4 or just restamped to look like it was. Maybe our British board members can tell us. Clearly it looks like it was proofed at 2 1/2" and it clearly reads 2 3/4" now. Were 2 1/2" guns proofed at 3 1/4 tons or just 2 3/4" guns? Either way CIP loads should be the max used in this gun. Some of the reloads Skeet and Sporting Clay shooters load will be above those proof loads.
Posted By: vabirddog Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 04:26 PM
The new line reads per 1954 rules. As per stamping without actual proof I guess consider the source, caveat emptor.
Posted By: 300846 Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 06:26 PM
There should be a reproof "R" mark somewhere if it has been to a UK proof house ?
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Reading proof markings - 03/16/18 07:41 PM
I am sorry to be negative but the marks do not look good to me. Or at least some don't. We need a much clearer photo taken perpendicular to the flats to be even vaguely sure but it looks a bit like some over-stamping has taken place. I have seen this before and was happy that it was genuine but the general rule is that length and load were not over-stamped so that one could read the history. View and definitive marks were often over-stamped especially where room was at a premium.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Reading proof markings - 03/19/18 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: 300846
There should be a reproof "R" mark somewhere if it has been to a UK proof house ?

It's not at all unusual to find Brit guns that have clearly undergone reproof (as the marks show) but don't have the R/crown reproof mark.
Posted By: battle Re: Reading proof markings - 03/19/18 02:19 PM
I'm getting the gun under 3 day inspection. I'll get better pics taken when I take possession.
Posted By: battle Re: Reading proof markings - 03/24/18 10:35 PM
New pic

Posted By: skeettx Re: Reading proof markings - 03/25/18 12:54 AM
Sure looks like a re-proof

to 2 3/4 " cartridges
and 3 1/4 tons per square "

Mike
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Reading proof markings - 03/26/18 02:31 AM
Birmingham nitro proofs. Does look a little strange, but I have limited experience looking at reproofs. The Birmingham proof house could tell you definitively whether these proofs were done by them. Send a clear photo and ask them?
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Reading proof markings - 03/26/18 07:16 PM
Sorry battle, but I am still unsure about these marks. The '1/4' that follows the '3' overlaps with the 'tons' in a most unusual way and the '3' looks rather different (and fresher) than the 'tons...'.
Also the '1/2' of '2 1/2' has been overstamped with the '3/4', again most unusual for this to be done when there is plenty of space to put in a fresh '2 3/4"'mark.
The date stamp is unclear but appears to be in the range of 1950 to 1974, left letter might be an S which would be for 1967. The Imperial bore measurement was introduced in 1954 along with 'tons per [square]"' mark.
Quite correct that the reproof 'R' was sometimes missed off but by this date it was the exception rather than the rule.
I have to say I think the marks are suspect at best.
As Chukarman says above, only Birmingham Proof House could confirm one way or the other. Phone them, they are quite helpful.
Posted By: gunman Re: Reading proof markings - 03/28/18 11:04 AM
Never mind the proof marks .I would worry about the rest of the gun form the batted look of the lumps in the photo .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com