doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle black & white recipe - 06/04/07 12:14 AM
Need a good one for damascus barrel refinishing. Or has anyone used Pilkington's and or Laurel Mountain for black and white?
Posted By: Bill Hambidge Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 01:05 AM
Battle, suggest you get re-prints of Dr. Oscar Gaddy's 3 articles from DGJ on refinishing Damascus in black and white. In the last article he reprints the directions used at the Parker factory. Some of the chemicals needed are Ferric Chloride and Logwood dye. Best, Dr. BILL
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 02:19 AM
Any idea what issues these articles were in? I have all of 2 or 3 DGJ's. Thanks
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 02:53 AM
Suggest you talk to Dale Edmonds 816-444-2040, he uses Oscar's data for damascus.
Craig
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 03:31 AM
The Double Gun Journal Vol 8, Issues 2 and 3, 1997
Posted By: battle Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 03:49 AM
Thanks........
I have spoke with Dale several times, also with Buck. Prolly be talking with Dale tomorrow.

I have only recently started collecting DGJ, mine doesn't go back that far. I would appreciate if someone could copy those and email them to me. I would compensate your time and effort.

Take Care,
Posted By: Fred Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 01:47 PM
Summaries of the procedures Oscar described in all three articles are in the FAQ section here. Here's the URL:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...e=1&fpart=2

These also incorporate info from a number of conversations and emails I had with Oscar.

I think you can still buy the back issues of DGJ with his blueing articles.
Posted By: battle Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 02:53 PM
I'm at work...........could someone give me the number of DGJ for back issues?
thanks,
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: black & white recipe - 06/04/07 03:11 PM
Fred: Thanks so much for saving the link to that previous thread! I'll add that to the 'Damascus Barrels' PictureTrail and will also save the text on Word to be sure it's not lost if DoubleGunBBS crashes for some reason. Drew
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com