doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nudge Tiffany engraved American doubles? - 02/28/18 04:54 PM
Gents,

In reading through R.L. Wilson's "Steel Canvas" I came across something rather curious that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. On page 238, amidst commentary about Annie Oakley's Trap Grade L.C. Smith, he recounts the words of a Hunter Arms employee...Charles L. Rogers, who asserted the following:

"When it came to the engraving work on the sidelock plates and the inlay work on the trigger guard...it was decided not to take any chances...These parts were sent to Tiffany in New York, under guarantee of a perfect engraving job..."

This is rather curious, given all the lauded names of Hunter engravers (Krause, et al). Presuming this account is accurate, has anyone else looked into whatever other engraving Tiffany did on American doubles? Was this just a one-off job, or did L.C. Smith (or others?) frequently do this?

I briefly attempted to research with Tiffany, but apparently their research is limited to your submission of a specific piece, and they couldn't point me to any written history on the matter.

- NDG
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tiffany engraved American doubles? - 02/28/18 06:15 PM
Annie in 1899 holding her Smith. The Trap grade was introduced in 1913.

Her portrait was engraved by Tiffany & Co.

Not a great image taken when the gun was in the BBHC collection. It is now at the Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum in L.A.

More details and images on p. 342 of L.C. Smith "The Legend Lives" Her signature was engraved in gold on the trigger guard
Posted By: Nudge Re: Tiffany engraved American doubles? - 03/01/18 12:22 AM
Thank you brother Drew.

Are you aware of Tiffany engraving on other doubles?

NDG
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Tiffany engraved American doubles? - 03/01/18 12:40 AM
Lots of handguns, both genuine and fake apparently
https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/03/guns-tiffanys

You might ask your library to get a copy of "The History and Art of the American Gun: The Art of American Arms" by Robert L Wilson also.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Tiffany engraved American doubles? - 03/01/18 01:21 AM
Drew,

Very interesting. Thanks for the book suggestion, I only have the one by him.

NDG
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com