doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 03:40 AM

aka, "Unusual Shotgun Case".
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=490574&page=1

aka, "Hey eightbore".
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...3036#Post503036

Necessity is truly the mother of invention.
I don't want a takedown case. I've seen a couple of guns go south while being assembled in a parking lot, it wasn't pretty.
Not really interested in buttons, snaps or zippers.
I made a prototype from terrycloth and duct tape.

Posted By: pamtnman Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 04:52 AM
1880s-1890s hunting photos I have seen had rifles wrapped like this for field use
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 09:46 AM
So you're going to put one of your Winchesters in that goofy thing?

Going Rogue? No.

Off the deep end, definitely.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Necessity is truly the mother of invention.

What necessity? What are you needing, or trying to do, that can't be done with a conventional leather gun slip?

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 12:04 PM
Put some very long sleeves and longer tie straps on it and it would make a great straitjacket for Ed Good or Jagermeister.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 12:27 PM
Must be something in the water on the left cOast....
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 12:33 PM
Pattern pieces for a leather one to be custom made?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 02:29 PM
Inner layer will be made of shearling and half attached to the outer leather hide allowing the lateral wings on the inner layer
to fold in before the lambskin folds over onto itself to completely envelope the gun.

Outer layer lateral wings fold in and then outer hide tri-folds over inner shearling and gun.
Easy peezy.

I feel like I kinda underhanded/slow pitched you one with the image of the horses ass
on my template so go ahead, take a swing.

I've an appointment with an artist this afternoon.
A few years ago he made me this leather chair.

I suppose I could have just acquired a cheap metal folding chair instead of
spending money on a custom, hand made, beautiful and comfortable piece of furniture.

You know Stan, no one ever said "Necessity is the mother of CONVENTION".
Posted By: Hammergun Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 03:04 PM
Go for it, Bob. I've been thinking of having a local Amish harnessmaker make a leather case modeled after the old canvas breakdown cases. I have several to use for models and I think a leather version would be handy alternative and plenty of protection for most uses.

Posted By: eightbore Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 06:40 PM
Hammergun, the canvas takedown cases have been reproduced in leather by a Maryland double gun collector and were fine examples and included a reproduction of the Powers cleaning rod included. I don't think I have one in my collection, but my friend may have some left. PM me and I will give you his contact information. They were advertised in the Double Gun Journal as the "Fleetwood Case".
Posted By: volleyfire Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 08:46 PM
Well, we've all got to admit that Keith is getting funnier. That's two good laughs in a month.

But I expected him to say, "Burrito? I ain't got no burrito. We don't need no wrapping burritos!"
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/22/18 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
Put some very long sleeves and longer tie straps on it and it would make a great straitjacket for Ed Good or Jagermeister.

That was a good one.

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
I suppose I could have just acquired a cheap metal folding chair...

I thought about upgrading to one of those. I’m getting too old for these milk crates.

Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 02/23/18 01:52 AM
Materials arrived today.
Doubling up the hide to a thickness of 2mm.
Maybe overkill, we'll see.

Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 03/01/18 09:40 PM
"I have a dream...
that one day gun rugs will not be judged by the color of their hide
but by the protection they offer their contents and the quality of their design and construction.
I have a dream".

Posted By: canvasback Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 03/01/18 10:02 PM
Bob, I have an old A & F case similar to your idea except it's a breakdown. And the straps have buckles. While it's old, and there is lots I like about it, it can be a pain to use because of memory in the folds of the leather. It won't stay unfolded!

My point? Make sure your's is soft, pliable leather that protects the gun but doesn't remember the fold.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: I'm Going Rogue... - 03/02/18 12:11 AM
Yea, but MLK never owned a Model 21. If he did he sure wouldn't put it in that thing.

I don't see it as a whole lot of protection as opposed to a LOM hard case.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com