doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FelixD Broken box lock mainspring - 02/01/18 01:01 AM
The left mainspring broke on my Bland 12 ga box lock. Can anyone recommend someone to craft a new one or who may have a selection of v springs? Thanks.
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/01/18 01:07 AM
JJ Perodeau 580-747-1805
The best!
Posted By: old colonel Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/01/18 01:12 AM
Second on JJ, he did the same repair for me on one of my father’s gun and cocking on that spring is like glass smoothness
Posted By: FelixD Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/01/18 07:24 PM
Thank you for the name.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/02/18 02:32 AM
Twenty years ago I had a shade-tree gunsmith fabricate a new leaf spring for my great grand dad's Parker VHE boxlock. He tempered the spring by putting it in a flaming puddle of motor oil in a coffee can. I've put probably 500 shells through the gun since without a hiccup.

It was easy enough service. He lived at the end of my country road and accepted a bottle for payment. I'd recommend him to you, but for him being on the wrong side of the grass now....
Posted By: gunman Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/03/18 06:22 AM
Hardening is one thing .The correct steel is just as important. There is spring steel and steel that can be used for springs .
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/03/18 12:23 PM
Stephen Hutton at Britania Sporting. Used to work for Churchill. Made a new cocking spring for my Atkin Spring Opener.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/05/18 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: gunman
Hardening is one thing .The correct steel is just as important. There is spring steel and steel that can be used for springs .

Gunman, good point. What alloy would you recommend? I've a fair to middlin' speaking acquaintance with metalurgy, but would like to know what experienced men use.

DDA
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/05/18 05:41 PM
I have made several V Springs in the past using the method Grouse Guy cited. All to the best of my knowledge have given good service, at least the ones I have not lost contact with. I believe that Brownell's may carry spring stock, Dixie Gun Works I assume still does. I once had some from the now defunct I believe Frank Mittermeer firm.

As I recall 1075 will make a good spring, I believe that 1095 is too hard & apt to break. I am sure there are other alloys now in use but these plain carbon steels will make long lasting springs & lend themselves well to "Primitive" methods of heat treating.
Posted By: pomofo Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/05/18 06:07 PM
Brownells sells this mainspring kit, in addition to spring stock. No idea if it's useful to you, but it's at least another option.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/...-prod10071.aspx
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/05/18 09:06 PM
Most manufacturers use 1070. Temper using molten lead. The “kits” from brownells and Dixie use 1070. As stated above..1095 isn’t ideal.

My “new” mainspring/cocking limb for a Lancaster body action was hand cut from 1070, filed to shape and hardened/tempered in molten lead. This is probably the hardest working spring in any type of doublegun. It does a lot of heavy work. It’s holding up extremely well.
Posted By: craigd Re: Broken box lock mainspring - 02/05/18 10:42 PM
I believe 1095 is a pretty common 'spring' steel, but it probably would benefit from by the book heat treating. Not many will identify the steels used, but I believe there are quality gunmakers that use 1095 for mainsprings. I'd also suspect a little less carbon might be easier to get the home heat treating in the ball park. Even lower carbon content than 1070 might be 5160 that has a good chance of turning up as automotive leaf spring. Options are around, I'd think start with a known steel.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com