doublegunshop.com - home
Do any of you guys have any solution to the trigger guard recoiling back into the second finger when firing.
I recently bought a double trigger sxs and I love the gun but its doing a job on my middle finger. I tried using a lighter (7/8 oz.) load, but the recoil is actually cutting my finger.
I had this trouble once before and I bought one of those little pads that screw onto the back of the trigger guard, but that kept loosening.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Pete
Trade in the Purdey for another gun like an 1100 Remington. They are very recoil and finger friendly.
Pete, Maybe they have improved the screw-on trigger guard "bumpers". I have used them with no problems with loosening. Have you looked for options available in the Galazan catalogue or otherwise on the internet?
Before going to trigger bumpers I would look at to other things.

1. Gun Mount- is the gun firmly mounted to your shoulder? I have gotten rattled when I was sloppy with my mount.

2. A subset of #1 is the stock too short, consider trying an add on pad.

I have never found trigger bumpers useful, while it is possible you have large fingers compared to your trigger, My gut is to look at the mount
Thanks for the responses,
Eightbore, I wish I could afford a Purdy, the gun is a Husqvarna 350.
Richard, I will try Galazan's trigger guard bumper, thanks.
Old Colonel, I don't think it's my mount because I can shoot another sxs at the same skeet round, without any problems.
(I shoot low gun)
The stock is actually a lot longer than I usually shoot.
I usually use a stock with 14" length of pull, this one is 14 3/4"
length of pull, but it's a straight stock and I find I can shoot a straight stock with a much longer pull.
Thanks, Pete
Easy Peasy
I use these on the middle finger.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pedifix-Inc-V...13=&veh=sem
Mike

P.S. also works great when shooting lots through a S&W revolver.
How about a glove or some moleskin on the area being abused.

bill
Thanks for the suggestions, I may try the toe bandage or the moleskin.
Thanks guys, Pete
The gun does not fit you properly, specifically, the thumb hole measurement is not right. You likely need to lengthen the thumbhole measurement.
I have a Sauer sidelock from the 1890's that bites me the first shot, then I remember to adjust my grip. Most of my guns have about 7/8" distance from the front to rear trigger. This Sauer has a gapping 1 1/8" and the trigger guard is commensurately longer, enough that the middle finger takes the hit. Feller must have had awfully big fingers or they planned to use heavy winter gloves. smile
sxsman1,

How far are you placing the trigger finger into the trigger itself? Are you pulling it with the first "pad" of your trigger finger, the first crease of your trigger finger, or are you putting the trigger finger further into the guard than either of the previous options, like maybe the second crease?

The reason I ask is ................the further up on your trigger finger you pull the front trigger the nearer the back of the triggerguard your next finger will be. Sometimes it's something as simple as that.

SRH
Stan has a good point. With double trigger guns, one is best suited to set up for the back trigger and use a minimal part of the index finger for the front trigger. This is why the thumbhole needs to be right. In my opinion, the thumbhole measurement is very important with all shotguns but especially so with double triggers. I’m sure people here will argue that point, but they are wrong, plain and simple.
I have never, in my life that I can recall, had a doublegun recoil the trigger guard into my second finger, though I have tried hard to understand why it happens to some.

This is the only reason I can think of, aside from a child with small hands trying to use a two-triggered gun.

Hope it helps.

SRH

You could always deduct a middle finger like the actor James Doohan did on your shooting hand. He lost his to friendly fire on D-Day. A nervous Canadian sentry with a Bren gun shot him multipe times, four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was stopped by a silver cigarette case given to him by his brother.[6] His right middle finger had to be amputated, something he would conceal on-screen during most of his career as an actor. If that seems extreme then the finger bumper is a good option.
I've been doing exactly what Buzz has suggested ever since I got my first double trigger gun. I always set up for the back trigger with my grip, then simply reach for the front trigger. Works like a charm. I hate the looks of the trigger guard bumpers.
Karl
It seems to me that if someone who uses a bumper, behind their t.guard, would grip the wrist at the same point that they would have to with the bumper in place, they could just remove the bumper and the guard wouldn't hit their finger anyway.

One further query......... is it a straight gripped gun?

SRH
Yes, just use the very tip of your index finger to pull the front trigger so he rest of your hand and middle finger should be no where near the back of that trigger guard.
For some reason I rarely get the knuckle thump with a straight grip gun; it's usually with a tight pistol grip. Trigger hand adjustment is the way to go...Geo
The first trigger may be farther forward than on the guns that don't bite you. I have a couple of guns that have front triggers that are uncomfortably placed.
Thanks for all the suggestions, It is a straight grip gun, and I do pull the trigger with the tip of my finger.
I can place my hand back further on the grip if I shoot the rear trigger first and that stops the trigger guard from hitting my second finger, but I than have to stretch to reach the front trigger and then my second finger gets hit.
When I reach the front trigger with the tip of my finger that puts the rear of the trigger guard tight up against my second finger and I don't have small hands, my fingers might be slightly thicker than average though.
Pete
I've noticed a great variation of front trigger placement and trigger shape on several straight gripped double trigger guns. That may just be the determining factor as eightbore has suggested.
Karl
I just measured the distance between triggers on the gun that is giving me trouble and a 12 gauge Parker Trojan that I shoot and there is a considerable difference. The Parker has about 7/8" between trigger tips and the Husqvarna is about 1 1/8" between trigger tips.
When I shot skeet with the gun yesterday, after the first two stations my middle finger had a cut on it, I put a bandage on the cut and when I shot the bandage seemed to lessen the impact to that finger. I put a double bandage on and it seemed to stop it completely. I think I'll get some of the recommended toe pads and see if that works.
Thanks for the responses, Pete
The front triggers on my Parker Repros are uncomfortably far forward. If these guns are ever disassembled, I will have the front triggers bent backward.
I think that eightbore is on it. I had a double trigger straight grip that had that issue for me. NECG redid the forward trigger so that I could reach it without pressing others against the back of the trigger guard. As I remember, he said, "Usually we just do this by bending, but this is too nicely shaped for that." He also thought that it was made to use wearing a glove, hence the larger space.
From old information, I can confirm that you fellows have intuitively focused on the problem. But I can't give you specifics on dimensions. I've been looking for those for a number of years.

I remember reading a discourse by a shooter who was going through one of the high-dollar schools in England, either Holland or Purdey, and when he complained of the same problem, the master gunfitter told him immediately that the problem was improper gun fit. He alluded, however to the fact that it was more than simply angle of the hand of the stock.

The English actually have a number for what is supposed to be the acceptable minimal distance between triggers. I had it one time and didn't write it down and I've been looking for it ever since.

Going to a pistol grip is supposed to largely cure the problem. But that is certainly not true one hundred percent of the time. Some guns like the old Remington 1894 have a poorly designed trigger guard without enough tuck up and under. They are known as knuckle busters. I had one with a half-hand and there was nothing that could be done to keep it from hitting my finger.

I personally feel that having too little room on top of the hand of the stock is a major part of the problem. If you actually have enough room between the safety and the onset of the comb to get the web of your hand over the top of the stock it will largely eliminate the bite. Most stocks are not made that way but it is a very comfortable feel.
As Lorne has stated, a glove could solve the issue. I've been wearing Gripswell branded gloves for shooting for quite sometime, and they work well for me. They feature extra leather in the area of that knuckle as well as added leather under the right thumb for topleaver wear.
https://www.gripswell.com/gs12.php
Karl
The best solution is to shoot a gun that fits. If the gun is a 10 gauge or less (eg, an 8 bore), I’d recommend trying welders gloves to protect the 3rd finger if an individual didn’t want to go to the trouble of making the gun fit.......
I agree on the gun fit, I shoot a 20, a 12 and a 10 all with double triggers and the only time I ever hit my finger was shooting a 12 and didn't have it tight against my shoulder, I had one of my 10s double on me, made my arm go numb, but never hit my finger.

TM

The problem is probably the size of your hands/fingers and the position of the stock's thumb hole.

If the thumb hole is too far forward for you, your hand/fingers will sit too close to the triggerguard.

So when you fire the gun, it goes bang both ways.

If the thumb hole were further back, you hand would sit further back on the stock.

This would keep the triggerguard from banging you second finger and eliminate the problem.

OWD
This has only happened to me on one gun and the damage was permanent and still aches at times.

It was when shooting heavy 400 grain DG hand loads in my Winchester 1895 .405 WCF. Upon examination, it was apparent that the space forward of the trigger was tight AND the recoil of 400 grain loads was significantly more than the factory 300 grain loads. Knowing this, I was able to avoid further problems by remembering to adjust my grip for DG loads.
Also, I always wore shooting gloves with that rifle and do so with shotguns too.
Look up the "Quest for Perfection" by Michael Yardley. You can find some excerpts online that show The Churchill natural grip. I think it does more for decreasing the likelihood of finger bruising than any other straight English grip.

The Woodward half-hand and most POW are the same thing for a pistol grip. The side-by-side comparisons will show you the subtle differences of angle.

However with enough powder there's not anything you are really going to be able to do. Lengthening a stock is one of the primary ways to combat the problem. But that may or may not work depending on how you actually hold a gun.

As a side note, the Churchill natural shoots great but carries badly. The Woodward carries beautifully.
I know that this has been mentioned in a previous post, but I'll relate my experience.

I was shooting an SXS double with pistol grip in CAS competition, and my middle finger was getting very bruised and sore. I tried the moleskin, bandaids, and other cushions to no avail.

I then put on a lace up buttstock pad, which increased the LOP, and the problem was solved for me. I could shoot the match all day without pain.

HHH
Originally Posted By: H.H. Hipshot
I know that this has been mentioned in a previous post, but I'll relate my experience.

I was shooting an SXS double with pistol grip in CAS competition, and my middle finger was getting very bruised and sore. I tried the moleskin, bandaids, and other cushions to no avail.

I then put on a lace up buttstock pad, which increased the LOP, and the problem was solved for me. I could shoot the match all day without pain.

HHH

Exactly............ it's the hand placement that matters. Again, I have small hands for a man, I shoot some very heavy loads in double trigger S x Ss, and never have had my finger hit by the guard.

SRH
Can you post a photo of your hand on the stock/trigger guard with the gun mounted?
By thumbhole do you mean the position of the nose of the comb? If so I locate this by 1) the drop at comb and 2) the distance from the front trigger on a double trigger gun or the distance from the middle of a single trigger to the nose of the comb. Measure a gun that works for you and compare it to the one that smacks your finger.
Jeff
The thumbhole is the concave area close to the nose comb where the thenar eminence of the 1st finger (i.e., the muscular base of the thumb at the 1st metacarpal) resides with proper gun handling. The thumbhole really dictates hand placement and ensures hand placement is repeatable and consistent. The nose comb to breech face measurement somewhat reflects the thumbhole measurement but I believe the geometry of the actual thumbhole has importance too.
Wow - sounds like someone's an MD!

"The thumbhole really dictates hand placement and ensures hand placement is repeatable and consistent."

Exactly. So if your hand is too far forward, the triggerguard can give it a whack.

And I don't see how changing the LOP impacts this.

Unless it's a really big change, how does it affect the position of your hand?

OWD
OWD, when the LOP is too short the hand naturally grips the gun farther forward than it should for proper placement, i.e., to prevent bruising the second finger. Pistol grips help prevent that, but do not do so entirely.

You may catch me shooting a shotgun with a LOP that is slightly too long, but you will never catch me shooting one that is too short. Experience has taught me better.

SRH
I can't figure out how to post pictures but I can email them if someone will post them for me.

I did find that if I use a light load and I wrap three Band-Aids around my finger I can shoot with no pain or damage to my finger.
Thanks very much for all the responses.
Pete
Would somebody who knows how please post pictures for me.
I can email them to anybody but I can't post them myself, Thank you, Pete
Not sure bruised middle finger is always a result of a too short LOP. Today I shot my 'trouble" gun--the one that kills. my finger. I lengthened the lop. I could bearly reach the front trigger. It has a straight hand stock. No improvement. My buddy shot it with no issues. My short trigger finger and large trigger bow must be the problem. Too bad 'cause I shoot the gun pretty well--that is until I think about the pain and forget the target.
Another solution is to have your offended finger surgically removed.

Extreme - but probably effective.

And what do you use it for, anyway?

OWD
Shooting "birds"?

SRH
That is the James Doohan surgical procedure which is not for everyone. On the bright side you could become an instant Trekkie. Live long and prosper. Or aim high and shoot well.
I've always considered a " thumb hole " stock to be just that - a stock with a thumb hole bored in it. My friend has one on a model 12 trap gun [ and I think it looks like sh!!}. Now some of you guys are gonna start calling the curved area by the comb a " thumb hole " ? Learn something new everyday. Maybe someone could enlighten me of who and where it was first used. Not trying to give anyone a hard time, just curious.
That's a new one on me too, Paul.

But then, I'm not nearly as old as buzz. laugh

SRH
I am probably older than anybody but I agree with Paul. And I use that finger for lots of other important things beside pulling a trigger! That old Ithaca grade 3E with vent rib is the only gun I own that gives me hurt AND I have an offer very close to my beyond reasonable asking price. I could consider a graft if some one here wants to donate a section of their trigger finger.
Haha, you guys are something else. English gunsmiths call it the thumbhole. David Trevallion, I believe introduced me to the terminology. Call it whatever you like, however. Bottom line, it’s an important but frequently overlooked aspect of good gun fitting.
Terminology, nomenclature, whatever....
Buzz is SPOT ON with his perfectly descriptive Trade term....
It is vital in perfecting stock fit , especially for you guys that want to go afield with English grips on your guns.

I heard it used 30+ years by the then owner of Atkin Grant & Lang , the renowned author, Mr. Adams. The conversation I was privileged to overhear was between he and a very Knowledgeable Double gun aficionado from South Alabama......

I think it was the American Walnut purveyor, Rhinehardt Fajen who first appropriated the term to describe his unsightly Trap Stocks, promoted in the 60's .

A move wisely calculated to apply the rifle shooting "gimmick" to the Trap field......Hell everyone knows, Trapshooters will try anything.....
Originally Posted By: mel1541
I heard it used 30+ years by the then owner of Atkin Grant & Lang , the renowned author, Mr. Adams. The conversation I was privileged to overhear was between he and a very Knowledgeable Double gun aficionado from South Alabama......

I'll bet I know who that was. He was a devout, and successful, pigeon shooter too. Right?

SRH
Indeed sir, your assumption is correct.....

He was quick to analyse the components of a gun that enhanced shootability....To him , they either had it or they didn't have it.....he quickly disposed of those that lacked his requirements...
OK, O wise ones. I've heard all of you. Now, of these two shotguns of mine one bites the middle finger and the other doesn't. Which one and why? (Correct answers will get a special prize). Correct answer is probably the reason OP is having a problem.

I'll bite........ the top gun beats up your second finger, the bottom one does not.

SRH
Bottom gun bites more in my opinion. Triggers further apart and pistol grip more abrupt, in my opinion. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it. Thumbhole may be similar but this geometry is complex. One comb is higher than the other.
I'm with SRH.

Nice guns too. Send the biter to me for additional training.
The "thumb holes" are not similar, IMO. The top gun has much less room in front of the nose of the comb for the hand, thus pushing the second finger further forward, into the rear of the guard.

SRH
Looking again, I think you are right onTHAT, Stan. The nose comb to breech face measurement is not the same. But you are wrong elsewhere. ;-). Thumbhole measurement is complicated, but it needs to be right.....surely you agree??? And, on these 2 guns, one is a sidelock , the other a boxlock which even complicates it all the more.
As I said originally, none of them bite me that way. So, I'm just guessing.

Survey says ...............?

SRH
My guess is that the bottom is the culprit due to the longer trigger bow as well as the radius of the grip being more abrupt.
Karl

Karl +1
Could it be that the safety in relation to the back of the tigger bow is further forward on the bottom gun?
So that you instinctively slide your hand further forward to activate the safety, which then places your middle finger much closer behind the trigger bow ?
Originally Posted By: Stan
As I said originally, none of them bite me that way. So, I'm just guessing.

Survey says ...............?

SRH
You must be a very rare breed, Stan. Most people I know who have shot extensively, have been bitten by a trigger guard at one time or another, including myself. Odd that you haven’t. Have you shot a lot of different types of guns? Just wondering.....
I've got 28 using shotguns right now, that I can tick off by memory without looking at them, and have owned many more in my lifetime. Of those, 14 are double trigger S x Ss. Several are big duck guns that I use heavy loads in .......... up through 1 3/8 ounce. None of them recoil into my finger, on the first shot or the second ( I often pull the rear trigger first shooting doves or ducks).

I've shot a lots of double trigger doubles belonging to others, too. People often bring me their S x S, at the club, to shoot, because they know I enjoy them and want me to shoot theirs. The only gun I ever owned that hurt me in any way due to recoil is a 16 ga. high stocked Belgian boxlock that I have a tendency to crowd too hard with my cheek, and it recoils into it badly. I just keep it around to practice new gunsmithing skills on.

As I said earlier, and have many other times, I don't know why they never kick into my second finger, but they don't, even with my smallish hands. What I do know is that the sales of the little rubber bumpers have baffled me all my life, and I still believe if someone would grip the gun in such a way as to put the same amount of distance between their second finger and the guard as the bumper would occupy, it would not hurt them.

I may be rare, buzz, but there's nothing special about me. Oddity might be a better term. crazy

SRH
I think hand strength has a lot to do with it. Stan's a farmer so he turns bolts a lot.

I'm (wuz, anyway) a lawyer so my hands aren't as strong. Some of my guns bight my middle finger, but I can consciously change my grip so they won't. Much cheaper to adjust yourself than to change a tool...Geo
AND THE WINNER IS: Those who picked the Sauer on the bottom. It bites the middle finger. The longer trigger bow and its sloping shape as it transitions to the tang really pop the finger. Since I have small to medium sized hands the thumbhole (comb) is not restrictive. The spacing between the triggers is unusually far apart, placing my middle finger against the bow in order to reach the front trigger.

PS: The term "thumbhole" in America generally has a different meaning than in England. I think using the term "comb" here would be less confusing, i.e. "The comb is set too far forward",etc.
And the answer is............
I'm with Stan. I bought my first SxS approx 64 years ago, have not been without 1 or more since. All except 1 were double triggered. I cannot recall having "Ever" had my middle finger Bit by a trigger guard. I have shot some rather mild as well as some "Quite Stiff" recoiling guns during these years with straight, semi & full pistol grips. Most have had splinter forearms, only a couple of Semi-Beavertails which I no longer have. Yes, that somewhat describes my preferences.
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
AND THE WINNER IS: Those who picked the Sauer on the bottom. It bites the middle finger.

Well, I like that one better anyway. Send it here for punishment. I'll gladly take it off your hands (or finger as the case may be. smile
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I'm with Stan. I bought my first SxS approx 64 years ago, have not been without 1 or more since. All except 1 were double triggered. I cannot recall having "Ever" had my middle finger Bit by a trigger guard. I have shot some rather mild as well as some "Quite Stiff" recoiling guns during these years with straight, semi & full pistol grips. Most have had splinter forearms, only a couple of Semi-Beavertails which I no longer have. Yes, that somewhat describes my preferences.
Aha, and now we have two rare breeds on this forum!
Make that three of us. I had a super magnum paradox gun that the recoil on was ferocious, 750 gr bullet at 1450 fps. Never hit my finger with it or the other 20 or so SxS shotguns I have owned over the years. It may be hand strength. I have very large hands and use them in my work regularly.
Same here, plenty of "knuckle busting" in my life, but never from a shotgun trigger guard.

I think it's a LOP problem, The trigger hand can be very loose if you are solidly behind the stock butt. What barely goes back, barely nips the knuckle I would think.

A floppy mount? Well?
I have large hands and very strong hands.
The length of pull is longer than I usually use (it's 14 3/4 inches and my usual length of pull is 14 inches) but I can usually shoot a longer straight grip.

Pete
I on the other hand have quite small hands. I have worked with my hands all my life so they are "Reasonably strong but not extra ordinarily so.
I think this may be one of those imponderables. I am quite sure that a good shooting coach could solve it for you, in person. But, conjecture over the 'net prolly won't.

Glad I'm in the minority.

SRH
I also fall under the very large hands group. As a young man I considered going into OB but decided out of kindness to all future female patients my oversized mitts would not be tolerated well. Hand strength is very much something I have always enjoyed. Until my body started wearing out extra strength came in handy, now it just makes the PT easier.

Never had a problem with a trigger guard hitting my middle finger. That might be because I have large, strong hands, long fingers or just dumb luck. Happy either way. On guns people complain about hitting their fingers I look at the shape of the trigger guard. More than a few people complain about guns with very flat rear trigger guards. Very much like a brick wall. Always figured the trigger guard was too close to the middle finger and to upright for the finger to have much room.
......And hand grip on a shotgun opens a whole ‘nuther can of worms’. You guys with really strong hands, I would think if you grip a shotgun wrist as though it were a pipe wrench, fluidity and ease of movement to your target would likely be impaired. I don’t think a death grip on a shotgun lends itself to good shooting.
Buzz, one mans 20% is another mans 50%. A very strong man might have a stronger grip with a much lower effort.
Like KyJon said.

I am not aware of gripping the gun tightly. Quite the opposite actually. I like heavier guns than most of you, from what I have gathered on here, and tend to let it recoil like it wants to.

SRH
Apologies for double post
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Buzz, one mans 20% is another mans 50%. A very strong man might have a stronger grip with a much lower effort.

So true. I used to attend worship with a fellow Christian, now deceased, who made his living as a carpenter, he also had large hands. Wen he shook hands with you he would put you on you on your knees & not even realize he was squeezing, such was the strength of his hands.
Originally Posted By: sxsman1
The length of pull is longer than I usually use (it's 14 3/4 inches and my usual length of pull is 14 inches) but I can usually shoot a longer straight grip.

Pete
Pete; We never had the chance to see photos showing us your gun and then a photo of your hand on the grip, unfortunately. I’m not good at posting photos here or I would have done it for you. It may be, from what you describe that the front trigger may need to be bent back a bit but it could be the thumbhole too. Impossible to tell without photos. I agree, a lengthened stock isn’t going to cut the mustard. Bottom line, the gun does not fit you. Anyway, good luck.
2-piper. I have had several "friends" who like to play the gorilla hand shake game for reasons which elude me. Not by accident for certain like your friend. I quickly learned how to reverse it and made a point on not stopping my grip until tears formed in their eyes, they started breathing with labor or they asked for mercy. It took a while for the word to get around to not play that game with me and then for the dumb ones to try their luck with me anyways. Can't say I never lost one of those stupid games but almost every time someone has tried it they came up with a numb hand.

I suspect my father was right when he told me that a working man could do things without thought that a office worker types needed effort to do. His point was that men who used their hands to make a living had much more natural strength than almost all others. We use to call it country strong for those who grew up on the farm. I was one of those boys. By age eight or nine I was big as most twelve year old kids and I could easily move hundred pound bags of fertilizer, two cement blocks in each hand or bags of cement all day long. Glad I don't have to do it anymore that was a lot of work.
Hey KY Jon, I’m a bit confused....how do big hands effect being a dentist vs an Ob-Gyn physician? I could see an ophthalmologist with Paul Bunyan hands being a problem, but can Paul Bunyan stick his hands more easily into someone’s mouth as opposed to a female vagina? Hmmmmm...... confused
Originally Posted By: buzz

Pete
Pete; We never had the chance to see photos showing us your gun and then a photo of your hand on the grip, unfortunately. I’m not good at posting photos here or I would have done it for you. It may be, from what you describe that the front trigger may need to be bent back a bit but it could be the thumbhole too. Impossible to tell without photos. I agree, a lengthened stock isn’t going to cut the mustard. Bottom line, the gun does not fit you. Anyway, good luck.

Buzz, I can't post pictures here, But I can email them if someone will post them for me.
Pete

Buzz, I can't post pictures here, But I can email them if someone will post them for me.
Pete

If you wish you are welcome to email me a picture of you shouldering the gun as you normally would to shoot with a closeup of the action and grip with your hand location. I'll get it posted for you...Geo

Email's in my profile.
I sent the pictures last night George, I appreciate you posting them for me, thanks.
Pete
Here you go Pete. Maybe one of the shooting experts around here can diagnose the problem, but it looks to me like one of those Galazon rubber thingies would get your middle finger out of harms way...Geo

Question
After nine pages of discussion, have you tried
these easily found $5 items?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pedifix-Inc-V...13=&veh=sem
Mike
Trigger is too far forward. Your hand does not appear to be engaged in the thumbhole. Try moving your hand back further and engaging only the very tip of your index finger on the front trigger. As it is now, your middle finger abuts the trigger guard. It’s no wonder you are taking a beating. Front trigger may have to be bent to accommodate you. At least this is how it appears to me. As mentioned earlier in this thread, with double triggers one wants to set up for the rear trigger, not the front trigger.
Your triggerguard is almost identical to my Sauer pictured on page 6. It is oversized and pressing into the finger while just holding it. With any recoil the edge of the guard is going to get your attention.

I solve it by sliding my hand rearward so only the ball of my forefinger engages the front trigger. Great when mechanically shooting clays but crappy cure if shooting real targets spontaneously.

Buzz, I don't think the grip shown is how he shoots but was the best he could do with one hand while trying to take a selfie picture. (And in the good ole USA that's the "comb" not the thumbhole. wink
Skeettx, Yes I did I ordered one right away but I haven't got a chance to shoot with it yet.
If it isn't raining too hard tomorrow I'll give it a try. It looks like it will work.
Thanks, Pete
Buzz I never have to put my hands into anyone's mouth. A couple of fingers perhaps. Trust me when I say females clearly prefer doctors with small hands. There are more internal examination procedures done by an OB/GYN. I don't have to turn a babies head or do a internal exam by with multiple fingers or more. I use mirrors a lot to retract a cheek or tongue. I grip instruments which I move into the mouth which gives me four to five inches extra reach. Your dentist hand size does not mean you have to open extra wide so he can get his mitts into your mouth.

And hand strength is very important when it comes time to remove difficult teeth. Leverage, skill and force is still required to do that job. After tens of thousands of teeth I can get just about any tooth out with ease and as much patient comfort as possible. I've seen dentist who were rough as a rasp doing that job and they all tended to be small and weak or just stupid. It takes a gradual force, increased and decreased over time to allow the bone to stretch and relax so the tooth can be removed. The weaker ones just apply max force right away and if it breaks off, which they do too often that way, the patient is not going to enjoy the next half hour.
Hehe, I was just messing with you......however, you do realize you are talking to an ER physician who has done more than his fair share of work in the pelvic room. I’m retired from the ER now, and I can assure you, I don’t miss all those VD checks. BTW, I have long fingers for whatever that’s worth.
Buzz, I don't think the grip shown is how he shoots but was the best he could do with one hand while trying to take a selfie picture. (And in the good ole USA that's the "comb" not the thumbhole. wink

Joe I don't think the pics are selfies unless sxs man has an extra arm...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

Joe I don't think the pics are selfies unless sxs man has an extra arm...Geo

The pictures were taken by my wife. It may not look it but I am using just the tip of my trigger finger. I can't move my hand any further back while pulling the trigger. I can move it further back when shooting the rear trigger and then there is no pain.
Pete
Your hand needs to be further back. Fit is poor for you. Get a gun fitting by a pro, Chris Batha, Bryan Bilinski in Traverse City, or other good gun fitters and your problem will be solved. Not every gun fits everybody. These guys can get you very close to ideal dimensions and then you go from there.
And the toe guard will move you back just a tad bit and also provide the shock absorption needed, Perhaps, possibly, we shall see smile Good shooting!

Send us some moisture, been 120 days since we have seen ANY type of moisture.

Mike
Big hands with short fingers. I guess we're back to middle finger amputation or front trigger bending. You have a choice!...Geo
His hands are smack right up against the trigger guard. But he did say that a couple of Band-Aids fixed the problem so something as simple as a paper towel wrapped around his figure should also do the trick.
I also have short fingers. When I have the problem sxsman has I change my grip by raising my wrist to move my trigger finger forward and my middle finger back. Still, that front trigger looks way too far forward to me...Geo
Thanks very much for all the responses, and thank you George for posting the pictures for me.
The toe guard that Skeetx recommended will probably work fine but its really disappointing because I really like the gun except for the recoil hammering my finger.
Thanks again, Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com