doublegunshop.com - home
As we approach the 200th anniversary of Alexander Henry’s birth (4th of June 2018), as his great great grandson, I’d like to create an “inventory” of his rifles and shotguns, so that we can have an idea of how many are still in existence. I realise this can never be “complete”, and will be “out of date” as soon as it is created!

Donald Dallas’ book “Alexander Henry Rifle Maker” lists all serial numbers from no. 120 (starting when he took over Samuel Gourlay’s business in 1852) to no. 8545.

If you own one – and you’d like to help … please let me know
• the serial number
• some idea of where you live (country or city or post/ZIP code)
• anything especially interesting about the gun or its history

Please reply by Direct Message (DM) or to
Alex henry rifles (one word) at gmail dot com

You don’t need to give me your name, or your address – no need for it, really. I will store your forum moniker, and which forum.

I will not share personal information with anyone – this is purely for my interest and research.

I will be putting this message up on other forums. I will also trawl through auction sites to see what they have sold in the past.

In time, I’ll map the data on a world map (anonymity still totally preserved) using something like BatchGeo.

If you know other Alexander Henry owners, who probably don’t access this forum, please let them know too!

If you know of museums with Alexander Henrys, let me know!

I hope this will be very successful – it will be very interesting!

Thanks, in anticipation!

Richard Brown
Alexander Henry’s great great grandson
Collaborator on “Alexander Henry Rifle Maker” by Donald Dallas

I've got details on 75 so far ... that's great ... but a long way to go ! I'm sure there must be a couple of thousand out there ...

Thanks for replies so far.
I'm up to over 100 so far .. thanks to all for the replies I have received ..
I got see about 20 on Thursday night in Tennessee. Amazing.
Alexander Henry's 200th birthday is 4th June - 3 and a bit weeks away ...

I'm still getting info on existing rifles and shotguns made in Edinburgh, but it's slowed a bit now.

Any more welcome though !
Just got notice from someone whose family has had two Henry rifles since new.

That's the inventory up to 150 rifles etc now.

Any more ?
Richard, Though I don't own them now, I had an articl in DGJ, Spring 2003 about two unusual Henrys. The serial numbers are mentioned.
Aaargh - I don't have access to that … could you send me a photocopy (or even just the serial numbers ..) ?
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Richard, Though I don't own them now, I had an articl in DGJ, Spring 2003 about two unusual Henrys. The serial numbers are mentioned.

Any luck ?
I'll ask for it to be mentioned in the local vintagers newsletter if you like. There's a few kicking around that I know of. Big Game Rifle Club is one you ought to get in touch with as well; there'd undoubtedly be a few held by members.
Well that would be great - thanks !!
165+ now - surely many more ?
Richard that's a cool video..I'm sure the book will be impressive.

One thing that I don't think is a good idea is locking up Alex Henry's history in a limited edition book...special limited editions are fine but the book should be available to anyone that should want to read it.
Is it a service to him to lock his story up in 750 copies ?

There were a couple Henry rifles at my gun club. If I don't forget I'll ask around

Ps...We have a guy on here that is EM Reilly rencarnated.
cadet .. get anywhere with that ?

Did you get the Double Gun article? Or at least the info?
Yes I did thanks … though only a photocopy …
Originally Posted By: [censored]
Richard that's a cool video..I'm sure the book will be impressive.

One thing that I don't think is a good idea is locking up Alex Henry's history in a limited edition book...special limited editions are fine but the book should be available to anyone that should want to read it.
Is it a service to him to lock his story up in 750 copies ?

There were a couple Henry rifles at my gun club. If I don't forget I'll ask around

Ps...We have a guy on here that is EM Reilly rencarnated.

The book was very expensive to produce - and therefore £60 to purchase direct from the author. Being a private publication (as normal with a niche subject), one has to pay for - and store … all the copies from day one !
I'd love for it to be on every bookshelf and in every book store but there just aren't enough purchasers out there. It has sold well in UK, US, Australia, Canada etc plus a surprising (maybe) number of European countries.
Any more for any more ?

(Just heard from someone, who'd bought one on the list - great !)
I was looking at a .450 BPE for sale earlier this week. Quite a nice rifle for sure. I'm not going to buy it however.
Have you seen the current Thread about the A. Henry .450 BPE double rifle in the Double Rifle forum?

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=552516#Post552516

One of the guys who responded to this thread appears to have owned one or more Henry single shots. Good luck with your compilation and research.
FYI, "Rudyard," a NZ muzzle loading gun expert formerly from Sheffield many years ago helped me with Reilly 5512. He sent SN's of three Reilly's he'd owned and included this note. If you want to discuss it with him further, you could go to https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com or I could ask him for you. From the looks of it, per Boothroyd, a "ledger" exists somewhere of Henry SN's.

The Purdeys snap Thumb hole double 12 Central fire being much worn by the Keeper? is very hard to read the rib . I agree its more common to have the Pistol grip on a rifle but the barrel is normal 12 bore gun . .While UK tastes useually run to the Strieght hand stock many half pistol seem to be preffered in the Colonies . Not to say it might have had a rifled barrel option when sent out .( I do this with my own made guns ) . If you had the records ?.The Gold Escution with its H P maybe R insignia might record the buyer .. I had a Alex Henry Falling Block number 1922 450 3 & a quarter BP Express Geoffery Boothroyde got me a copy from the Ledger . it was sold to Victor Alexander Grosvenor . I later sold it to his Grace Westminster , Though he died recently. He I never met, All dealings via the Keeper . acting as his factotum . Perhaps Rielly have surviveing Ledgers ? . Ever pleased to oblige What Auction did the Rielies sell in what date ? I will write up an appeal for Rielly gun details for the 'Gazette' the Antigue Arms Asscn journal No saying what might pop up any true collector will want to know more & hopefully support your singularly usefull reasearches . I could run it by you ere I send it on. Regards Maurice
Um … is this post in the correct thread ?
"If you know other Alexander Henry owners, who probably don’t access this forum, please let them know too!
If you know of museums with Alexander Henrys, let me know!"

Yes Richard....it was posted to relay the info on "Rudyard"'s Alexander Henry....

-- SN 1922; 450 x 3 1/4. BPE. Originally ordered by Victor Alexander Grosvenor (1853-1884) (Earl Grosvenor, whose family goes back to Charlemagne).

it was later sold to The Duke of Westminster (grandson of Grosvenor). The point was made that somewhere there are records for Alexander Henry guns.
The makers still have the bound Alex. Henry ledgers. A complete listing of serial#s is posted in the Donlad Dallas book. I believe Richard is seeking any examples which still exist. I have several I need to gather the numbers on and forward to him.
Steve
Ah ok ... thanks
Correct on all three counts !
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com