doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bobski lc smith collecting - 01/10/18 11:40 PM
one thing I noticed when collecting. the farther up you go into the rare and unique models, the less there are....forcing collectors to rub elbows, fight for the best ones, pay more for the best ones, pass them between each other in the glass ceiling of collecting, and rarely allow them to fall into the common mans hands. the guns that do get past the security guards in place among collectors, might sell a few times un-noticed...then all of a sudden a collector sees it and buys it back into the fold. so for the most part...the real nice ones are unobtainable.
seems the lc smiths I like ....only 5 were made!
so, im thinking of aiming for a model or era more available.
advice....are the marlin lc's a good place to start?
I know a lot of the marlin lc's have simmons ribs, and that doesn't bother me, but if I can get a nice mc stocked vr marlin lc trap gun, I might bite.
inputs?
Posted By: skeettx Re: lc smith collecting - 01/10/18 11:46 PM
About a year or so ago, a phone call from a friend of a friend
told me about this one.

I think the original Smith draw much more collector interest than do the Marlin copies

Mike
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: lc smith collecting - 01/10/18 11:51 PM
I certainly wouldn’t limit my options or what I look for. I would change where I look. No offense to these guys, but I don’t even browse at Julia’s or vintage. Can’t afford it. I don’t go to the car dealership either but I’ve found some nice rides.
** EDIT: really no offense to the big guys. If I’d a hit that poweball they’d all get tired of seeing me
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 12:01 AM
I looked over late 60s Marlin version of L.C.Smith. Seller wanted $850 for one in excellent condition. Not a bad gun if you don't mind aluminum alloy V rib. I read Marlin did something to lock plates to alleviate wood cracking of head butt stock. Personally I would prefer English gun with Vickers Imperial lock plates by Willie Baker of Birmingham. I think guns were made by G.E. Lewis. The English made better sxs shotguns than the Americans and prices for 12ga Birmingham guns are very favorable now.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 12:15 AM
I love the LC Smith. They were there fighting the good fight alongside the Parkers against the best Europe and England had to offer. Giving as good as they got.

Stay with the Hunter Arms.
Posted By: Roundsworth Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 12:22 AM
I had a NIB 1960s L.C. Smith with the Simmons alloy rib. The rib was fastened with some sort of adhesive that was in the process of 'letting go'.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I love the LC Smith. They were there fighting the good fight alongside the Parkers against the best Europe and England had to offer. Giving as good as they got.

Stay with the Hunter Arms.

Come now you can swallow your national pride with our New Leader we can now tell the truth. I wanted to make simple, therefore, I have not mentioned the French because they do not speak English as primary language there. Do you honestly think Sterlingworth, Trojan, LC Smith,.... make better game gun than say BSA, G.E. Lewis, "Demon Works",.... confused
You know what's even better is legendary Winchester Model 12 Featherweight 26" IC barrel. Shockingly when in rack it gets passed because it has Model 25 action, aluminum trigger guard unit and take down is like Mossberg or 870. Loco world isn't it?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 01:26 AM
PS. Strictly speaking game guns Ole' Englishmen told me the best in Birmingham were made by William Powell and Son Ltd. Both Powell and Smith spoke fluent English why not get the better game gun?
Posted By: 12brd Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 02:22 AM
I've got a field grade in the box w all the tags and paperwork. Been shot but pretty mint. Doesnt really fit my collection, sooooo might sell
it.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 03:06 AM
Not game guns but trap and live pigeon guns that competed back in the nineteenth century. Some Lefevers were there but it was mostly the Parkers and LC Smiths doing the heavy lifting.

Live bird and inanimate target competitions were major sporting events at the end of the 19th Century, and the “Top Guns” were the celebrity athletes. They shot for large sums of money before crowds of spectators, and the best could afford the best, which until about 1895 was considered to be a British gun. January 3, 1878 Capt. A.H. Bogardus broke 5000 glass balls at 18 yard’s rise in 10 hours 40 minutes 35 seconds, missing 163, using a W&C Scott with 3 1/2 dram 1 1/4 oz. 8s.

Jan., 1879 The Chicago Field Jamaica Plank Rd., L.I., New York
W&C Scott was the choice for most shooters with a pair of Remingtons and a Moore and a Williams & Powell. I regret to say the New Yorkers took the contest 100-93 though the birds were a good lot, and many being white, were difficult to hit while close to the snow.

First DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament October 1895

Fred Gilbert (L.C. Smith) and Charles “Hayward” Macalester (Purdey) tied at 25; Gilbert won the shoot-off 5/5 to 4/5. Charles Wagner (Parker), E.B. Coe (Smith), Capt. John L. Brewer (Greener), and A.H. King (Scott Monte Carlo) tied at 24; Wagner won the shoot-off taking 3rd place. Harvey McMurchy was undoubtedly pleased when he learned that Gilbert won the Du Pont trophy, using a Smith gun. It is also gratifying to us to know that the big prize was won by a gentleman sportsman using an American made gun, which was loaded with American made smokeless powder, shot and wadding, in American made shells.

By the middle of 1895, U.S. maker's guns were being used more than British guns, and at the head of the parade was Hunter Arms Co.'s L.C. Smith. Three Iowans, Fred Gilbert, Charles Budd, and Charles Grimm; Rolla Heikes and Charles Young of Ohio, “Jack” Fanning of San Francisco, and Harvey McMurchy had been or were currently using Smith guns to win major tournament and Cup challenges.

I could go on but enough said. smile
Posted By: Replacement Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 03:33 AM
There are Marlin Elsies from the 40's and Marlin Elsies from the 70's. I have a 1947 Marlin Elsie 12ga field grade and there is nothing wrong with it, other than being kind of plain. I think that is a much better choice than one of the 70's guns, and should hold more of its value. Found mine on the rack at one of the local black gun stores. Same chain, different store, found an Ideal Grade 16 Featherweight with 30" barrels in very nice condition at a very nice price. Bought my Crown Grade 12 after my cousin yelled across a dove field, "Hey, do you like LC Smiths?" Wasn't actively looking for any of them, but they are where you find them. Just keep poking around in nooks and crannies. I think the Ideal is one of the nicest models, and not terribly pricey in 12 ga.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Bought my Crown Grade 12 after my cousin yelled across a dove field, "Hey, do you like LC Smiths?"

I'll bet the rest of that story is worth listening to. smile

SRH
Posted By: David Williamson Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 02:02 PM
When Marlin bought L.C. Smith in 1945 the company's name was changed to L.C. Smith Gun Co. The prefix was FW S (no more regular frame guns made). These guns were true L.C. Smiths. In the 60's early 70's Marlin Gun Co. re-introduced the L.C. Smith gun, the prefix then was FW M, there were some problems in the very beginning doing their case hardening because all the old timers were either retired or had passed on. The Field Grade had a Simmons rib made out of aluminum that was epoxied on and used a different bluing process not rust bluing. The other model a Deluxe used a Simmons but this was a steel rib. Both were ventilated.
The best in my opinion were the pre 1913 guns. Also to note that the A3 when it first came out in 1894 was the most expensive gun made here or abroad. There was only a total of 19 made, 17-12 gauges and 2-20 gauges.
My favorite is the A2 first variation with the stepped lock plates.
These early Smith's very all very well made and very few are seen with the crack behind the locks. Guns equipped with the Hunter One Trigger had even less wood between the locks and it is a wonder how they held up at all if you have ever seen the inside of one.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 02:21 PM
This A2 Variation 2 would be a nice find in 14g. 1902 Supplee Hdw. catalog

Oops. 1904

Posted By: Laxcoach Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 02:25 PM
David has covered this subject very well.
Posted By: keith Re: lc smith collecting - 01/11/18 11:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
PS. Strictly speaking game guns Ole' Englishmen told me the best in Birmingham were made by William Powell and Son Ltd. Both Powell and Smith spoke fluent English why not get the better game gun?

Do you own any of these doubles Jagermeister? Do you own an L.C. Smith? Do you own even a cheap worn out Crescent or Belgian clunker?

Do you own any doubles at all??? I didn't think so. Maybe you should stick to things you actually have some experience with, and post on some toy stuffed animal or kishka website.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: lc smith collecting - 01/12/18 02:11 PM
There you go Jager, 12brd has a field grade LC Smith ready and waiting to go. Perfect for you.
Posted By: HighWall Re: lc smith collecting - 01/12/18 05:54 PM
Bobski, you have a PM.
Posted By: KS16ga Re: lc smith collecting - 01/12/18 06:13 PM
Bobski, you saw how much I enjoyed my field grade model 16ga at the shoot in October. It is nothing fancy but a great shooter. I picked it up on Gunbroker in 2016 and see more elsies there often.
Posted By: bobski Re: lc smith collecting - 01/12/18 10:52 PM
ks16....you ever going to check your 2 month old pms? :>
you coming again to the apr shoot?
Posted By: bobski Re: lc smith collecting - 01/12/18 10:54 PM
back in my day, I was eying the skeeter grades. looked up and down for a 20ga. never found one that wasn't worn out or w/o cracked wood.
I went the parker route instead.
but hey....times have changed. im looking at trap guns again.
who knows.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: lc smith collecting - 01/13/18 03:36 AM
Bobski, You could no better for a trap gun than the Ithaca Knick single barrel trap OR an NID double trap gun. And at favorable prices. We do not have an Ithaca Gun cult smirk
Posted By: bobski Re: lc smith collecting - 01/13/18 01:35 PM
yeah...been there done that too. 5's and 7's were my favorite.
Posted By: bobski Re: lc smith collecting - 01/13/18 01:36 PM
fyi...remember when 'knick' was a beer on the east coast?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com