doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/05/18 10:01 PM
Do any of you have this gun pictured on the plate owned by Bob Noble ?

Posted By: Bob Noble Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/06/18 12:51 AM
Hello
I had Daryl post this for me as he has so much better grasp on a computer than I do. This is a Lefever Print block from the 1890s.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/06/18 01:46 AM
very nice find- love to see the gun it represents
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/06/18 02:59 AM
Looks like a cocking rod gun with side pivot top lever. Only one I have of them is an E grade, bottom of the line at that point, 10 gauge. certainly not the one in this pic, only has scroll engraving, no animal scenes of any kind. I would love to have one of those rod cockers in a light 16, but at this point in my life if I was to find one I wouldn't be able to afford it. Wouldn't mind at all if it was a thumb push opener, most of mine are the large single hook guns.
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/06/18 03:40 PM
2-piper
I know what your saying about Lefever prices. There out of my range too. There has been some big time crazy prices being paid lately.
I have a neat B grade 16 thumb push opener but its not for sale.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/06/18 04:21 PM
I wonder what a print would look like using that plate?
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 03:44 PM
I've seen it used on some invoices from the early 1890s.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 06:38 PM
How about this for a suggestion. Have a quality print made from the plate and run 100 numbered copies. Sell them for $XX here only and give the Lefever guys something new to hang in the gun room...Geo

I'd love to have one.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 07:11 PM
I'm a printer but offset, you'd need a guy with a letterpress to print that.
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 07:51 PM
I tried to print on this block my self and it turned into a mess. I always thought it would be neat to have it printed and scanned onto a word doc and used for letters. I just don't know who to go to to get it done.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 10:10 PM
just ask your small local printers if they do letterpress in house and are interested in a project
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 11:20 PM
i have one that is one side of the Parker hang tag-

with some practice i could get some good block prints inking with a roller
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/07/18 11:38 PM
If you took a decent picture of it, centered from above, a photo editor could give you the reverse image, which is what the plate would print on a letterpress.

That plate looks somewhat crushed, which is the bain of letterpress printing, with copper plates.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/08/18 06:58 PM
a guy I work with has some letter press machines in his garage, he says "I could so something with it on my proof press. Maybe print some info about the gun at the same time with hand set type?"
no idea what he'd charge but I can put you in touch if you want...
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Rare Lefever Printing Plate - 01/09/18 03:18 PM
I have nearly complete set of Colt roll dies, used on the various 1911's in the 70 series era. A hard rubber ink roller does nicely. Have to turn a dowel to the correct dia. for the barrel marking dies.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com