doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Triple Barrel - 12/31/17 12:34 AM
I came across this today. Didn't know it existed. Does anyone own one and can comment on its performance?

http://www.akkar.com.tr/mammut-320-triple-barrel-shotguns,2,519
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Triple Barrel - 12/31/17 01:27 AM
I'll post the images for you.

Posted By: moses Re: Triple Barrel - 12/31/17 01:58 AM
When these first hit the market here in Australia, I thought WoW, I need one of these.
Then I handled one. 2x4 lumber offcut, single trigger, same firing sequence 123,123, no ability to barrel select & each barrel choked the same.
My dreams were crushed, not my type of gun.

Also, there are a lot of second hand, like new, fired one box of ammo, for sale here. They do not stick to their first owners very well it seems.

One guy who shoots pest animals off crops (licensed to cull) uses one with buck shot from a four wheel motor bike & loves it.
Better off with an auto I hear you say, but an auto is a special license here & a bit of a problem to get & keep. The triple gets him around that a bit.

Fun gun, but I can have fun with an English double & not only 2/3 as much fun.
O.M
Posted By: DLA Re: Triple Barrel - 12/31/17 11:40 AM
I agree with Moses. I shot one last summer handles like a fence post.

Dennis
Posted By: skeettx Re: Triple Barrel - 12/31/17 05:28 PM
But if you are hunting Sandhill Crane or Geese, they are
a fine tool.
One of my skeet shooting buddies bought one of the camo and
3 1/2 inch guns and REALLY likes them in the cold field.
NO JAMS
He is very happy with it
Mike

P.S. with the screw-in chokes he does quite good at skeet
with the two bottom barrels

mostly now shoots 3" fast shot at game
Posted By: mark Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:43 AM
I shot one for waterfowl for a few years. I liked it and ducks hated it. I would still have it but a customer that was leaving on a trip the next day had to have it so i sold it. Before I could replace it I found a 3in long barreled Beretta that has filled the void.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 06:57 AM
I've nothing good to say about them!
They handle like a log and swing like a dumbbell. If your target is moving, you have less chance of a hit with either of your first two barrels than you would with any reasonable double gun. And after that you're better off reloading the double.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 01:04 PM
I have not handled one, but that was my first impression when i saw these out there. The weight, balance and handling mist be horrible. If you need that many shots, just carry an autoloader.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 01:30 PM
I'd love to shoot one on my plate to see if all three are regulated.

Mark, how was the trigger on yours?

Not wanting one, just curious.

SRH
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:08 PM
I don't think they would be too bad if formatted like a common drilling, with the third barrel nestled between and under the other two. This would be especially so if they didn't insist upon making them in 12 ga., and went to 16, or even 20 ga.
Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:15 PM
They are available in 12, 20, 28 and .410.
Posted By: mark Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:16 PM
Trigger was about 8lbs.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:19 PM
These are waterfowl alternative guns, instead of a semi-auto. Swing dynamics for that application would probably be ok. Not an upland gun in any way. If I still pursued ducks, I would n't mind trying one out.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 03:52 PM
I know the MOI would be far from what I'm used to. But, the 10+ lb. 32" L C Smith 10 ga. I used to hunt with some was, too. I could kill ducks with it with no big problems.

My thought about how it would handle are running along these lines ......... it's got 28" barrels, so more of the weight is nearer the balance point than it would be were the barrels longer.......... a long armed man, like myself, can place the forward hand a little farther forward and change the dynamics a lot. I think this is a "trick" often overlooked by shooters. Placement of that forward hand really changes how hard, or easy, it is to get a gun swinging or stop it.

SRH
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 04:07 PM
I haven't seen or handled one of these, but Italian version from Chiappa is a crowbar. Old ones made long ago in Central Europe had thin barrels and were actually good handling three-barrel shotguns.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 04:29 PM
A "crowbar" handles just fine if you know how to handle it.
JR
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
JR

Nope, one is better off buying modern Beretta autoloader. Better handling and with migratory bird plug removed more shots between reloads. My ca. 1972 Remington 1100 while not as nice as modern Beretta and is showing age in design is still far better choice than this three-barrel abomination.
Posted By: TMair Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
JR

Nope, one is better off buying modern Beretta autoloader. Better handling and with migratory bird plug removed more shots between reloads. My ca. 1972 Remington 1100 while not as nice as modern Beretta and is showing age in design is still far better choice than this three-barrel abomination.

That totally depends on who that "one" is, as someone who cut my shotgunning teeth on a SXS I can't stand carrying, or shooting autoloaders or pump shotguns, on the other hand I wouldn't mind trying one of these, just not for 2K $$!!

TM
Posted By: moses Re: Triple Barrel - 01/01/18 08:34 PM

Not an upland gun in any way.
JR

Now, you see, there is my problem.
My mum says that everyone is good for something & you just gotta use em as you find em.

Once upon a time in a gun cabinet, in a time not long ago & a land not all that far away lived a fine drilling & a cheap clunky $100 U&O.
One dark night there was an unholy union & from that a bastard child was born.
O.M
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Triple Barrel - 01/02/18 06:34 PM
I am in total agreement with TMair, deliver me from anything which doesn't hinge in the middle. I want no part of shucking a pump gun & I surely don't want no slam/jam-O-matic.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com