doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 2-piper Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 10:55 PM
Hi All;
I am on 5 differnt forums so am doing a form letter I can copy & paste to all. I went back to Vanderbilt University Medical Center Hospital, Clinic for my 4th Chemo treatment Mon Dec 11th. Had to be there at 8:00 AM but early morning traffic can be horrendous at that time of day coming in on the interstate so we had to leave rather early to be sure we got there on time. My oldest Daughter drives my Wife & I so my Wife doesn't have to drive me by herself. Started with blood work, then had to go to Radiology in the Hosp area for a PET Scan. This was followed by a Lumbar Infusion which injects medicine into a joint in my spinal column, does't go into the spinal cord so relatively safe & hardly no pain, just one stick with a needle which goes into a sac in the joint. This feeds medicene into the spinal cord & on up into my brain to kill any cancer cells which may try to enter them. Ate a bite of lunch & then went for my Drs appointment at 1:00 PM. She had the results from the PET Scan.

Have good news & bad news. Good news is it appears The Chemo is doing its job, no shiny spots appeared on the X-Rays from the scan as they did prior to my treatments which indicate cancer cells. Bad News is looks as if Y'all may have to put up with me for a Spell Yet (Yep I'm a "Southern" Middle Tennessee Redneck HillBilly). Even though when it comes to Alcohol I am a Teetotaler I live in the heart of Jack Daniel country. About 7 mile by road, likely about 5 as the Crow Flies, as they say. When there is a gentle breeze blowing from the South West (predominant direction for this location) I can step out in my yard & smell the Sour Mash a-brewing.

I was set up for 6 treatments & will continue with the following two to be safe. Next one is sceduled for Jan 3rd, 2018. Last one will be around Jan 22, though we have not had this date confirmed yet. Have been having them on Mondays 3 weeks apart but of course one was not scheduled for New Years day so was put off to Wed the 3rd. Will likely have another PET Scan around 3 weeks following my last treatment & hopefully that one will confirm I am again in remission. Amazingly one of the clinic personal who administered one of my treatments was the same lady who treated me 30 years ago when I went through this then. I told her I though that was a good omen as she pulled me through before, I was counting on her doing it again. She has only treated me the one time, but I did see her yesterday & gave her a big hug. She is set to retire in about a year she said.

Hope maybe I'll be able to shoot a bit this year, haven't done much for the last couple of years. I have lost about 70 lbs, most prior to the cancer, so maybe I'll be able to get out a bit more now once I regain my strength from the Chemo..
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:10 PM
I'm glad it's looking good. You will be in my prayers.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:18 PM
Thanks for the health update Miller. You have my prayers for a full recovery and an early return to your shooting. You have been a steady and guiding force on this BBS for as long as I have been involved, and you have been kind enough to have personally helped me with questions and information several times. Thank you...Geo
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:23 PM
My Mother is going through treatments too. I'm glad things are shaping up and we will include you and your family in our prayers as well.

Best regards
Posted By: builder Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:37 PM
Please stay away from sources of infection especially kids. Best wishes for a permanent recovery.
Milt
Posted By: craigd Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:39 PM
Thanks for the update. I think that can help things shape up for a great Christmas.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/13/17 11:52 PM
Great news Miller for the upcoming holiday season. Hope you enjoy it, as you are certainly in my prayers as well. I've enjoyed your posts and am glad you are here.
God bless and a speedy recovery!
Karl
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 12:15 AM
Great news. You and your family have been in our prayers and thoughts. Few understand that your support, your wife, daughter, family and friends all go through this with you. They worry and fret, just like you do but try to hide it from you just as you do it from them. Silly I know but everyone is determined to be strong for the others. As part of the far, very fa,r distant support group all I can do is to keep you and your family in our prayers and thoughts. God bless and make sure to enjoy your family this Christmas. They are your true blessing.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 12:42 AM
Miller,

You have been a source of accurate information and reason on this board for as long as I can remember. Now, you're a source of inspiration. I have been praying for you, will continue to, and can now include praise and thanks in them. You can have no idea how much it means to me for you to give this update, and great news.

Thank you for being a fighter, and for being a friend to so many here.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 12:50 AM
John;
That is so true about the support, I would never have made it without my Wife's support that first time.Actually I have been utterly amazed but even though I am now thirty years older the Chemo has not been as hard on me this time as it was the first, I suppose its medical advancement & the medicines are different, but seem to be working better actually. At the outset my Dr told my Wife, outside of my hearing, she figured I had a 40:60 chance of making it. She just told me today, happy that I seem to have hit the 40 slot.
Ironman;
Sure hope things go well for your Mother, will remember her in my prayers as I full well know what she is going through & I am a firm believer in the Power of Prayer & the help from God & his Son Jesus. As Solomon said in Ecclesiastes to fear God (not trembling in our boots per se, but holding him in deep awe & respect) & keep his commandments is the Whole of Man. that is our purpose on His Earth.

Thanks to all who have thought of me & prayed for me, may God Bless each & every one of you as he has me..
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 12:51 AM
Great news Miller, thanks for the update.

Now that you're getting better, any chance you can tell your neighbors to quit watering the booze?

We Yankees aren't as stupid as legend has it...

Posted By: David Williamson Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 12:52 AM
Miller, that is great to hear and I think Stan said it best. Prayers to you and have a Merry Christmas as you deserve it.
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 01:01 AM
Sounds hopeful and you seem to be doing your part. Fingers crossed and trusting in the mercy and infinite wisdom of The Boss.
Looking forward to your continued words of wisdom/guidance and that you'll be able to go over and stand beside Lem Motlow as often as you want.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 01:13 AM
Miller,
Be well, my friend. Have a blessed and joyous Holiday Season.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: canvasback Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 02:05 AM
Very good news Miller. Wonderful to hear.
Posted By: Linn Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 03:06 AM
I only know you from the Board but send prayers and best wishes to you.

Linn
Posted By: Linn Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 03:07 AM
I only know you from the Board but send prayers and best wishes to you.

Linn
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 04:37 AM
Great news, 2-p. Prayers partially answered. Will keep asking for a full recovery. Such things happen and if "deserve" has to do with it I think it looks good for you.You have set a lofty benchmark for behavior on this board.

Keep us posted.

DDA
Posted By: tw Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 04:44 AM
So nice to hear, Miller! I don't know that my prayers carry much weight, but you've been in them nonetheless. I would strongly second Milt's advice; it is sound.

Having you around and fit is def. something to look forward to and I shall, along w/many others here that value you, greatly.

We'd not have had the recent fun of discussing pellet behavior in patterns w/o your astute observational qualities. I'm sorely tempted to contemplate wot might have taken place w/a restorative, had you the inclination and now I find myself pondering second hand sour, in the proximate, of course.

There was a European spoof on the classic Western movie titled Lemonade Joe made some years ago; Netflix had it. They may still have, I dunno, but I'd expect you might get a laugh from it. I did.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 05:30 AM
Miller, the "bad news" sounds goo to me! And the "good news" is also gladly received. Keep positive and take it easy with the post treatment recovery. I suspect you'll find yourself hit harder than you hope, but I'm sure you'll get through it.
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 09:56 AM
That's great news, Miller! Still praying the Lord has more in store for you here. You are a treasure. Have a great holiday season.
Posted By: GLS Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 10:35 AM
Not being a contrarian, but this was a "good news, good news" report. Gil
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 11:54 AM
Miiler, so glad to hear of your good and "bad" news. You make this forum and the world a better place.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 01:44 PM
Not a stitch of bad news in that report. So glad the treatment is working. Best wishes for Christmas and the holidays. And thank you again for your posts. Gil
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 02:01 PM
Miller this is wonderful news and Prayers sent. Bobby
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 02:55 PM
May the Lord bless you and keep you. And may you truly be grateful to him for his grace and mercy.

And I fervently hope we'll be having to bear with your presence here for a very long time.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 04:29 PM
I wish it were more common to have such good reports in such a difficult situation. My best of best hopes for you and your family.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
AND A
MOST HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Posted By: keith Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/14/17 06:31 PM
That's wonderful news Miller. I've always really appreciated your very informative posts, and it was obvious that much of what you posted came from many years of practical experience as a machinist. That attention to detail always came through, and you've been one of the best sources of information on the Lefever shotguns we both like. Thanks for keeping us posted on your treatment and recovery. I'll be hoping and praying you'll get well and stay well for a long time.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/16/17 01:02 PM
Excellent news, Miller. This place is better for your presence.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/17/17 03:11 PM
Hang in there Mr. Miller
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Miller's Cancer Update, Long - 12/17/17 04:44 PM
It is always good to hear good news of people - and my best wishes for a full recovery. Have a very Happy Christmas.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com