doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/28/17 09:47 PM
OK may be a silly question. I have been seeing "orphaned" shotgun barrels showing up on the internet and curious about the reality in them being fitted to a gun.
Example, how probable would it be to fitting English made barrels to the same maker's gun of different serial number. How would barrels by American makers work to be fitted to another gun?
My friend said that the chances are very slim you could fit these barrels to my gun with a good proper fit, what say you?
Posted By: skeettx Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/28/17 10:23 PM
What gun, which barrels

I have had some snap right on,
some needing a bit of fitting
and some, no hope

Mike
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/28/17 10:38 PM
ANY had fitted gun is going to require hand fitting of barrels to it from another gun. The amount of work varies from gun to gun. Maker to maker depends on the given makers design and their manifacturing techniques.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/28/17 10:45 PM
Just because a set snaps right on does not mean they fit properly. There are several things that need to be carefully checked to determine whether they will function, and stay on face for an extended period of time. Amount of contact between the barrels and the breech face, amount of space between the barrel flats and the action flat, top lever position after closing, etc.

Fitting barrels is an extremely tedious job, not for the occasional hobbyist. It can be learned, but you should expect to pay "dues" to learn the procedure. If, and I mean if, you can find a gunsmith that has this mastered, don't bother with trying to learn yourself. Pay a master to do it. You will be way ahead. JMO, YMMV.

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/28/17 11:16 PM
Pay your dues in the gun collecting world and you will succeed in your attempt to fit orphan barrels. Otherwise, you will fail miserably and waste much of your money spent on "extra barrels".
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:05 AM
I have bought a lot of orphaned barrels over the years. Sometimes you get lucky and fitting them takes an hour or two. Sometimes it takes forever and sometimes you just can't get them to work. I had a set of Lefever barrels seven digits off in serial number that just would not go on at all. So it is a crap shoot and Stan is right if the gun is a decent gun just let someone else do it for you because you can screw them up such that they will never fit anything worth a darn.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:21 AM
I've got a set of 32" Fox barrels at a gunsmith having them fitted to a 30" Sterly Ejector gun, as we speak. They had been previously "fitted", and I use that term loosely, by a very well known doublegunsmith who screwed them up so badly that another well known Fox gunsmith really didn't want to mess with them. He said I'd be so upside down on them by the time he welded the hook and redid the job that he wouldn't advise it. This was a set of brand new Fox barrels that had never been fitted to a gun at the factory. Completed barrels, just never blued or fitted to an action. Was I sick when I saw how the first guy had botched the job? You could say that, yeah. Point?.................not everybody who hangs a GUNSMITH shingle out can fit barrels to a double, properly.

As eightbore mentioned, this is another way we "pay our dues", sadly.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:25 AM
and then there is the forend fit issue...ideally, orphan barrels will include the forend...
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 02:06 AM
This discussion is relevant to my interests . . .

The A grade Fox I bought at Tulsa included an extra set of barrels that the seller said fit the gun (they really don't). I don't know what I'm ever going to do with them. I'm regretting not trying to negotiate a better price WITHOUT the extra barrels. Oh well, maybe I'll run into a Fox with a set of blown barrels.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:16 PM
Sell them. Usually any decent barrel set is worth at least a couple hundred to someone.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:44 PM
I have fitted 7 or 8 NOS in the white unfitted Fox barrels and that is a tough job that I do not care to do again in my old age. Bobby
Posted By: SKB Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 01:53 PM
I have done two sets of NOS Fox barrels. It is a very big job and patience is a must. Much easier going very slow than going through welding the hook, etc to get things right. As to orphaned complete sets of barrels, as some have stated already, sometimes you get lucky other times no matter what you do you can not get them to work. I explain this to each customer when they approach me on these types of jobs. Most get it, a few don't. I pretty much try to pass on these jobs now days. Too many variables and some folks just do not understand that this is hourly work that I can not give a fixed quote on.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 02:22 PM
OK let me further explain my question. I suppose I could fit my size 12 foot into a size 11 shoe but it would look like crap.
A few years ago a guy was selling a set of Purdey 30" barrels on Ebay and he lived within a couple hours drive from me.
My friend said no way I would ever be able to get a proper fit since all these guns were hand made. Mine being built 1929 so with that I abandoned the idea.
Now is it possible to get a good and proper fit with orphaned barrels? Will it look like Purdey proper work?
Posted By: SKB Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 02:40 PM
possible yes, but not likely.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 07:08 PM
Lottery odds. No two British "fine" guns were made anything but one at a time. What if your barrels are struck .010 more on the right side and .010 less on the left so that one side against the breech face the right is too small and the right too large. Are you going to strike the breech down on the right and the barrels on the left? Nope.

Before I ever tried to fit a set of barrels I spent a lot of time measuring everything you could think of before I started. To me fitting a set of barrels, which were too large or too small for the gun would have been a waste of time and a set of barrels. But you never know. The lottery does pay off for someone.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 09:47 PM
Just passed on doing this with a Darne R model. Too much time and money with not much gain, on a lower grade gun.
I got good, sound advice from JJ. I respect that guy.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 09:49 PM
experience has proven the following guns are more likely to interchange barrels:

fox sterlingworth

parkers of same model, frame size and era

ithaca nitro special
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 10:26 PM
That statement is total BS. (Less so maybe on the Nitro Special.)

Proof positive that just because they may mount and close, you cant trust someones word that they fit properly, or “interchange” as they say.

Ed thinks that extra barrel sets add value to guns he tries to sell. Whether they fit properly or not.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/29/17 11:50 PM
dudley: you jump to negative conclusion, based upon your ignorance...

all two barrel sets that have passed thru my hands have been fit or refit by experienced qualified gunsmiths...

it has been my experience that an extra set of properly fit barrels do add value...

unlike you, my post here is to add positive contribution...

yours is just mean spirited nonsense.
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 12:37 AM
Hey Ed, would you say it is also mean-spirited nonsense to Troll crap like this on a gun enthusiast's forum:

Originally Posted By: ed good
if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Or does having a one man fan club make you a proud man?

By the way, having fitted a few sets of orphan barrels to guns with missing or damaged barrels, I can say that I totally agree with what Stan said in his first post. But I still think it is worth trying if you can buy a good set reasonably, and evaluate them honestly before screwing up and ruining them. As Brian Dudley says, you can always resell them if they just won't work on your particular gun. And when compared to the extreme cost and hassle of having a new set made from scratch, well, there is no comparison.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 01:48 AM
keith, we are in agreement re orphan barrels...care to give us details about what guns you have been able to fit with replacement barrels?

as for gun related social issues, suggest you start an off topic thread on the subject, so we can debate them without trashing this and other threads...
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 01:56 AM
Been there, did that Ed. But you weren't happy about it for some odd reason, even though it showcased your own words:

Anti-Gun Posts by Ed Good

By the way, your one man fan club seems to think that you are also Jagermeister... posting under more than one screen name, because you are a sad, lonely, old Troll.

Can you confirm that please?
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:06 AM
well keit, if you wish to discuss whos who here, suggest you start an off topic thread so we can discuss without trashing this and other threads...

and have you really fit replacement barrels to receivers and forends?...or is that just a bogus boast on your part?
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:16 AM
would be interesting to hear from others re their experiences in fitting non original barrels and forends...

one experience that comes to mind is the back half of a parker lifter, serial # 5xxx, that was successfully fit to the barrels and forend of a much later lifter...in the 12000 range, as i recall...
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:22 AM
well keit, if you wish to discuss whos who here, suggest you start an off topic thread so we can discuss without trashing this and other threads...

and have you really fit replacement barrels to receivers and forends?...or is that just a bogus boast on your part?

Double shotguns do not have receivers Ed. They have actions. Big difference, if you actually knew anything about guns. But you seem to be wrong a lot more than you are right... just like Jagermeister.

Yes, I have fitted orphan barrels to guns with damaged or missing barrels. The first one I did was an OO Grade L.C. Smith that had the left barrel blown up due to a plug of snow in the barrels. I also did a couple Syracuse Lefevers, and a 20 ga. Ithaca Flues. I'm still looking for barrels and a forend for an early four digit 16 ga. B grade Baker, and either 16 or 20 gauge barrels that I can use to save a G Grade Lefever. The difference in firing pin spacing and breech width is often pretty much inconsequential with many later 20's and 16's. The compensating screw in the action knuckle makes it a bit easier than stoning or building up and dressing a hook. And making a new bolt of the correct thickness is not as difficult as with most other guns. Then one doesn't need to peen dolls heads or bend top levers like you know who to have them right of center and tightly bolted. Oh yes, I also have a set of Lefever DSE barrels to use on an IE grade that has pitted barrels, but that project is pending.

Here's one I saw recently. It has different serial numbers on both barrels, on the water table, and on the forend iron. The buttstock is also quite proud of the action, and most likely came from another gun as well. The fact that an E grade Lefever with nice wood and auto ejectors didn't get more than two bids with a high of $555.00 goes to show that marrying a bunch of non-original parts isn't going to net you a bunch of money when you sell.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712158122

EDIT for Ed Good: If I started a new thread to discuss the fact that you don't know the difference between a receiver and an action, you still wouldn't be happy. If you wish to discuss gunsmithing, I suggest you have a talk with old Ed Lander while you two burn some double shotgun actions... not receivers... with an acetylene torch.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:41 AM
well keit, if you wish to discuss shotgun nomenclature, then suggest you start a new thread so we can discuss that topic without trashing this thread and others...

as for your experiences fitting barrels to receivers/actions, they sound interesting...ever done a two barrel set?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:41 AM
My experience with a 1909 Fox CE is typical. After a stuck wad induced barrel bulge, I tried twice to fit orphaned barrels with no luck. There are just too many variables. The breech width is a big one, and very few sellers are unable or unwilling to provide a precise mic’d measurement of the width. I have several Foxes, and no similar gauge barrel from one fits any other, even ones from the same year of manufacture.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 02:55 AM
Like others here I have successfully been able add a set of barrels to a gun (20ga LC Smith 5E). I paid for it because I wanted a two sets of barrels and the cost of the donor gun with good barrels was acceptable to. In the end it worked but was not ideal and having a forend to go with the barrels to be added helped.

I admire the gunsmithing skills of those like SKB and Keith who have actually done it.

In answer to the thread question can orphan barrels be fitted, yes, but with skilled hands, and perhaps great costs as others have already stated.

I believe as SKB stated “possible yes, but not likely.” re some Purdey barrels applies to most orphaned barrel options

Do not agree whatsoever with Ed’s generic statement
experience has proven the following guns are more likely to interchange barrels:

fox sterlingworth...............

My experience with Fox Sterlingworth guns has not shown that, at all.

I believe you really have to want to fit a orphaned set or new set and you can afford the price immaterial of recovering your investment. Adding barrels is either out of love for bringing a gun back or making it more versatile, but it is sunk money you will not get back.

That said, I still dream of adding a set of barrels to my Purdey 16ga, despite the fact the current tubes are still good and the likelihood of finding an orphaned set is zero and Bill Blacker barrels are beyond my purse for the time being.

Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 03:03 AM
gr: that has been my experience...graded fox guns are inconsistent...however, have seen a few 12 gauge sterlingworths with two sets of barrels...most with a single forend.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 03:13 AM
old: as for fitting barrels to 12 gauge sterlingworths...best results have been experienced with barrels with serial numbers within a few thousands of each other...and post ww1 guns seem to be more consistent than older pre war made guns...wish i had some pictures to post, but alas i dont...
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 05:25 PM
FYI, there is no difference between sterlingworths and graded foxes in regards to barrel breech fitment and lock up.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 07:32 PM
dudley: that is true, but the likelihood of fitting orphan barrels to fox receivers and forends has more to do with manufacturing consistency and production batch lot consistency than it does with barrel breech fitment and lockup...

in addition, fox graded guns were made with different weight barrels, which is one of the reasons it is so difficult to fit barrels from one graded fox gun to the other...whereas, sterlingworths are more likely to have barrels of similar weight and hence makes it more likely that they can be fit from one sterlingworth to another...

what has been your experience in attempting to fit orphan barrels?
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 07:57 PM
Tube weights have nothing to do with it.

My experience you ask about? It tells me that you you know little of what you speak. Does that answer your question?
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 08:00 PM
Poor Ed. You just can't accept the fact that you have once again showed us your lack of knowledge, and feel you need to keep dredging for some small particle to excuse the incorrect information you provided.

You provide a disservice to others who are genuinely attempting to learn about doubles and other fine guns here when you post incorrect information. Now that is really trashing a thread... especially when you can't man-up and admit when you are wrong when someone like Mr. Dudley or the Colonel takes the time to politely correct you. By the way, did you look up the difference between an action and a receiver? Or is it true what they say about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks?
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 08:13 PM
dudley: if you have experience or knowledge of refit of orphan barrels, to specific fox guns, then do share it with us here...so far you have not, which suggests that you know even less than i do about this subject...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 08:29 PM
any others out there with experience or knowledge of orphan barrels fit to fox guns? how about parkers or other american made mass produced guns?

for example, last year, i sold two nitro specials fit with original and orphan barrels...one in 12 gauge and the other in 20 gauge...
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 08:34 PM
Sterlingworths come in different barrels weights also. Bobby
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 08:37 PM
I have not fooled with LC Smiths as much as Foxes but to me Smith barrels interchange better than Fox. Bobby
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 09:30 PM
I have fitted a set of Sterlingworth ejector barrels to a Sterlingworth ejector action, using one forend. I have fitted a set of Parker O frame 20 gauge A-1 Special barrels to a 16 gauge GHE Damascus action, two forends. I fitted a set of 16 gauge Special Steel ejector barrels to the same gun. I fitted a set of 12 gauge O grade L.C. Smith barrels to an OE grade Smith vent rib action. One set ejects and one set extracts. I fitted a set of 3 frame 10 gauge Titanic Steel barrels to a BH grade 3 frame Parker. I also fitted a set of 3 frame Damascus barrels to the same gun. I have fitted a set of Parker 2 frame top lever 12 gauge hammer gun barrels to a 2 frame 10 gauge hammer gun action. Luckily, I have not had to touch any of these guns with a file. None of these guns have any barrel or action overhang or poor forend fit.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 10:40 PM
Ed,

If you look at the third post on this thread, you will see my thoughts on the subject. That is a general statement based on experience. Yes, i could go into more detail, but i know you really do not care about hearing it and i dont have the time to waste.
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 11/30/17 11:44 PM
any others out there with experience or knowledge of orphan barrels fit to fox guns? how about parkers or other american made mass produced guns?

for example, last year, i sold two nitro specials fit with original and orphan barrels...one in 12 gauge and the other in 20 gauge...

What does this prove Ed? The fact that a different set of barrels is installed on a gun does not mean they were fitted correctly. We already know your incorrect thoughts on defining whether a gun is loose or off-face. We have also heard your silly excuses for your lack of a return policy when dissatisfied buyers have attempted to return shotguns that were loose with the forend removed.

It is perfectly understandable why nobody wishes to take your trolling bait and enter into a technical discussion with someone who has a long track record of rejecting facts and the truth.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:13 AM
just remembered another two barrel set that i sold a couple of years ago...it was a high 80,000's vintage parker gh, with damascus barrels on a #2 frame...also fit to the receiver and forend was a set of low 90,000's vintage vh fluid steel barrels, also made to fit a #2 frame...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:38 AM
Did you torch the action on that one, ed?

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:48 AM
and the more i think about this, i seem to remember a 12 gauge parker trojan with an additional set of orphan trojan barrels fit to the receiver and forend...

a conclusion one could make is that mass produced american guns, such as fox sterlingworths, parker trojans and ithaca nitro specials are likely candidates for orphan barrel fitting success, particularly, if the orphan barrels are numbered within a few thousands of the receiver...

it surprises me that some of you have had success fitting lc smith barrels...one would think that due to the ups and downs of that brand, plus the many design and manufacturing changes that incurred over the years, that it would be unlikely that smith barrels would interchange, except where the serial numbers of the receiver and orphan barrels are close...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:55 AM
stan: if you wish to discuss shotgun receiver recoloring methodologies, then do start a thread on the subject...however, it is doubtful that anything new could be added to what has already been stated in other threads on this fine forum...

cept, a quick google search did reveal this:

https://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/color-case-hardening-patina-kit/
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 11:58 AM
it surprises me that some of you have had success fitting lc smith barrels...one would think that due to the ups and downs of that brand, plus the many design and manufacturing changes that incurred over the years, that it would be unlikely that smith barrels would interchange, except where the serial numbers of the receiver and orphan barrels are close...

That's what happens when you actually do things for yourself, ed. You learn things that those who simply postulate never do.

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 01:15 PM
Well, there's to be expected back and forth snarkiness but what comes across is some real expertise on this board. I personally find this thread fascinating in two ways and would like to see it expanded:

1I. I'd love to see a youtube video on fitting orphaned barrels...and how it's done. I once found an incredibly interesting video featuring an 80 year old British gun master tightening up and putting on face an old gun...using hammers, vise, file and a smoke lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqfxRugPVw

and 2) the whole subject of the science of case coloring is unknown to me (ok I've watched youtube videos of firing the whole action but restoring case colors is another subject - you all have mentioned "arsenic" etc.). I once started a thread on a Saint Etienne gun I was interested in with what I thought might be redone case colors and was challenged as to what an early 20th century French gun's colors actually looked like. I've been compiling a library ever since.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...9546#Post489546
ed, because Hunter Arms made hundreds of thousands of these guns there were jigs used to align the parts of the barrels. The for-end loop is one, the hinge pin on both frames Regular and Featherweight, even the extension rib going into the receiver. Therefore there was little hand fitting to be done and that is why many orphaned barrels can be fitted with very minimal fitting or none at all.
I like to shoot one hammer gun circa 1908, that when I bought it had 25 5/16" barrels, I knew they were cut but I also knew that I would find a set to fit it. I did and since than I have fit 3 other orphaned barrels to it, two fit right on, on face with a few thousands gap between the water tables as it should be. One of these sets is from a No. 1 circa 1899 that fit right on. The last set, from a Field Grade with Armor Steel circa 1917 took some time to fit because of the top rib extension and the hook. The left barrel is tight on face and the right is .002 off face having to do with the hook being slightly on an angle as shown by the Prussian blue readings. The lever is way to the right of center and this is due to the "window" opening in the top rib. This set of barrels has a narrow window and the rotary bolt catches it but not fully. I could take more off the slope of the top rib window but it locks up solid. I use these set of barrels for trap shooting as they are 32" with .040 and .041 constriction.
The hardest thing is fitting the for-end, and I use one for-end for all 4 barrels. I just recently put a beavertail for-end on this gun with a roller release. This took many hours to fit just to make the changes in the iron to except the roller release. This beavertail also has a recoil rod that is was fit to it and now this for-end fits 3 of the barrels, still have to work on the original set with the cut barrels.
I do this for myself as I am retired and have the man hours to do it. It is a fun project to work on these guns. I do not know about other brands of guns as L.C. Smiths are the only guns I work on.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:42 PM
david: your post is most interesting and informative ...sounds like hunter arms smiths should be added to the list of likely candidates for fitting orphan barrels...wish i had your literary skill...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:53 PM
argo: the topic of shotgun receiver recoloring has generated so much venom here, that the mere discussion of alternatives and methodologies has become poisonous...

the midland jack rowe video is a classic...and many more larry potterfield gunsmithing videos many be found via google search...all are informative and entertaining..
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 03:59 PM

the midland jack rowe video is a classic...and many more larry potterfield gunsmithing videos many be found via google search...all are informative and entertaining..

I hate to think how many guns have been boogered up due to that video . . .
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 04:34 PM
blade: jack rowe's method of tightening guns seems pretty straight forward...interesting that you express disapproval here without details to support your objection...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 04:54 PM
and stan, with regard to gunsmithing skills, some of us here are players and some are fans...

i am an enthusiastic fan...which are you?
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 05:26 PM
blade: jack rowe's method of tightening guns seems pretty straight forward...interesting that you express disapproval here without details to support your objection...

Sorry, my skepticism comes from having spent a few years behind a retail firearms counter. I know all too well the level of judgment and discretion of many gun owners. There's little that can't be screwed up beyond recognition by a gun guy with a few tools.

I'm sure some guys are capable of following Mr. Rowe's example without ill effect but for others the best advice is probably "Put down the hammer and move away from the shotgun." (I'm sure present company is excepted from this negative characterization, however.)

Besides, beating on the gun seems like a temporary solution at best.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 05:53 PM
blade: agreed...
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 09:13 PM
and stan, with regard to gunsmithing skills, some of us here are players and some are fans...

Ed, why don't you tell the truth. Real gun guys and enthusiastic fans of guns do not post things like this:

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

I see that your one man fan club thinks comments such as this amount to "snarkiness". I see it differently. This is what's called not permitting a Troll to continue disingenuous and dishonest behavior unabated. What you are attempting to do is certainly not civil or polite. Did you figure out the difference between a receiver and an action yet? Don't bother preaching about getting off-topic after you posted an off-topic link to a fake case color process in order to veer away from your history of actions grotesquely burned with an acetylene torch in order to maximize profits from naive buyers.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 09:28 PM
yawn...
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: keith

I see that your one man fan club thinks comments such as this amount to "snarkiness".

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/
adjective North American informal
adjective: snarky; comparative adjective: snarkier; superlative adjective: snarkiest

(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.

Keith, while not being critical of your holding Ed to account at all, sounds like Argo picked a perfect word to describe some of the posts.

"Sharply critical" - Yup!
"Cutting" - Yup!
"Snide" - Yup!

So what's the problem? Would you really disagree?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/01/17 09:31 PM

None of your business. I don't dance to your pitiful tune, ed.

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 12:17 AM
Hey Keith, Mr. Lowndes (just ran across the name in a book on the origin of geological mapping in England in the early 19th Century), let me clarify who I’m a “fan” of on this board.

First, I’ve spent a lifetime abroad trying to figure out who is in front of me, whether they are who they claim to be, and whether they’re telling the truth about what they claim to know. And I’ve dealt with a lot of carpet merchants (I collected carpets in central Asia), used car salesmen, information peddlers, dilettantes and mad-men so I’m not so easily fooled. Most of us by our 70’s don’t need to be “protected” by the strumfhurer comrade red-agitprop information police.

So here is my assessment of the types posting on this fantastic board that I was lucky enough to discover almost two years ago:

— the engineers - they know chamber pressures, metallurgy,
— the collectors - they know values, models, quirks, dents, condition
— the niche-ers - they are the true experts on a corner of intellectualism.
— the shooters - they know loads, patterns, balance, swing
— the dilettantes - they know engravings, names, fashions, phrases, mustaches
— the dealers - they will be of two types, the sharpsters and the “honest.”
— the salesmen - ah, but look at this case color
— the fraudsters - but since nobody is actually selling anything on this particular board, hard to quantify.
— the BS artists - let me tell you about…
— the egoists - well, I just bought another $$$$
— the craftsmen - I just tried fitting barrels to a…..and it worked after 40 hrs of labor
-- the observers - by the millions?
-- the inquirers - is my rusted studebaker...
-- the students - me

Each has a lot to add to this board. The ones you pay attention to are the ones with expertise.

— Then there are the ranters and insulters - They are the drunks in the bar who have an opinion about everything or nothing.

As for Ed, my assessment: well, he is a salesman. He sold me a gun and I didn’t know it was him when I first contacted him about it The gun was as advertised…better even…and Ed is intelligent, probably sitting in a NH village and needing some intellectual company. He could sell the Brooklyn Bridge to the right guy or try to, and he’d be a good dinner companion. I think he knows “guns” as a dealer…he doesn’t know gunsmithing, engineering or craftsmanship and thus his opinions are just that, opinions. As for his politics, he trolls and the stuff he trolls is as stupid as trolls are but apparently satisfies a need of some sort for some reason. Nuff said. If Ed trolls politics…give him Hell as Truman said…. If he flogs a local gun he’s been asked to front for and is sketchy…hold him accountable. Zingers are enjoyable and there are egos here easily bruised. But dull repetitive ranting is a regressive intellectual killer and not even fun.

And by the way, in case you didn't notice...... there are a couple of amazing posts above from some "craftsmen" who have actually fitted orphan barrels. God I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.

Gene H. Williams...RT Delaware.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:05 AM

— the loons.

Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:05 AM
well stan, you continue to launch provocative missiles in my direction...but seem to object when i fling them back at you...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:10 AM
argo, i do enjoy selling...thanks for the kind words...nothing pleases me more than hearing from a satisfied customer...

would love to discuss politics and social issues here, but alas they are considered off topic...i will say that i have been a fan of donald trump since the mid eighties...and am in agreement with his views and agenda...
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:12 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Keith, while not being critical of your holding Ed to account at all, sounds like Argo picked a perfect word to describe some of the posts.

"Sharply critical" - Yup!
"Cutting" - Yup!
"Snide" - Yup!

So what's the problem? Would you really disagree?

James, I already said that I disagree in my previous post, and I took the time to explain myself. And I didn't say that I had a problem with that observation, even though I continue to disagree with it. I know that you admire Argo for his contributions here with his collection of E.M. Reilly history and serial numbers, and his very useful compilation of translations of French-English firearms terminology. I admire those efforts as well, and have even contributed to the latter. You and I both know that Ed Good and his posts have been a huge net negative on this board. He offers next to nothing of value, frequently provides incorrect information, and he has been a constant source of anti-gun Trolling. I don't know of anyone who has had his posting privileges suspended as many times as Ed, do you? He did as much as he could to disrupt the "Preserve The Second Amendment Thread-Informational" that Dave Weber had pinned to the very top of the Thread Subjects List, until Dave finally let it fade into obscurity. When Ed Good contacted me by PM and I had him convinced that I was King Brown, posting under another user name, with the goal of getting Dave to eliminate the Misfires forum by fomenting constant disruptions, he was enthusiastic about it. Ed has transcended far beyond being an annoyance and a source of frequently incorrect double-gun information.

I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read this:

Originally Posted By: Argo44
...Ed is intelligent, probably sitting in a NH village and needing some intellectual company.

But then, in the same paragraph, he goes on to repeat his previous observation that Ed is indeed a Troll:

As for his politics, he trolls and the stuff he trolls is as stupid as trolls are but apparently satisfies a need of some sort for some reason. Nuff said. If Ed trolls politics…give him Hell as Truman said….

He has even made the observation that he feels Jagermeister may actually be Ed posting under another user name. I can understand that theory since there are similarities, but I think Jagermeister is a totally different Troll.

I guess I have done exactly what Argo said pertaining to Ed's politics, and "give him Hell as Truman said…." But when I follow his own advice, that seems to bother him, And he has said, in other threads, that I have contributed nothing of value here. I note that he had nothing to say about that assessment that I provide nothing of value here when treblig1958 was kind enough to provide him with several very recent examples while I was away deer hunting for a couple days. And it now seems apparent that once again, he chooses to categorize me in this manner:

— Then there are the ranters and insulters - They are the drunks in the bar who have an opinion about everything or nothing.

Would you categorize that as "snarkiness" too James? I'm just curious. It does seem to fit the definition you provided. I'll just have to find a way to live with the snarkiness that is often directed toward me, because I have no plans to change how I respond to anti-gun Trolls.

Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:20 AM
keit has once again trashed what was a fine double gun thread, with a little help from stan and argo...too bad...
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:22 AM
argo, i do enjoy selling...thanks for the kind words...nothing pleases me more than hearing from a satisfied customer...

And maybe it would be informative to Argo to provide him with some examples of how Ed responds with threats to his dissatisfied customers... colorful enough to precipitate at least one of his suspensions. It is fortunate that he was lucky enough to buy one of those consignment guns that had no obvious problems. We all know what would have happened if Argo had wished to return it after the standard 3 day non-firing inspection.

Would you care to tell us what things Stan or I have said that you can honestly refute Ed? My opinion of you has always been based solely upon your own words and actions.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:29 AM
Keith...I admit there are fraudsters out there and businessmen. There are likely very few people ever involved with business for more than 3 months who could pass a government polygraph. You all know who he is...I've a very short experience. Except I do know who he is. I did mention the "Brooklyn Bridge." So we're pretty close in our assessment. Still, salesmen. marketeers, advertisers, frontmen, conmen can be charming...the movies are filled with them starting with "The Sting" - otherwise why would they be there. If you guys got hurt it's good reason for retribution. When I discovered I was talking to "Ed" I took a "chance." I was more than pleased with the result. one point on a graph, admittedly.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:32 AM
keit: i cannot stop you from attacking me personally, but i can certainly defend my relationship and reputation with my customers...following is link to my current gunbroker feedback:

http://www.gunbroker.com/a/feedback/profile/128526

and keit, do you have any positive feedback from anyone, anywhere? based upon the negative, mean and borish persona that you exhibit here, it is doubtful...
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:42 AM
et tu argo?

and speaking of movies, this thread now reminds me of "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"...cept in this version, nurse ratched, ie dave, has gone on a long vacation.. and the inmates are now running the ward...

https://putlockerss.cc/watch/one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-hd-720p.html
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:49 AM
Keith...I admit there are fraudsters out there and businessmen. There are likely very few people ever involved with business for more than 3 months who could pass a government polygraph. You all know who he is...I've a very short experience. Except I do know who he is. I did mention the "Brooklyn Bridge." So we're pretty close in our assessment. Still, conmen can be charming...the movies are filled with them starting with "The Sting."

Thanks for that very reasonable reply. I have no plans to purchase any guns from Ed, based upon the very real feedback that I have read from some of his dissatisfied customers here over the years. Ed will never post a link to those! I'm more concerned with Ed's anti-2nd Amendment rhetoric, and his disingenuous attempts to portray himself as something vastly different than what he is and does. Some of us have a very real interest in the fitting of orphan barrels, and some of us have actual experience doing it, or wish to learn about more about it. I don't feel that was Ed's motivation for participating at all, based upon prior interactions with him.

Interesting to note how Ed edited his remarks to include you, along with Stan and I, as responsible for trashing this thread. Strange behavior indeed, when you say he has actually admitted to being a Troll here. That's exactly what I mean when I say he is only interested in creating a persona that has no basis in reality. Unfortunately, he isn't alone.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:50 AM
And by the way, in case you didn't notice...... there are a couple of amazing posts above from some "craftsmen" who have actually fitted orphan barrels. God I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 03:06 AM
I have done enough attempted barrel fitting to know that I don't want to do it when I want near a near perfect outcome. And, that is the only kind of fitting job I would be satisfied with. There are many gunsmithing jobs I have learned to do, and enjoy. I may try again, but the truth is I'm not willing at this point to risk messing up a nice set, to learn by mistakes, and I'm not willing to invest the time necessary to teach myself on a "scrap" gun and barrels set that won't be used afterwards. I know that is a proper way to learn, but I'm just not there yet.

I would pay well, or be willing to barter anything reasonable, to sit under a master barrel fitter and be taught, without having to figure it all out for myself and make all the usual mistakes. Or, maybe I'm just lazy.

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 03:12 AM
Argo44, then I would suggest that you find a copy of "Shotgun Technicana" by Michael McIntosh and David Trevallion. There is a very good explanation of the fitting of barrels to the action there, and a whole lot more you'd likely find interesting. It is out of print, and much in demand, so used copies often sell for $100.00 or more. But occasionally you can snag one for less.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I would pay well, or be willing to barter anything reasonable, to sit under a master barrel fitter and be taught, without having to figure it all out for myself and make all the usual mistakes. Or, maybe I'm just lazy.

SRH

No, Stan, you're just wise. "Fools rush in....."
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:54 PM
Where is Francis? Is he still above ground?
Posted By: old colonel Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

I would pay well, or be willing to barter anything reasonable, to sit under a master barrel fitter and be taught, without having to figure it all out for myself and make all the usual mistakes.
SRH

Who are the currently working gunsmiths out there that are “Master Barrel Fitters”?
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 03:09 PM
possibilities include custom gunmakers...like dewey vicknair, etc...and european trained smiths, such as gunter pfrommer, etc...
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Fitting orphaned shotgun barrels - 12/02/17 06:23 PM
Sorry boys....no vacation....been hunting mostly...3 deer so far.

Any how....instead of wasting your valuable time pissing on each other get out there and do some shooting and/or hunting.

These guns we love are meant to be used by sportsmanship of the non-armchair variety.

The stand is up...and me and my Kreighoff Drilling are headed that way.....Be good?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com