doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 Reilly vs Reilly - 11/22/17 01:47 AM

Does anyone know if J C Reilly was in any way related to E M Reilly? Both were English gun makers.

Thanks
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/22/17 02:19 AM
Scroll down to trw999's post and sit down to read a spell.

Good stuff.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=333352

SRH
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/22/17 03:39 AM

Thanks, Stan,
That post definitely answered my question.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 09:12 AM
Come on guys....below is a thread I authored (my first post on DBS) and (modestly) it is THE definitive thread on Reilly in all of shotgundom... Take a look at the 3rd post - history of Reilly...and the 5th.-15th etc...chronological list of Reilly serial numbers which allows pretty precise dating of the guns. If you've got a JC Reilly Serial Number, I'd really like to see it and photos...or better yet post it on this thread. Many thanks.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437168&page=1

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 11:33 AM
I didn't mean to not mention your work, Argo. I just did a quick search and linked the first thing I found that answered the original poster's question. I don't have any personal interest in Reilly guns right now. I'm sure your history and chronology is much appreciated by those who do.

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:00 PM
Stan, I was just kidding. But Reilly SN 34,723, that 1898 12 bore hammer gun with 30" Damascus barrels, is what revived my interest in SxS's. And because I spent so much time researching the gun, I like to see any Reilly that shows up on the internet. I continue to compile information on these guns as they appear. It's frustrating that a lot of the Reilly's being sold just don't mention the SN or have pictures of the name/address on the rib. And when I request the info from the seller, more often than not nothing comes back.

There are of course far fewer JC Reilly's around from the 1820's to 1847. I now am convinced that JC (and EM as a youth) made about 4,000 guns from circa mid-1820's before moving to 502 Oxford Street in March 1847 and that upon the move EM bumped his SN's up 5,000 numbers at that time (possibly to separate his production from that of his father?) (probably starting at SN 8,400 - earliest SN I've found for Reilly after this move is 8,464 and the label on the case still says "removed from Holborn" - i.e just moved.

Label from 8464 - Joseph charles Reilly at 502 Oxford Street with "Removed from Holborn" - earliest SN I've found with the Oxford Street address on the rib.

Label from an Air-cane gun from the same timeframe.

And from an air-cane from just before the move to Oxford St.

It may be that JC kept the old consecutive numbering system for himself, because I found a gun with JC Reilly on the rib and the 502 Oxford Street address allegedly numbered 7,201 (see page 6 of the line)(that sn is unconfirmed - no photos). Just not enough SN's available to confirm this hypothisis, however.

I think SxS 40 bought several of Terry Buffum's guns.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:18 PM
Argo44,

Too bad most of the pictures in the thread are no longer available.

Ken
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:25 PM
I have kept the pictures. Perhaps I'll go back into the line and post the most important ones....photobucket is just a plain hostage taker.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:25 PM
I thought so, and just want you to know I appreciate the work you've done compiling data on the Reilly makers.

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:49 PM
Here is a picture of Holborn Bars - where the Reilly's had their shop from 1814 to August 18435 The building was torn down. You can see "Holborn Bars" on top of the building.

Here is a picture of the label in my case. It has the Paris address and the SN of the gun 26584 is written in the upper corner with 1886 written in the lower right corner. This is the last Reilly SN I've found with the Paris address. he closed Rue Scribe in August 1886.

And here is a bad picture of my Reilly, 34,723 - when I get home in two months, I'll post a better picture.

[
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 04:52 PM
Argo44,

In case you don't look at the WR blog, this is an over the top EM Reilly Reilly .

Ken
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 05:10 PM
A few more marker ads for Reilly's from the deleted photos in the main EM Reilly line:

Ad from 1858 - "Reilly" is the name used. 502 Oxford Street.

1959 ad - First mention of the branch store at 315 Oxford Street.

[

1859 ad - first mention of E.M. Reilly & Co.

1861 Ad. 502 and 315 addresses.

1868 ad...Note addition of the Rue Scribe, Paris address and the medals he won at the 1867 Paris fair and mention of "l'Emperor."

1882 Ad - note change in the numbering system on Oxford Street.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 05:23 PM
KDGJ, thanks...I got that gun in the original chronological listing. And it's a problematic gun for me: Here is my post at the time (updated a bit):

25161 - ??? !!!!!!!! 1885 SN with 1880 date on the case !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Name: E.M. REILLY & CO. 502. NEW OXFORD STREET. LONDON & RUE SCRIBE. PARIS
Descriptions: 25 1/2in. black powder only bold damascus rifled barrels. breech ends with feathered bands and single gold line, individual fore-end with Anson push rod release catch, the iron retaining much original colour-hardening; sidelever action with Purdey 1863 patent double bite, carved percussion fences, rebounding bar locks by Stanton, bar-in-wood, standing breech

Comment: This is a problematic gun for me. The gun was made for King Alphonso XII of Spain. The case is marked “shooting prize 1880”. It was supposedly given by the king as a shooting prize. But the serial number should be about 1884-85 date range; Yet the address is Pre 1882 - Reilly of course did continue at times to use his 502 address rather than “16” for reasons of tradition..but why 1880 on the case when the SN is 1885? Perhaps the gun was made later to fit the case which was already in Spain…

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...4&saletype=

If you read the history of the gun from the above auction site, there appears to be something odd going on. It disappeared...reappeared...etc.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/23/17 09:35 PM
If you'd like to see what Reilly could do...I'll repost this late-1850's cannon:

11xxx ?? (take a look at this 1850's "Puff the Magic Dragon" aka "Spooky")
Name: E.M. REILLY, 502 NEW OXFORD STREET, LONDON (on case Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London).
Description: A rare cased four barreled percussion gun by Reilly, dating: mid-19th Century, provenance: London. Round, smooth barrels; the upper ones are 11 mm cal.
.....Comment: No SN. 4 (Four!!) Beautiful Damascus barrels. Muzzle loader. Looks to be late 1850’s; “EM” is clearly on the rib. "Reilly London" on the side plates. Can't figure out how the four hammers work with two triggers (looks like you pull the trigger...recock the hammer, flip over a hammer extension and pull it again). As such I’d estimate the SN should be around 11200). (It would be nice to look at the gun or to have the auction house post a SN).
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-...42-c-a92474cb0a
.....Comment: the label in the case is unique (haven't seen the like). It uses "Reilly" not "EM" (though the gun has EM on the rib) and has the 502 address. It has two medals, "Exposition Medal London" and "Prize Medal Paris" (can't read the dates - might refer to his stand at the London Fair 1851 and at Paris in 1855). Sanscrit writing on the label... and there is a French phrase "Fusils a bascule" on the label. The gun is amazing. Take a look.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/24/17 10:58 PM
Well, there are three Reilly's for sale on the net currently that I can find. One of them might be a Terry Buffum gun, an underlever hammer gun that looks to be quite fine..at a reasonable price (I supposed)....the seller won't respond to my requests for additional information. But it seems the prices have been creeping up for these fine guns. Wonder if DBS can be "blamed?"
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/25/17 07:00 AM
Argo44,

Without going through your compilation, can I make the assumption you have logged the Buffum collection guns, that have been auctioned off the last couple of years?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/25/17 10:32 AM
Well, I think I got most of them. The big thing though is by compiling the list of about 300-400 extant Reilly's I was able to come up with a graph which would allow for dating pretty near all of them from the mid 1820's up to about 1903. If you can search that line with the name "Buffum" it should turn up most of them. As I mentioned in the chronology, I think that those two Reilly pistol "duelers" that Terry had, SN 176, are two of the earliest existing Reilly's anywhere. As I mentioned by about 1840's Reilly pistols were no longer numbered in the Reilly long-gun series but It's possible that early on they may have been.

However, if you could post some photos of the ones you bought, along with serial number snd the names/addresses on the ribs, it would benefit history. I recall that HWK from this board bought some of them too.

Gene Williams

edit: I just searched my draft and here are Terry's serial numbers in the chronology....you'll see in the line that Terry made some comments ...he also sent me a Reilly artifact he'd been holding. Haven't heard from him for awhile and hope he's ok. I could provide dates for these from the analysis if there is interest. I posted links on each of the recorded SN's and most still work if you want to see pics from the internet.

176 (pistols)
18550 - (from an addendum I'm still compiling)
21761 - (from a subsequent list posted in the line)
24850 - (from an addendum not yet posted)
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/25/17 09:00 PM
Argo44,

Being a computer idiot, I will post photo's as soon as I can get my daughter to assist.

Following is a list of my recent acquisitions, with the information you requested. I believe these are all prior Buffum collection guns.

No 15287,
Jones under lever hammer gun 12ga. rib marked, Oxford St. London
No 26557
Jones under lever hammer gun, 20ga. barrels marked, EM. Reilly Gun & Rifle maker, 16 New Oxford St & Rue Scribe Paris
No 14985
Jones under lever hammer gun, 16ga. rib marked, E M Reilly Oxford St. London
No 22093
Woodward snap action, 12ga. no rib or barrel markings
No 21761
Woodward snap action with side bolts, quadra bolt? 500 BPE rifle
barrels marked E M Reilly New Oxford St. London & Rue Scribe Paris
No 24850
Back action side lock, hump back, H&H style, 12ga. New barrels by Darlow's of Norwich, marked on rib
In Transit:
No 7869
J C Reilly, percussion hammer gun, muzzle loader, 12ga. rib marked J C Reilly New Oxford St. London

SXS40(HWK)

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/26/17 10:34 AM
Thanks Hwk for the information; I didn't have some of these. For me the most important chronologically is 7869. Like 7201 mentioned above, it is a JC Reilly and it is marked New Oxford Street.

This seems to indicate that JC Reilly may indeed have separated his numbers from those of his son upon the move in late March 1847. It may be that he reserved a lower number set for himself while EM began about 8,400. I'd love to see pics, especially of the SN and address rib. He was 61 at the time of the move, EM was 30....and EM was probably ready to take over. Perhaps he saw advancing mortality. JC died in 1863 at a country house he had retired to several years earlier (see history).

There a pretty simple site on the web which I'm now using to post pictures and you don't even have to sign in or get an account. (account is free if you do want to sign up).
-- Pull up www.postimage.org.
-- Drag your photo to box entitled "choose images"...wait till a series of formulas appear.

-- Choose the one third from bottom entitled "hotlink for forums" and just click on it and select copy from your edit button on the top of your screen.

-- Then just post the copied link into your text.

If you don't have pics...I learned from my wife. Snap a picture with your I-phone (I didn't have one till about 8 months ago), send it to you e-mail address and move it to your computer desk top. Works for documents too - no one scans stuff anymore according to a tech-savvy French woman.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/26/17 05:41 PM
I'm going back to the original line an post some of this along with another list of recently acquired Reilly SN's including some of Terry's I hadn't known about before...so that it's all in one spot and at some point, may attempt an article if some mag would be interested. (I know how to tell a story...here is an article I wrote about a 14 year old who jumped with the 504th into Sicily and became one of only 325 men to wear three CIB's)
http://specialforces78.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/1215-Sentinel-News.pdf

I am not knowledgeable of prices or condition issues. The Reilly's available in the US seem to range from $1300-on up to $8,000. The sale of Terry Buffum's guns seems to be the most recent measurable bench-mark but some things have changed this last year, including this site. "Rocketman" has a formula which seems to work - unless Reilly's move up from 3rd to 2nd tier or something.

If you're in UK, though....£1,000 will get you some interesting guns. An example (re-barrelled)

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/reilly-em/side-by-side/12-gauge/sidelock-170803123844011

Or another (rebarrelled):

Or: (no photos and the advertisement does seem sort of Carney-Barkerish:)

Xxxxx
Xxxxx
Lovely pair of.(12 bore boxlock ejectors by E.M.Reilly.) in very good condition for years both in proof semi pistol grips actions are very tite wood work in good condition for years barells 28in chambours 2 1-2 in both sets chokes at cylinder and quarter second barells. Quarter. and a half choke and to go with them a lovely Victorian double leg of mutton this item is quite rare now in very good condition as are the shotguns. £4.000
https://www.gunstar.co.uk/e-m-reilly-co-boxlock-ejecters-12-bore-gauge-side-by-side/Shotguns/952238
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/27/17 01:44 AM

I tried your photo posting method, it didn't work. I must be doing something wrong.
I uploaded several photos at once, but when I posted them in the forum, only the last one I uploaded showed up, and it was too large. ??
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/28/17 02:59 PM
I had a problem loading two at once too. Try them one at a time. If the format is too large...you can resize them using that resize button. Experiment. It should work. As I said. I only load one at a time. copy the formula. post it. reload post image and load another. There's probably a way to do it all at once...haven't figured that out yet. If you don't want to keep your DBS post open (while you're working on post image....you could copy each formula onto a note then post the note....all at once.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 11/29/17 11:33 PM
I used Gil's fix for unblocking photoshop, then went back and checked my original EM Reilly line. And in the "air gun" section there is an entry for a JC Reilly Air gun, SN 7801 with an Oxford street address.

This is the third JC Reilly SN in the 7000's after their move to 502 New Oxford Street in 1847 and I'm getting pretty near to saying definitively that at the time of their move, EM set up his own numbering system starting with 8,400 while the aging JC kept numbers beginning perhaps at 7,000?

I'll repost the air-cane below:

3). 7801 ??
Name: REILLY, NEW OXFORD STREET, LONDON
Description: REILLY LONDON A RARE CASED 28-BORE PERCUSSION COMBINATION WALKING-STICK GUN serial no. 7801. circa 1845 comprising of a 28 3/4in. re-browned octagonal damascus rifle barrel signed `REILLY NEW OXFORD STREET LONDON` (renewed) small dove-tailed crescent fore-sight blued standing notch rear-sight with one folding leaf a 29 3/4in. re-browned damascus round shot barrel with octagonal breech section (unsigned) and an unsigned octagonal 32-bore 3in. re-browned damascus pistol barrel (probably a later addition) matching period London proofs together with a percussion under-hammer squared boxlock action with guarded trigger the top-tang signed `REILLY NEW OXFORD ST. LONDON`

Comment:
--this is an early Reilly after they moved to 502 New Oxford Street in late March 1847. It has he picture of 502 indicating it is post 1848-9. For the first 12 months or so after the move the wrote "removed from Holborn" on the labels.
--The SN is interesting because if his air-gun canes were numbered in the same series as his long guns, this is the earliest number after the move. I’ve speculated that EM and JC just jumped numbers up from about 4.500 to 8,400 after the move. However, this cane if the SN is in the long-gun series will change that.
-- (the auction house is wrong; the cane can’t be 1845 and have the New Oxford Street address - see the chronology)
-- Note: I’ve found a JC REILLY shotgun with the 502 New Oxford Street address with a serial number 7280. This is outside of the EM Reilly numbering system - the earliest I found was 8463, which had the label "502 New Oxford" plus "removed from Holborn." (posted below) This makes me wonder whether Joseph Charles and E.M split their serial numbering at this time. i.e. J.C. may have continued with his own numbering system and let EM begin anew with SN’s after 8,400). This will be investigated further. (or it could be that the "7" is actually a "9")
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/aucti...f6-a4340134dc99

And move this to the main line...this is exciting historical stuff (for me).

Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/03/17 10:21 PM
Argo44: following are the photographs of the Reilly's. The photos are in the order of my previous listing. What impressed me about these is the quality of the engraving and wood. The JC Reilly is still in transit. Sorry for the photo quality, old I phone camera.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/03/17 10:48 PM
OMG, Outside of Terry Buffum, and maybe not even him, I've looked at more Reilly pictures than anyone living...and those are magnificent. Reilly's speciality was French Maple when a lot of British gun manufacturers' stocks were ...dull.

Reilly went into eclipse shortly after the turn of the 19-20th century and people just didn't remember what he did. Those pics alone should raise Reilly in Rocketman's "prestige" category. The 19th century knew this. You did well to buy from Terry.

(and congrats on mastering not only photo posting but photography because those photos with the lighting, focus, background, are plain excellent1)

Gene Williams
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/03/17 11:05 PM
timg.org/image/3tt28mc4r/][/url]0 BPE rifle.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/03/17 11:08 PM
The last two photos are of the 500 BPE rifle.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 04:41 AM
Hello Argo.Your research on the Reilly's is pretty amazing.The examples I have seen over the years have all been from very good to superb. Obviously they catered to a high end crowd both in Britain and internationally.I will re post my earlier info on my E.M.Reilly hammer pigeon gun and add some pics I had on file.
Sorry for the quality as they were taken quite a while back.I have owned this gun for over 40 years and it is a dream to shoot.
Let me know if any further info would be of use. Terry Lubzinski

My apologizes for not following up on a posting I made in 2010 and adding some information that may add to your chronological listings.Said posting can be found at this address
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191402&page=all
xxxxx - (1880’s?)
Name: Not mentioned.
Description: E.M.Reilly bar-in wood 12 bore with Whitworth steel barrels circa 1885 with 2 3/4" chambers,30" mod. and full and nitro proofed. It has a large capital "B" in 24 carat gold where the oval would normally be.
Comment: This is Terry Lubzinski’s gun…He could add more info including SN, and address on rib, etc.
The gun is serial # 303xx and has only the 277 Oxford St. address not the Rue Scribe.What may be helpful is that the original black powder proofs include Not For Ball which should place the gun at 1887 or earlier.The gun is a personal favorite and still performs regular service at sporting clays

Posted By: George L. Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 05:19 AM
Argo 44, I own an E.M. Reilly 4 bore hammergun that was converted long ago from it's original pinfire. It came to me from an auction in upstate New York in its original trunk case w/ accessories and eight 4 gauge Winchester shells. Is this a fairly rare gun ? The SN is 15625.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 06:54 PM
George 15625 was likely made in in Sep-Oct 1868. It's the only Reilly 4 bore in the chronological list of Serial Numbers.

George: your gun was one of the first I ran across when I started looking at Reilly. I posted this in the Chronological list of SN's in the long EM Reilly History Chronology, Serial Number line:

15625 - (1868)
Name: E.M. REILLY 502 NEW OXFORD STREET LONDON Branch Establishment 2 Rue Scribe Paris
Descriptions: 4 bore SxS cased hammer gun SN 15625 converted by the company in the eighteen hundreds from the original pinfire to centerfire.
Comment: George’s gun and George himself was subject to some painful back and forth-ing on DBS when he first posted the gun, typical of the internet. I firmly dated as being numbered sometime in Sep-Oct 1868.
http://www.mylandco.com/index.php?pageid=4

And I posted the analysis on the long EM Reilly line. I dated it as having been numbered in Fall 1868, possibly September or October.
-- Reilly opened Rue Scribe Feb 1868
-- First SN I've found with Rue Scribe on the Rib is 15270
-- He was numbering about 50 guns a month at the time.
-- Your gun SN is 355 numbers higher than 15270
-- 50 a month after Feb 1868 = 7 months
-- Voila Sep-Oct 1868

1st Rue Scribe gun................................................................................................ 1st Reilly Martini
Febv1868..............Janv1869..............Janv1870...............Janv1871...............Janv1872.......1872
..15270..........v.....15750.................16250...................16750...................17250..........17644 - (at 500/year).
...............Sep.Oct 1868

By the way, it's the only 4 bore in the chronological database. But Reilly numbered over 35,000 guns before the firm dwindled away in he early 1900's. I've only collected SN's and info on about 200.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 07:07 PM
Terry, breath taking gun and still be shot as it's supposed to be. You posted a photo near the end of the other line but these are spectacular.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 07:48 PM
S x S 40 said "following are the photographs of the Reilly's. The photos are in the order of my previous listing. What impressed me about these is the quality of the engraving and wood."

That is what originally attracted me to the Reilly guns. My first Reilly buy (which I still have) is similar to the other Terry's bar in wood pigeon gun with Whitworth tubes.

Note the various actions on S x S 40 collection - no two alike which is another of the fascinations with Reilly; a little known maker with a huge number of different products. The double rifle on what I was told is a Purdey patent is particularly interesting.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 09:18 PM

Terry,

If you don't mind me asking, what method/materials, did you use to clean the actions of these guns? I am obviously enamored with your collection.

Thanks,
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 10:01 PM
Terry (Buffum) (three Terry's in the Reilly collecting community) - Could you please tell us about that last gun, your first Reilly? It sounds amazing and It should be in the database. Many thanks.

(Terry Weiland, who wrote up his Reilly restoration project in Gun Digest, 2014, p. 152; 68th edition, being the third.)
https://books.google.td/books?id=de9XBAA...ion&f=false
links don't work anymore. try this one:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sipping-g...=mp-reader-card
"That E.M. Reilly is the last shotgun I would ever part with."

And by the way Stan is looking for a pigeon hammergun. Reilly's dominated pigeon shoot contests throughout the 1880's.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/04/17 11:52 PM
It seems as though I overlooked another E. M. Reilly. As per Buffum's observation, it was my intent to acquire Reilly's with different types of actions. Here we have another side lock, with lines similar to a Rigby.

Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/05/17 02:52 AM
I've found two discs with the images Dave Wesbrook took about 15 years ago; three are the gun in question, but HUGE files. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to deal with them and if I can get them into my computer rather than hers, I may be able to post. If not, I'll dig out the cased gun and try again to photograph something. Dave's work, of course, is professional. Mine is just plain questionable.

I've also kept a single barrel Reilly percussion rifle (probably J C rather than E M), 6 bore as I recall. Most interesting feature is a skull & cross bones with the Latin "Veni, Vidi, Vici" engraved at the breech.

I saw Stan's "Pigeon gun Wanted" but my Reilly is 29" tubes, he is looking for something longer.

I did not clean anything that was not discolored; then I used 0000 steel wool and light oil.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/05/17 03:28 AM
Thanks for the "pitch" on the pigeon hammergun, Argo.

And, Terry, good to see you posting again. I know you drop in from time to time, but I always appreciate your input and wish it was more often.

SRH
Posted By: snapcap Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/05/17 11:32 PM
This Reilly .577 BPE rifle is another of Terry Buffum's guns. The serial no is 18550 and it has the London and Paris addresses on the barrels. An interesting feature are the missing safeties. The slots have been filled and neatly engraved. Perhaps the original owner had a unpleasant experience fumbling with safeties when something big, fast and nasty was bearing down on him!

[img]
https://s8.postimg.org/kpdq54ped/IMG_0657.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Reilly vs Reilly - 12/06/17 07:59 PM
I noticed an EM Reilly for sale on Guns International:

GI#: 100444651
SKU#:
Title: E.M. Reilly 12 Gauge Royal Unique Action Ejector
Description:
E.M. Reilly 12 Gauge Royal Unique Action Ejector. The action on this shotgun is a Greener sourced Royal with a Greener cross-bolt, tight on face, Greener safety, trace amounts of case colour, full coverage, tight scroll that is clear and defined. The barrels are 30" Damascus with strong brown and clean bores that measure: .734/.734 and chokes: .009/.024, 2 3/4" chamber, new nitro proofs: 12-70 850 bar Birmingham. The stock is a straight grip/ splinter with good chequering and finish, relly nice wood on the butt stock, 14 3/4" lop, 2 1/4" dah, 1 1/2" dac, 6lbs 8oz. 0304361 S97 $7950.00

I queried the dealer on the SN. It is 30166. 16 New Oxford St. on the rib. Previously owned by "LeFusil" mentioned in this line which I got in the original Reilly SN Chronology: Looks like it's sold. Can't see the pics - photobucket is blocking them in the old DBS line even though I installed the Firefox fix. - GI has deleted the entry apparently.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post159969

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com