doublegunshop.com - home
I recently purchased this gun for $200. I have a bit of an affliction for unique and 'cheap' doubles...and I do enjoy the V. Bernardelli guns. This, as most, has had a bit of a rough life, however it has very good bores, is chambered in 12 gauge, and locks up relatively tight. I have not really had the chance to give it a good cleaning yet. I've scoured the internet and cannot find any pictures or information regarding this model with the sliding trigger guard.

Here are the pictures:

Comments are welcome! You will not offend...
What's it look like folded up?...Geo
Posted By: TMair Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/06/17 12:15 AM
I have never seen a folding double, and never seen a folding shotgun with engraving, kind of cool.

TM
Congrats! If your collecting focus is "unique and cheap doubles" I'd say you scored big time! What's the weight. barrel length, chokes, etc?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/06/17 02:52 AM
From this French-English gun terms line, http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=480959

In noting French words for "underlever" and types of underlever, one French ad identified this type of fold-away gun lever as "Clée longueur":

Originally Posted By: TMair
I have never seen a folding double, and never seen a folding shotgun with engraving, kind of cool.

TM

Never seen a folding double, with engraving? Man, you ain't been around. grin

I've had one for years, and it's another make than that one. My first cousin, who knows of my fondness for .410 doubles, gave me an El Faisan .......the ugliest doublegun ever built! It folds like a Beretta single shot, is a side lever opener, has external hammers, sling swivels, nickel plated action, and varnish streaked wood grain. It walks, it talks, it crawls on it's belly like a reptile.

Google it. You won't believe a gun can be that ugly.

Here ya' go. https://www.google.com/search?q=el+faisa...646&bih=996

SRH
Nice - I've seen a pristine Benelli FS-1/M-412 single-shot folder before, but never a double.

Thanks for posting it.

The only folder I now have (I once had a Beretta Companion folder) is a new Chiappa Double Badger .22WMR/.410

The barrels are 27.5", but based on how the rib is filled on the muzzle, I suspect they have been cut. I have not yet measured the chokes. The gun weighs 6lbs 13oz. I was rather shocked by that because these folders are usually very lightweight, however it does have a rather large receiver.

Geo, I'll take a picture of it folded up when I get home from work today...
As promised...(well a little late)

Thanks for the picture. I think that one actually folds a little tighter than a Beretta single 20ga I used to have...Geo
Geo...

I wish you still had that Beretta 20 gauge...so I could buy it off you!
Mr. Brown,

Were the folder models covered in your article about the Bernardelli guns? (I've been looking everywhere for that article, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...)
Posted By: Airo78 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/04/18 11:09 PM
Hi there, i was doing some research of my own and came across this forum for the Bernardelli SXS folding gun.
My late Grandfather left me his old Bernardelli which is very similar to your one. They are known as Underlever. I am restoring and re blueing mine. Gunsmith has never seen one like it before. I would love to get some insight into how old it is.
Posted By: Airo78 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/04/18 11:12 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LV3_vh...8w=w704-h938-no
Daniel,

Does your trigger guard slide horizontally to unlock and open the action? Or do you pull it downward on a hinge to open?
Posted By: Airo78 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/05/18 12:07 AM
It is a downward lever. It actually forms the trigger guard when closed
Of the Bernardelli folding guns, the downward lever models seem to be more prevalent. I've never seen another gun with the sliding trigger guard to open the gun. Both versions are very interesting however...congrats on inheriting a neat gun!
Posted By: Airo78 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/05/18 12:21 AM
Very hard to get information on these.
I have written to Bernardelli HQ to try and find some history.

The company was formed in 1721 but it was not until 1865 when the company as it is known as today began.

Assuming the serial numbers run chronologically i believe yours was 27th built which would date it well over 100years old. Mine is 1700 so not too long after smile
Posted By: Airo78 Re: Bernardelli Folding Shotgun - Pictorial - 11/05/18 12:24 AM
To me it is priceless as it is an heirloom. Traditionally, I bring it out once a year to shoot the first run of opening morning of quail season over my dog. I will post pics when it has been restored.
That would surely be of interest Daniel, please do...
Back in the 1960's Abercrombie & Fitch imported a bit more than 50 Bernardelli single barrel and double barrel folding shotguns. Here is a photo of the record page for a handful in 1961.

The single barrel models retailed at $59.50 and the double barrel at $127.50 in 1961.

The Bernardelli serial numbers in the A&F records are here:

Bernardelli serial numbers

I hope that this is of some interest.

Bob Beach
Archivist
Email: research (AT) griffinhowe.com
Griffin & Howe, Inc.
Griffin & Howe
A Companion was my first gun:

I don’t know who made these. I’ve been told Beretta, Bernardelli, etc, but, I don’t know for sure. When they said full choke, they meant full choke-about 42 points of constriction. My Dad insisted on a 30” barrel, full choke, vent rib, 3” chamber (in a 5 pound gun) and wouldn’t let me shoot it until I had saved enough money to let a hack gunsmith put a recoil pad on it. I wish he hadn’t done that.
My poor Mom spent two days being driven around looking for one with a neighbor lady, with my Dad’s list in her hand.

I never have used it much. Hunting grouse on snowshoes, a bit of trap, that is about it. I bought a repeater about a year or two after getting this for Christmas the year I was 14, and never really looked back.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com