doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DLA Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 10:50 AM
A friend purchased a used MX-8 a couple years ago and has had a good number of instances of the trigger group falling out while shooting. Some individuals are telling him that he is causing the problem by pushing the safety too far forward when releasing it. I have shot the gun trying to replicate the problem but cannot. I find that it takes far more forward pressure on the safety button than I can exert without bracing the gun against something.

Any thoughts from the Perazzi shooters?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 11:38 AM
I've been shooting MX8s for over 10 years, and have never seen that happen. If he can push the safety slide far enough forward to release the trigger group, with gentle thumb pressure, there is a problem with the gun. Every one I have ever had or seen required much more than gentle thumb pressure to overcome the spring to release the trigger group. Some are actually hard to push forward enough to release it. May be nothing more an needing a spring replaced, or crud built up somewhere.

I would call Phillip Crenwelge, at Phillip's Gunsmithing in Texas, and talk with him about it. If it needs attention by a technician I would highly recommend him.

BTW, I never have to move my safety slide. It stays off all the time. But, mine is strictly a competition gun.

SRH
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 12:48 PM
A very tight-fitting trigger group can mask failure of the trigger plate lock to engage its recess in the trigger plate.

You should hear/feel the distinct click when the lock engages. Possibly just crud binding things, and you might not notice the lack of added spring tension when pushing the safety forward. BTDT.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 03:37 PM
About Philip, visited him Friday, in 2 hours he repaired a doubling K-80, A misfiring K-80, a misfiring 682, and assembled and adjusted a torn down WW21. This guy is the best!

bill
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 06:21 PM
Give him a break, Bill, so's he can finish fitting the set of 32" barrels to my Sterly Ejector!!

SRH
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 07:12 PM
If it is not the original trigger there is always the possibility that it has not been properly fitted. It is very easy to "sorta" fit the thing well enough that it functions but it may well not latch properly at all. It has been made clear to me on several occasions that many people have no conception of what constitutes "fitting".

If it is the original trigger I'd suggest cleaning the crusty thing before getting involved with a 'smith. It has been made clear to me on several occasions that many people have no conception of what constitutes "cleaning" either. Or for that matter how to remove and replace a Perazzi trigger group.
Posted By: DLA Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/05/17 09:56 PM
Thank you for the replies. I will take another look at the gun later this week with your comments/suggestions in mind.

From yesterday's inspection I am sure that the trigger group is not dirty.

It takes a great deal of pressure to move the safety slide forward to remove the trigger group. Far more pressure than I can apply with just my thumb.

When I install the trigger group I do to hear/feel the lock engage.

As I mentioned this gun was purchased used so I do not know if this is the original trigger group.

Thanks again for the replies.

Dennis
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/06/17 03:34 PM
All Perazzi triggers have the gun serial# or a portion of it stamped on the inside in front of the hammers.

If moving the safety is difficult with the trigger removed you might consider lubing the mechanism - a drop of oil on the ends of the lever connecting the safety and the locking cone may go a long way to improving the function.
Posted By: Jim Pettengill Re: Perazzi Detachable Trigger - 11/06/17 04:30 PM
The pin that engages the hole in the back of the trigger unit is spring loaded. If that spring gets weak the pin can vibrate out of the hole and the trigger unit can come loose. Yon can buy the spring from Don Rackley, Giacomo Sporting, or other Perazzi dealers. It's easy to change but easy to screw up too.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com