doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunmaker First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 05:50 AM
]

Just picked up this 12bore J. Purdey bar-in-wood gun from 1881. Not pictured is the set of 30" nitro proofed steel barrels. With the right low pressure loads this old girl is still relevant today and I look forward to taking some ducks with it this season before I do a restoration on it. A beautiful gun built during a time when hand tools were the machine of necessity.

I much enjoyed last seasons hunt with my 1890's WW Greener 12 bore. With RST low pressure #5 bismuth loads no fowl inside 35yds is lost.

Posted By: SXS 40 Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 05:59 AM
Congrats, on the Purdey acquisition. Auction or private sale? Nice wood.

Enjoy
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 12:54 PM
Nice looking bar in wood. It has the top lever as well. I’ve been using the 3/4oz RST in 2 1/2 in. At 4400psi in my Boss underlever. Do you plan to use their Bismuth loads in the Purdey as well?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 01:05 PM
I always did love that W. W. Greener of yours but that is a beautiful Purdey!!!
Posted By: damascus Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 04:51 PM
When Purdey designed these Bar in wood guns I am sure they had no idea that these beautiful old guns would still be in use with those sleek lines and so wantable a hundred plus years later.
My thumb leaver version is some twenty years older 1860s with Nitro proof Damascus barrels.

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 05:54 PM
A couple of nice Purdeys indeed!
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 06:31 PM
I read somewhere that God himself shoots a pair of hammer Purdeys!
Karl
Posted By: gunmaker Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: SXS 40
Congrats, on the Purdey acquisition. Auction or private sale? Nice wood.

Enjoy

This was a private deal.

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Nice looking bar in wood. It has the top lever as well. I’ve been using the 3/4oz RST in 2 1/2 in. At 4400psi in my Boss underlever. Do you plan to use their Bismuth loads in the Purdey as well?

I intend to shoot the Bismuth, not often, but certainly a box or two a year. They claim their loads are around 6500psi. This gun will see mostly low pressure loads at the range.

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I always did love that W. W. Greener of yours but that is a beautiful Purdey!!!

I'll have the Greener on the market soon. I had to relay the ribs and forend hanger, all that's left is Browning.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: damascus
When Purdey designed these Bar in wood guns I am sure they had no idea that these beautiful old guns would still be in use with those sleek lines and so wantable a hundred plus years later.
My thumb leaver version is some twenty years older 1860s with Nitro proof Damascus barrels.

That's a stunning example! Restock?
Posted By: gunmaker Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/02/17 11:44 PM
Having this Purdey gives me a great excuse to do something stupid like copy its dimensions and make a single shot bar in wood rifle...
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 12:02 AM
After seeing pics of one in Cyril Adams book many years ago I always thought these bar in wood guns were pinnacle of gunmaker's art. They were made during Golden Age when Great Britain had a Raj and was at pinnacle of it's power.
Posted By: JBLondon Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 12:51 AM
Now that is a very nice hammergun!
My own first Purdey is a percussion 14 gauge. "The book" describes sent out for sale on Dec. 1, 1844. A friend suggested I should contact Purdey to let them know the gun is still in existance. They responded with:
Dear Mr. Butler

Thank you for your email. We are able to provide the date and original specification of your shotgun, together with the name of the original owner. This is issued as a certificate, at a cost of £50 for the details, and £75 for a certificate which includes a photograph of the original entry. Should you wish to proceed, please let me know a number we can call you on, and we can take payment over the phone. The certificate will be emailed within 7-10 working days after payment.

If you would be interested in joining our Purdey Owner’s Club, which run a variety of events and promotions throughout the year, as well as a complimentary licence renewal reminder service, please click on the link below:

https://www.purdey.com/owner-registration

My question is - is investing in that provenance worth pursuing?
Here's the gun. Has obviously been redone along with the case but is very nice just the same.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 03:01 AM
I wouldn't hesitate for a Purdey muzzleloader. That's money well spent.

Is that the original shot bag pictured or a replacement?
Posted By: damascus Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 08:52 AM
Gunmaker the gun was restocked in 1970. The gun was in so poor condition that it was scraped and to be sold as a wall hanger. But the barrels where still within proof limits so as a callow young man I purchased it and over about seven years had it restored. At the time Purdey where not too interested in a restock and suggested an outworker they used working in Price Street situated the Birmingham gun quarter. This was the last stocking job he did well he was in his seventies, though he did say he enjoyed the opportunity to retire after working on such a fine gun, though he did want cash in his hand on completion. For a bar in wood the restocking is perfect as good as the day the gun left the Victorian stockers bench. He was a true craftsman and for the life of me I cant remember the old gentleman's name. too much water has flowed under the bridge now.
Posted By: JBLondon Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I wouldn't hesitate for a Purdey muzzleloader. That's money well spent.

Is that the original shot bag pictured or a replacement?

Thanks for the advice. Since so few of the old guns have records available it makes sense to follow up on their offer.
wrt shot bag - well, it is definitely vintage but whether original to the gun I guess requires some research. The ebony ramrod I would say is original.
Heading out tomorrow for two weeks off-the-grid no-internet whitetail and grouse hunting but perhaps on return will start a thread about interesting accoutrements found in a couple of my cased purchases.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/03/17 11:06 PM
Just knowing its history by documentation as opposed to hearsay justifies the cost. Especially a Purdey built in 1844 as it could have some history!!!

A lot of us here get Colt and Winchester Letters, I have one for my Second Generation Colt, as they played such a big part in our country's history whereas a Purdey, who knows where in the world that thing ended up.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/04/17 01:01 AM
I researched an 1861 Boss pin gun conversion gun I once owned, beginning with a copy of the original order page. The results ended up being a trip through British aristocracy with royal connections, Harewood House, and Ripon Cathedral. Well worth the investigation...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: First Purdey Acquisition - 11/04/17 05:41 AM
A great gun as always! I really hope to read the story on it as well as see it get it's game
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com