doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Before and after gun case pics - 10/29/17 08:54 PM
Awhile back I was about to take some "after" pics to post on another thread asking about leather care products for gun cases. I was sidetracked for a few days by a rude interruption, a bike wreck. I survived it by the grace of God, and am recovering speedily from road rash and associated sutures, swelling and bruising. Got out just now and took a few more pics to make good on my word.

I had acquired two pretty nice old LOM case last spring and sent them to Kevin McCormack for some "rejuvie". It included leather refreshing, restitching caps, replacing buckle straps, etc. He used Lexol and Blackrock Leather 'N Rich products.

The 30" case is older and houses my 30" AE 16 ga Fox.

Before

After

New strap on 30"

32" case in which resides 32" HE Fox

Before

After

New strap on 32"

Photos courtesy Photobucket (we'll ride this horse as long as she holds out)

Best, SRH
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/29/17 09:08 PM
Stan Kevin did a great job on both cases and the HE is still looking good. Bobby
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 02:42 AM
Looks great! I need mine prettied up too
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 03:51 AM
He did a great job. Cleaned it up but left the character.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 10:28 AM
Cases look good, Stan. Hope you are back on the bike, soon.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eeb Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 12:02 PM
Kevin has done very work for me. He can fix the toe of the case nicely, which seems to be a wear point for those old cases.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Cases look good, Stan. Hope you are back on the bike, soon.

Best,
Ted

Thanks so much for the best wishes, Ted. But, I'm not going to ride anymore. Had my fill of that. One second later, one second, and I'd have gone headlong into the side of that semi, and it would've been a closed casket funeral. I may go back to my teen years a different way. Got my eyes on a '55 chevy 210 like I fixed up when I was 17.

I wanna kill a limit of doves on my 100th birthday and riding road bikes ain't the most beneficial way for me to get there. wink

SRH
Posted By: lagopus Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 04:34 PM
In England motor cyclists are known as 'organ donors'. Wouldn't catch me on one. And hopes for a speedy recovery. Did a good job on the case. Leg of Mutton cases are not easy to work with. Lagopus.....
Posted By: GLS Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 04:39 PM
My b-in-law was an ER doctor earlier in his career. Motorcycles were known in the trade as "donorcycles". Gil
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 04:52 PM
A hundred plus on a bike is an experience you can't not imagine unless you done it. It's not like a hundred plus in a car. But that's a young and dumb thing to do. I think the reason states have helmet laws is to keep your brain functioning long enough to get to a hospital for organ donation

Stan, I wish you good luck on your goal of hundred. From my fathers example I know the most important lifestyle decision is to never stop working. You can cut back but he was still 40+ hours a week until his early 90's. Still walks a mile and a half to three miles a day. In rain or snow and ice he cuts back to the mile and a half. He was on his roof Saturday cleaning off sticks and leaves. Those boys who grew up on the Depression are hard working fellows. I admire those men. No snowflakes in that group or if there were any they were gone by 1940.
Posted By: Cary Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 07:07 PM
Stan, Stan,Stan! How many times I gotta told ya! When you're doing a hundred, stop pedaling when you're on gravel!

Get better my friend. While I'm in my room talking to the Lord about Miller I'll ask if He can extend his Grace to one more.

Prayers coming.

Cary
Posted By: Mills Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 08:07 PM
Glad to hear you are ok, Stan. That is scary. Hope you are around for years to come.
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 08:44 PM
Stan,

That case looks strangely familiar. I'll bet it was worth a few Briley chokes? (Which I am happily using.)

Glad to hear you are fine. I lost my best buddy on a motorcycle. I still love motorcycles. All of mine are off-road dirt bikes.

Joe
Posted By: craigd Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/30/17 11:55 PM
Glad you can step back from a close call. Whew, what case, keep getting better.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/31/17 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the best wishes. Lots of prayers have me mending very well.

A "semi-" load of peanuts shot out into the road just ahead of me without stopping to even look and I had to evade a collision with it by swerving into the left lane. That put me on an angling course to go down into the other ditch at 50 mph, and I knew I couldn't handle that either so I tried to correct back to the right. 600 lb. road bikes don't maneuver like dirt bikes and I lost it and went down on the left side. Bad road rash on left forearm required 8 or 9 stitches, some more on the left knuckles required a few more, badly swollen and bruised left knee, lower leg and foot, and some cracked or badly bruised left side ribs. But, I drove a tractor and combined peanuts the very next afternoon.

I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I sure ain't the prettiest, but I must still be pretty tough at 66. I had a great VA Doc and ex-Navy male nurse in the ER. They get lots of credit. Lots to be thankful for, not the least of which is all my great friends on here.

Here's to light frosts and big coveys, SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/31/17 12:53 AM
Stan,
For some strange reason, I thought you wreaked your bicycle...

I had my motorcycling days, enjoyed it all, rode a 1995 GSXR 750 to both coasts, and an 1991 FJ1200 numerous times to California to participate in Keith Code's classes, but, when I became a father, the bikes went.

If I tried to ride a 'Gixer anywhere out of state today, I'd need a chiropractor to get me off of it when I came to a stop. You can rip massive wheelies at 90mph on a 'Gixer and approach 200mph. I never rode without full leathers, helmet, boots and gloves.
I miss it. But I keep the Olds around for ice cream runs with the boy. We have a blast.

Hope the 210 keeps you out of motorcycle mischief. ERs, life support, intensive care, transfusions, level three trauma centers, bone infections and what-not are hard on us old guys.

That said, I spend a lot of time on my bicycles.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/31/17 01:10 AM
If it ain't got at least four wheels, I look the other way now. Found a t-shirt I think I may buy tho', just for laughs. Says on the back ..............

"Sons With Arthritis"

"Ibuprofen Chapter"

............with a skull and two crossed pistons.

I can relate to the ibuprofen part ............. 600 mg every 6 hrs. has worked wonders for me for the last 10 days.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Before and after gun case pics - 10/31/17 01:22 AM
Here's a couple more pics of the cases. this first one is the buckle on the 30" case. It has the original "skeleton" key which locks the buckle in such a way that the strap cannot be unhooked. Pretty cool for the key to have remained with the case all these years, I think.

And, another view of the 32" case, and the richness of the leather after Kevin did his reviving.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com