doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: arrieta2 Charlton Hall Auction - 10/20/17 08:42 PM
Charlton Hall Auction. Saw a couple of things that peeked my personal interest. Some nice items. My interested changed when I saw a 25% buyers fee. I think that is the highest I have seen.

I am out

John Boyd
Posted By: skeettx Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/20/17 08:55 PM
PLUS could get as high as 29% if you use a credit card

A buyer's premium of 20% of the successful bid price will be added to each lot thereto and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price of each lot. Bidding through Invaluable and Invaluable's services carries an additional 5% buyer's premium. Credit card payment will include an additional 4% surcharge on invoice total.

http://www.charltonhallauctions.com/cond_of_sales.asp
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/21/17 12:31 AM
Everybody pays the same premium. What high premiums does to me is depress the final bids if you have a working brain. If the gun is worth 3,000 to me and it cost 25% to bid I just lower my max bid so the total is 3,000 or less. If I can't get the gun for my price I don't care to over pay just as you don't care to over pay. The seller looses because more bidders drop out before the feeding frenzy starts.
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/21/17 12:57 AM
I pretty much just avoid auction houses completely for that reason. Gunbroker and Gunsinternational is where I shop since the price I see is the price I pay.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/21/17 04:45 PM
The seller takes the hit. Of course, many sellers are dead and don't care. Just bid what you want to pay, minus all the upcharges, and you may be surprised and get your item.
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/23/17 09:21 PM
George Lander gave me a catalog at the Fall Southern this weekend.

The photos and descriptions added nothing to the details of the guns that could not be gleaned by looking closely at the Internet photos.

When looking through the details of bidding in the disclosure section of the catalog that I found any bids less than 50% of the minimum estimate will not be accepted.

In my experiences, auctioneers who got no interest in a lot would open the bidding to the floor just to start some bidding. If the bidding stops lower an estimate level, the auctioneer can always say, reserve not met and move on.

It seems an odd rule to me.

Joe
Posted By: eightbore Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/24/17 01:38 PM
I am not impressed with the catalog or the internet descriptions and pictures. George picked this house because of its location and his previous dealing with them.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/25/17 10:22 PM
I wish my friend, George Lander, luck in selling part of his collection. Tomorrow is the auction, Thursday, October 26.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/26/17 01:10 AM
I think Charlton Hall leans more toward antiques, jewerly and antiques.

John Boyd
Posted By: bushveld Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/26/17 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I think Charlton Hall leans more toward antiques, jewerly and antiques.

John Boyd

John; My observation on the one time I went down to the auction there in 2007 and in later catalogs I have received, is that they are an excellent house for antiques and art and are widely admired. However, their knowledge and inventory of firearms is underwhelming. They appear to covet the large trade in the firearms auctions business, but have not the knowledge and staff to accomplish the task. If they would spend time, commitment, capital and hire expertise and stay with the business for a while they could likely build a good following in the gun trade. Atlanta or Charlotte would likely be a better venue for such an endeavor. But they are where they are. Having said that, I believe they are fine people to do business with in their field of expertise and have a large following. I do not understand how there is room for another top quality auction house to take a significant amount of business away from the other 2-3 auction houses that have most of the American gun trade. But there is a large blanks in this world that I do not understand. There is one thing I do understand and that is the gun show business for people in the trade like you and for collectors is a thing of the past and has been taken over by the "biltong" and the "camo" sellers.
Posted By: Mills Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/26/17 01:39 PM
Well, I wish George the best of luck with his auction. The 14 gauge looks interesting, not as a shooter, but a conversation piece
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/26/17 05:53 PM
I was watching the auction today and although I am a double rifle guy and don't really follow the value of SXS shotguns, almost all of the guns went for less than the minimum estimate, some quite a bit below. I wonder if a lot of them didn't make a reserve.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/26/17 09:45 PM
Seems that a lot of them didn't make the reserve, reasonable or not. At least George got loose of some of them.
Posted By: George L. Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 06:21 PM
Needless to say I was disappointed with the auction results. I thought that the catalogue was great. The pictures much improved over auctions past. The descriptions were at least adequate. The problem was that the buyers just were not there or if they were they were not bidding. The guns that did sell for the most part were well below the low estimate. I believe that Charlton Hall did everything that they could to make it a successful sale. It just did not happen. I'll have to back up & punt I guess and try to figure out what to do next.

My primary reason for selling is now gone. My beautiful daughter, Lisha, went home this past Wednesday to be with Our Lord and her mother, Claudia. She is now in no more pain & suffering. She is Home with God and His Angels.

Thanks to all of you who helped me through this trying time.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 06:55 PM
George, so sorry for your loss. Comfort in knowing her suffering is over and that she is in a far better place waiting to see you in good time is small comfort but a real one.
Posted By: keith Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 07:09 PM
My condolences to you on the loss of your daughter George.
Posted By: Cary Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 07:17 PM
George, I can't begin to tell you how deeply I feel your pain. The loss of any child is terrible but there's something so very special about a daughter. Solace can be found in the knowledge she's with her mother and in the hands of our Lord. You'll be reunited when you take the trip yourself.

God bless you and your family in this time off grief.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 07:22 PM
So sorry to hear this news, George. Please accept my condolences.
Posted By: LGF Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 09:08 PM
George - as the father of daughters, I cannot imagine what you are going through. My thoughts are with you.
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 09:12 PM
I'm sorry for your loss George, I lost someone I loved 2 months ago so can somewhat understand your loss. It is a comfort knowing they are where they wanted to be- promoted to Glory
Posted By: skeettx Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 09:31 PM
George, I will continue to pray for the family
My heart is sad with this news,
Mike
Posted By: gil russell Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 09:55 PM
George, I join the others in offering my deepest sympathy for your loss. May she rest in peace. Gil
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 10:16 PM
George prayers sent. Bobby
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 10:31 PM
George, I am sorry that your guns didn't bring you more of what you had hoped for, but even sorrier to hear of the loss of your daughter. It's another harsh reminder that anytime we place our trust and hope in the things of this world we can be sorely let down. He, alone, will never let us down. The blessed hope we have is that you can all be reunited, as can we all who place our trust in Him.

Grandaddy lost a son very young, and I remember him saying in his grief that no parent should live long enough to bury his children. But, God is in control and has His plans for us. Trust in Him. You're in my prayers, brother.

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/28/17 10:39 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss, George.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 12:12 AM
Everyone who is born has to die. Some die at childhood some of old age it is our destiny. If it is happiness we have to see it if it it sorrow we have to see it. Happiness & sorrow are like brothers.
Posted By: keith Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Everyone who is born has to die. Some die at childhood some of old age it is our destiny. If it is happiness we have to see it if it it sorrow we have to see it. Happiness & sorrow are like brothers.

Unbelievable. A man has lost his beloved daughter to a terrible illness at a young age, and you post this heartless reply. I think we're getting a clearer and most disturbing look at your psyche Jagermeister.
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 01:11 AM
George, our prayers go with you.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 01:19 AM
George;
So very sorry for your loss. As most here I believe now know I am at present going through Chemo for NH Lymphoma, but I am still able to feel another's loss, perhaps at this moment even more so than I could have before.
Miller/TN
Posted By: ed good Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 11:48 AM
happiness and sorrow are like brothers...if we are lucky in life, we mostly experience the presence of our happy brother...however, the sad brother does come around from time to time...it is the nature of things...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 12:27 PM
Very sorry for your loss, George. I can't imagine the grief that comes from losing a child.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 10/29/17 04:14 PM
Too tough a loss to relate to but please accept my condolences...Geo
Posted By: George L. Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 11/01/17 03:11 AM
Thanks to almost all who replied to my post. It is the toughest trial of my life even a bit more than losing my beloved wife Claudia almost five years ago. I guess that time will deaden the pain but it will never go away. I am only thankful that I had both of them for over 50 years. In that I feel lucky.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 11/01/17 04:41 AM
Sorry to hear bud. Praying for ya. My house is open if you would like to get away for a south Ga quail hunt, dove hunt or turkey hunt. We have some really great double gun guys in the area to swap stories with as well. However if a dove lands on a power line it belongs to Geo:) I'm only good as a retriever
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Charlton Hall Auction - 11/02/17 12:00 AM
George, so sorry. No father should outlive his children. But for sure she's in a better place. Be strong and we are with you. Gene
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com