doublegunshop.com - home
The company is called Skinner Sights LLC. I'm contemplating buying one for my old Model 70 Winchester. Any comments good or bad?

I include link for your convenience...

Thanks.
I shoot a great deal with open and aperture receiver sights on several older Mauser and early Model 70's

I have installed one of these on a friend's Model 70 in .375 H&H.
The quality and adjustability is Good.....

Perhaps more rugged than the vintage Lyman 48 and Redfield sights I have many of , but the Skinner is not adjusted in precise 1/4 MOA clicks like the older sights , but is very functional.
Fits in existing holes, wonderful.
Skinner has an excellent reputation. I have one and am considering mounting it on a turkey shotgun. Gil
They look like quality sights. I have an ancient Williams FP on my Winchester 71. Replaced the front bead with a Fire Sight and that definitely helped in low light conditions.
Does your Model 70 have two barrels Jagermeister? If not, then this subject is totally off-topic for this forum.

We all know you don't own any double guns, and that you do a lot of tire kicking... putting cheap guns on layaway, and then backing out of the deal. Why would any sane person think you would really purchase an aperture sight and then pay for installation? And when your push feed post-64 Model 70 magically turned into a pre-64 Model 70, did the scope mounting screw holes in the receiver also close up? Here's a link to a thread you'd probably like us to forget:

Jagermeister's Gun Buying Fantasy
Correct site, just wrong location
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&page=1
BUT we are all gentle around here and will not take the joy out of the topic, right? smile
My Model 70 had aperture sights but I removed the rear sight and installed a Weaver K-3 scope.
Mike
Correct. This is the double gun forum. There is another forum on this site that is more appropriate for questions pertaining to rifles. Speaking of taking joy out of the topic, nothing does a better job of that than trolling and supporting anti-2nd Amendment rhetoric and anti-gun politicians on a gun related forum. That seems to be a high priority for Jagermeister, a guy who doesn't own even one lousy double gun, and who posts totally contradictory information concerning the guns he actually may or may not really own. But here on the internet, you can pretend to be anything you wish. One can even pretend to be a gun guy, and some will fall for whatever B.S. you post, all in the name of faux civility. smile
I like the look of these receiver sights. I think I will order one for my Ruger #1 .45-70. I can then take the Leupold M8-3X that is on it now and put it on the .458 SOCOM, for daytime use.

Thanks for the link, and for the recommendations.

SRH
Funny my first instinct when seeing the subject was why here?

Concur with the view the post does not belong on this area of the forum.

Jaegermeister, surely you can find a more appropriate place on another site?

If I wanted to take joy in bolt action rifles, I would find it elsewhere.
Sorry I responded to the chaps question, don't post here much, Just hanging around to see how everyone's Dove ( or grouse etc ) opener went.....

I simply answered the question, really did not look at the poster's name or history.....I simply replied with my personal experience with the mentioned product...
I can delete the entire response if it is inappropriate....Perhaps the chap can post same question on say? "Accurate Reloading" or "24 hour campfire " sites...
So much for being helpful.....
I think I'll retire for the evening, I have shooting to do in the morn......Oh yeah, there will be an open sighted rifle on the seat next to me on the drive to the field.....I can even scrounge around and find a proper Double rifle to use if it is more tasteful.....
jager: thank you for info re these new rifle sites...you post here in a spirit of good will...unlike some others who post here in a spirit of ill will...
Here's a buddy's CZ Bobwhite 28 gauge tricked out for turkeys with the Skinner peep on the rib. The gun is a super light weight turkey killer with 1.5 oz. of tungsten super shot. I have considered doing the same, but I already have too many dedicated turkey guns. I would need a golf bag and cart to carry all of my turkey guns into the woods. Gil

You say that like it would be a bad thing Gil wink
No carts allowed where I hunt. wink Gil
Originally Posted By: ed good
jager: thank you for info re these new rifle sites...you post here in a spirit of good will...unlike some others who post here in a spirit of ill will...

That's very interesting Ed. Would you care to comment on the "spirit of good will" that was responsible for trolling crap like this right here on a shotgun enthusiasts' forum...

Ed Good, post # 407727

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Or how about this little nugget of anti-gun wisdom which demonstrated the same "spirit of good will" that you used to disrupt and destroy Dave Weber's "Second Amendment Informational' thread that used to be pinned to the top of the Main Doublegun Forum ...

if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

Maybe you ought to give your anti-gun troll pal Jagermeister a good deal on one of your torched doubles so he could actually have some reason to post here. Or are you afraid he'd just renege on the deal after stealing some internal parts?
Thank you to all that provided feedback about the company and the product which seems well worth the money. I'm going to order rear sight, extra large aperture, rear sight block, and .550 high front blade to file down as needed for poi at 100m.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com