doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jim Kobe Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/16/17 06:44 PM
I have an FN SxS 16 ga in the shop with a broken firing pin. The pin is integral to the hammer and it is the left one, Any help on where to find one?

Emails please if not too much trouble: Jkob60@msn.com

Thanks for looking

Jim
Posted By: GGress Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/16/17 10:44 PM
Did your email change?

Greg
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/17/17 01:38 AM
Might be fixable. Some years ago I had the same thing happen to a nice Birmy gun and Jack Rowe sent the hammer to a good tig welder who added new material and Jack filed it to shape. Lots of shots since then and working fine. Do everything possible to repair the broken hammer. Making a new one and getting it properly adjusted is difficult.
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/17/17 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: GGress
Did your email change?

Greg

fat fingered it
Posted By: gunman Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/17/17 06:14 PM
Any competent gunsmith should be able to sort that out in a couple of hours. Not worth going to the trouble of trying to get a replacement and all the hassle of fitting and timing .
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/17/17 09:36 PM
Gunman, what is your preferred method to repair A hammer with an integral striker? As I mentioned above Jack Rowe had mine welded up and refit. I've wondered if cutting the top part of the hammer off and dovetailing in a new piece might not work well.
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/18/17 12:53 PM
I fixed it by drilling the hammer and making an oversize pin to fit the hole, soldered it in place an worked it down to fit free. Fairly simple once I got it started.
Posted By: gunman Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/20/17 02:59 AM
Joe , Jim has basically said what I would do in the circumstances .I have seen this used as a production method all be it the striker was riveted in place no doubt before heat treatment .
Welding is OK if you have the right material and fine for just increasing the nose length to compensate for wear ,if you are a good enough welder although with the advent of lazer welding this is now a "no problem job"
Posted By: Salopian Re: Hammer/firing pin needed - 07/20/17 07:03 AM
I used to have a friend (sadly passed on) who was a WC Scott 'smith .
He used to repair integral hammer/strikers by drilling and fitting a cut off galvanized roofing nail .
Laughing , with a wink he said " Don't let on, I tell them it's special hard steel , practically unobtainable , but I've got a bit left for special customers."
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com