doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Luistc Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 09:00 AM
I need your help identifying the Belgian shotgun producer.
I post below some photos that may help.
I have the following main information:

1- In the barrel entitled to "F. Jacquemin Arq ?? "has more lyrics that I can not read because they are almost erased ...
2- In the left barrel the recording "92 Rue Cathédrale Liege" - four numbers below was the producer of shotguns "Masquelier Frères" ...
3- Belgian Proof marks
4- Number N.702
5- Caliber 12
6- "LJ" punch on scale
7- In the barrel below: JNO. HY. ANDREW & Cª LTD. TOLEDO STEEL WORKS SHEFFIELD N
8- On one of the pillars of barrel "JABE"
9- 68 cm of barrel

smile
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 10:29 AM
Maybe this helps: http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20ma/a%20masquelier%20fr.htm
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 10:50 AM
Yeah, I don't recognize Arquebusier F. Jacquemin 92 Rue Cathédrale Liége right off and I think it odd using the term Arquebusier instead of Armurier, which considering the Liége mechanics. Maybe the mechanic was a transplant from France? He would have been all but next door neighbours to E. Masquelier à 88 Rue Cathédrale Liége. So the name Masquelier Frères puts it post 1911??? What are the tube makers initals?

Wonder what the N.702 is on the water-table & flats? Maybe a subcontractor N?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Luistc Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 11:04 AM
I have no more information or proof marks. All I have is the pictures and I hope, with the help of the experts, we can come to a conclusion about this unknown artisan.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 11:43 AM
Where might it be located? If it is in Spain or was imported thru Spain would that account for the stamp of the JABE in a rhombus? Or is that stamp not the same as the Spanish one?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 11:48 AM
The D = 70/20.7 mm is marking for a 2 3/4" chamber, 70mm (2.756") being the length & 20.7mm (.815") being the diameter of the chamber just ahead of the rim seat.. The little rampant lion over PV shows smokeless powder proof. It would however have been proofed for CIP standards, NOT US SAAMI spec loads.
Posted By: Luistc Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 11:49 AM
Yes I bought this shotgun in Spain and the stamp of the JABE may have been marked when some adjustment that its owner had made. Perhaps?

Regards,
Luis
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 11:58 AM
I'm not sure that the mark denotes an alteration, but maybe just an importer's stamp. I don't see any Spanish proofmarks, or have I overlooked them?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Luistc Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 12:42 PM
Do not have any Spanish proof marks.
Maybe just an importer's stamp.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 01:41 PM
The 70mm chambers suggest the gun was made after WWI BUT there is no lettre annale, so prior to 1921.

After the Belgian proof house revisions of 1924, a Certificat d’epreuve could be issued and specified:
“The pressure developed, measured by crusher type device, lower or equal to 600 kg per square centimeter for sizes 16, l2, 10, 8 & 4; 670 kg per square inch for sizes 20, 24 and smaller.”
600 kg/cm2 = 8534 psi maximum SERVICE pressure;
670 kg/cm2 = 9530 psi maximum SERVICE pressure
+ 10 - 14% by piezoelectric transducer measurement
12g was PROVED at 900 kg/cm2 = 12,801 psi
Modern transducer numbers would be about 14,000 psi

JNO. HY. ANDREW & CO. LTD. TOLEDO STEEL WORKS SHEFFIELD appears on high grade between the wars doubles of several Liege makers; including Verney-Carron, Jules Bury, Nicolas Lajot, L. Christophe & F. Thonon
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20t%20w/a%20thonon%20fernand%20gb.htm
It is unclear if the tubes were manufactured in Liege or England.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 01:45 PM
Jean Falla typically was the tube maker for tubes w/ the John Henry Andrew & Co. stamp. He and other tube makers may have imported bar stock, but I think the probability is very low that the steel was sourced from Sheffield. Moreover, there was more than likely a sanctioned facility in Belgium that utilized the Jno. Hy. Andrew & Co. steel recipe.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Luistc Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 02:34 PM
The stamp "LJ" indicated in the photo what it should mean? Was there any merchant or manufacturer at the time with this proof mark?

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 02:39 PM
PeteM's list does not unfortunately have a 'LJ'. It does have a 'JL' for Jonlet H and Louet M
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 02:40 PM
I have a rather nice no name 1926 Belgian SLE with the Toledo works Sheffield bbls...its lovely , beaded fences, purdey 3rd hidden lock up,bushed strikers, hinged trigger.
Abe Chaber looked it over for me n found the Britte mark on the inside of the locks while cleaning it up
Most all of the Guns I've seen that have the H Y Andrews Toledo bbls have been very nice guns....
cheers
franc
Posted By: Luistc Re: Who is this Belgian artisan? - 05/13/17 02:53 PM
Yes it is a quality shotgun and with good materials!
But it's strange that we can not identify your producer or the FJ mark that should mean "F. Jacquemin ...?" established in: 92 Rue Cathédrale Liege
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com