doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: R.C. What do we have here? - 05/10/17 10:20 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-library/firearms-sale-rack-gun-library%7C/pc/103792680/c/103800780/italian-manufacture-20-gauge/2220266.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffirearms-sale-rack-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1103077%2FNo-200%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103800780%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D40

Very unusual lockup. Not a typical guild grade Italian copy, unless it's misidentified. Anything in those markings look familiar?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: What do we have here? - 05/10/17 11:04 PM
One of the parts kits that was going to be an ICD?

Note the mechanical similarity to this:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/910908475/Ithaca-NID-Reproduction-20ga-GRADE-4E-AS-NEW-NIC.htm

And the serial number.
Posted By: cpa Re: What do we have here? - 05/10/17 11:14 PM
I believe you're correct. I have seen some of the Mario Beschi ICD kits that were imported by Thad Scott, a Mississippi dealer. He also imported from Armi San Marco, but I don't believe that is the manufacturer of the shotgun you found on Cabela's.
Posted By: R.C. Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 12:29 AM
It looks like a substantial if not perfect match. I suppose it might make a decent field gun, at the right price.

Thanks for your input. I thought that profile looked familiar, just couldn't quite place it.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 02:57 AM
I've seen this gun. It is not as good looking in person as it is in the photos. It would have to be much cheaper before I'd give it a second thought. Fit and finish was not good. It did shine a lot.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 11:05 AM
Shows how little the canelas guys know guns to not mention ICD at all in the listing.

Uhhhh... here we have a shotgun, made by someone. 20g. Give us $3k for it. You will like it.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 02:31 PM
This is not a ICD it is a gun assembled from rejected part I think. Again the fit and finish is not that good. The engraving was nice but polishing a turd does not take away the smell. This is a gun which should be in the upper teens to maybe 2K. Barrels were not well struck and the fit was Nitro Special level for the most part.
Posted By: jlb Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 02:41 PM
KY Jon

I have looked at the photos and I am trying to learn how one evaluates the fit and finish from photos. I note you indicated that the barrels were not well struck; can we see that from the photos?

Thanks

J Born
Posted By: KY Jon Re: What do we have here? - 05/11/17 03:04 PM
Problems with photos is that you have to be at the exact right angle to see things. Sellers are more into shine than details. If you want to know about this gun do a little search about ICD and what happened to the part they rejected from suppliers. The later guns with Kreigjoff barrels are nicer in my experience. They got assembled and shipped over here. Decent as shooters they are not comparable to either the original Ithaca made guns or the later ICD guns.

The parts kit sold after ICD are even more hit or miss. Given all the rough parts a British trained gun smith might finish it to a high level but 99.999% of the rest gunsmiths in the US have zero chance. Hand fitting is a very long learning curve and we tend to use machines and looser tolerances because we can and it is a lot more cost effective.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com