doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CJF Origins of BLNE with London proofs on receiver - 05/08/17 09:43 PM
Does the presence of the London proof house definitive proof and crown over V proofs on a receiver's water table indicate British manufacture? I am looking at a boxlock with ZERO British proofs on the barrel flats, but the two referenced proofs on the receiver (so pre-1954 I believe). I was thinking re-barreled outside of the UK. Serials match on barrels and receiver.
CJF,

Joe Norcom here. Current President of the Carolina Vintagers (no one else wanted the job). I am in Charlotte, near South Park Mall on the south side of town.
I have a barrel wall thickness gauge and a bore gauge. I also have all the Nigel Brown books which could help you figure out what you have.
I'd be happy to measure your gun and try to figure out what it is.
Let me know by PM. Also let me know to look at my PMs (I don't check often).

Joe

PS Stan, where were you at the Southern? jn
Pictures would be most helpful
Mike
I should have mentioned that both receiver and barrels are also marked with three capital letter "S" within a diamond. I did not see this in my gun marks reference book. There is a long number also stamped on these surfaces that seems to signify Japanese origin, or at least a visit to Japan.
Originally Posted By: Joe in Charlotte
CJF,

Joe Norcom here. Current President of the Carolina Vintagers (no one else wanted the job). I am in Charlotte, near South Park Mall on the south side of town.
I have a barrel wall thickness gauge and a bore gauge. I also have all the Nigel Brown books which could help you figure out what you have.
I'd be happy to measure your gun and try to figure out what it is.
Let me know by PM. Also let me know to look at my PMs (I don't check often).

Joe

Hi Joe - I was evaluating this one...haven't bought it yet. But we should get together and measure the barrels on the 10ga William Ford I posted about a while back. That's the odd one that was made in the 1920s and fully engraved. A bit fancy for the marshes. Regards, Chris
After doing a bit more looking about here and there (mostly here), I'm guessing the gun in question (currently on auction) is Japanese. Likely pre-war but not definitely. It definitely has two real-looking English proofs on the action, but others have said these were copied by the Japanese. That I don't know. Pretty gun, which got me thinking in the first place.
Does it resemble any of the ones in this thread:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=356556&page=6

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Hi Raimey, Yes, it is very similar to the second scalloped boxlock in the thread you have linked. I will try to post a picture showing both the gun I am considering, and one from your thread (Patrickwall's second gun)
The picture below shows the gun I am looking at now (currently at auction) on top, and a Japanese shotgun attributed to Kasuga posted by patrickwall in this thread on Japanese shotguns: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=356556&page=6.

This is a 20 gauge with short chambers. Struggling to put a value on it. As a basic gun, it's more appealing to me than what Ugartechea sold in their lower price points, and I like the engraving more than the current Turkish offerings, but is this a $1500 gun?

[img:left][/img]

Following are additional pics from the auction.

Looks like an SkB sst ,nice looking double. Bobby
You might check w/ this company as seen in a thread:

Hamada & Son Ltd.

I find it difficult to believe that the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers would allow another proof facility to use the intertwined GP surmounted by a crown. So the only other possibility I see as it was sourced in the white & had passed thru the London proof facility.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com