doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: docbill Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/06/17 11:20 PM
Cyril Adams has a new book out titled as above. It seems to be only available from an English site but the U.S. copies will be mailed from Texas/Cyril to purchasers here. I had heard that he was working on this book some time back. It ought to be a very GOOD read.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 01:53 AM
I want one when it becomes available, Bill. Thanks for the heads up. If you get any info as to how to order them please let us know.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 01:55 AM
I picked up mine, autograhed, last weekend. It is a very nice book.
Posted By: eeb Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 01:59 AM
Is there a link for the book?
Posted By: Marshgrass Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 01:12 PM
I would also like to obtain a copy when available.
Posted By: Vic Venters Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 02:14 PM

"Live Pigeon Trap Shooting: Its History, Appurtenances, Descendants, and How to Do It"

Cyril S. Adams

ISBN -- 978-0-9928318-6-8

Published for Cyril by "The Sporting Library" (BPG Media, UK)

275 glossy pages with color, Six Chapters -- Chapter 1 History (from dawn of time to now; Chapter 2 Birds and Traps; Chapter 3 Guns; Chapter 4 Ammunition; Chapter 5 Notable Shots; Chapter 6 Descendants (detailing the rise of inanimate targest shooting; Chapter 7 How to Do It; Plus Appendix and Bibliography

Hundreds of rare photos and illustrations

Literally Cyril's lifetime work, exhaustively researched and clearly written. Those of you who know Cyril will see it reads like he talks -- straightforward, clear, and no BS. He can walk (and has) his talk. It is a much larger and more detailed book than his "Lock Stock & Barrel"

USA buyers will want to get it directly from Cyril.

Email him at: cyriladams38@gmail.com

$100 including shipping.

I am a bit biased because I was involved in its production but worth every penny if you are interested in live pigeon trap shooting and its considerable influence on the development of 'modern' sporting shotguns and ammunition.

European buyers contact BPG or Amazon.co.uk (tho not easy to find on Amazon.)
Posted By: eeb Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 05:29 PM
Thanks Vic.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/07/17 08:27 PM
Thanks from me, too, Vic.

SRH
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/12/17 04:22 PM
Seems to be a must have kinda thing to me.

I had always hoped that Bill Wise would put together a similar sort of book. He had a large collection of notes and memorabilia and was constantly in search of more. I have a couple of Italian pigeon shoot medals that he had dups of and gifted me. They are a treasure for the obvious reason.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/12/17 06:11 PM
Bill Wise is sadly missed. He was a great well of information.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/13/17 11:24 PM
My copy of "Live Pigeon Trap Shooting: Its History, Appurtenances, Descendants, and How to Do It" by Cyril Adams arrived today.

A great book! Mr. Adams provided prompt shipping too. Just an excellent read.

Thanks to Mr. Venters for his post on this thread.
Posted By: Vic Venters Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/17/17 11:45 AM
More on Cyril's book just posted here:

https://www.theexplora.com/

Charles: Bill Wise shared much of his pigeon-shooting ephemera with Cyril to help illustrate the book. And you will be pleased to see the P-Gun gets its due as the dominant gun of modern winners in the ring.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/17/17 01:36 PM
I am only getting started reading mine. The illustrations, and photos are great. For me it was well worth it, I'm impressed.
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/17/17 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark II
I am only getting started reading mine. The illustrations, and photos are great. For me it was well worth it, I'm impressed.

I'll second that. A very worthwhile addition to the library.
Jeremy
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/17/17 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Vic Venters
More on Cyril's book just posted here:

https://www.theexplora.com/

Charles: Bill Wise shared much of his pigeon-shooting ephemera with Cyril to help illustrate the book. And you will be pleased to see the P-Gun gets its due as the dominant gun of modern winners in the ring.

Thanks, Vic! It's great to know that all the time and effort that Bill put into that accumulation of goodies did not sit idle. He was a world class enthusiast of the ring for sure and I have to think he was thrilled to assist with such a book.

AFA Perazzis go, that's what they were designed to do - competition pure and simple.
thanks again for the note
Charlie
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/24/17 01:07 AM
Just received a copy of the book directly from Cyril - I stayed up way too late last night digging into it. Great content - really enjoying it.

Ken
Posted By: eightbore Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/24/17 01:59 PM
Bill Wise provided the illustrations for Rick Pratt's article, Vintage Pigeon Guns, in the March-April 2004 Shooting Sportsman. The photo session was held at Bill's house and was quite a day, for sure. The article pictures several of Bill's and my pigeon guns, as well as Cyril's great Grant 34" hammer gun. Bill's and my friend, Berle Cherney, the photographer, unfortunately was not credited. Bill Murphy
Posted By: bsteele Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 05/25/17 01:53 AM
I got a copy directly from Mr Adams as well and it is very much worth the price of admission.
Posted By: Ernie Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/01/17 01:24 AM
Got one, great read. Disappointed I got to the end. Great job Cyril. Thanks,,

Ernie
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/06/17 03:19 PM
Seeing Cyril several times a year for forty plus years , we converse on multiple subjects often. This book was the center of many of those discussions for the past few years.

I am so delighted to see the piece get into circulation, I know how Cyril has anguished and struggled to get it completed in spite of seemingly overwhelming odds ( not the least of which are health issues he has gamely fought to a stand off)

I was somewhat surprised to find myself quoted in the text...
An off the cuff comment I made in reply to a mutual friend now long departed.....

Great piece of work, and remarkably researched.....No easy task when ones subject is not so openly reported as other sports.....

I called Cyril to congratulate him on a job well done.....
He was gracious in his acceptance of it. Then in true researcher mode, he quickly asked "did you find any errors or discrepancies?" Ever the perfectionist,he said he wanted it RIGHT if there perhaps was a second printing.....

I mentioned the incorrect identification of a gentleman I knew in one photograph of European notables, and a bit of trivia regarding the description of the gun used by one of our American legends.....

He said he was making notes as we spoke......

A Wonderful read indeed.....There won't be another like it.......
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/06/17 04:50 PM

Great book, on a subject and time that would have been lost forever, for political reasons.

A historical treasure for those that shoot Helice today.

Thank you, Cyril for your dedication and hard work.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/06/17 04:52 PM
I'm even more glad my copy is on the way, now. Thanks for the byline, Paul. Looking forward to seeing it.

SRH
Posted By: Woody402 Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/07/17 01:00 AM
I have a copy on the way. Can't wait to read it!!!!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/07/17 01:31 PM
SXS40, it's not over yet. Cyril doesn't spend much time mentioning the many flyer shoots that are still going on all over the USA. The European shoots and clubs are the focus of his book, but he knows a lot about the U.S. shoots but apparently chose not to spend much ink on them.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/07/17 06:39 PM
He probably purposely did not get too deep into the American shoots as a courtesy to those who participate. Flyer shooters do not care for lots of publicity, and the shoot hosts certainly don't need the wrong people (read animal rights activists) getting their panties in a wad over a new book about the sport.

Wish my book would hurry up and get here. Cyril mailed it Monday, err, my bad ....... posted it, as he put it.

SRH
Posted By: Researcher Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/07/17 09:09 PM
I put the check in the mail today. I guess we need an update to "Blue Rock" aka Capt. A.W. Money's book Pigeon Shooting. A good time to post this photo of a shifty looking crew again --

Posted By: Buzz Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/10/17 12:56 AM
I received Cyril's book....outstanding. If you have been a live bird shooter or just have some interest, the book is a must. The most thorough account on live bird shooting ever.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/10/17 01:27 AM
Outstanding is right. Mine came yesterday, and there is no buyer's regret.

If anyone is considering it but wondering if it is worth the rather steep price ......... it is. It's worth every penny.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/13/17 11:18 AM
My!, I am enjoying this book. Maybe one has to have shot flyers and Helice to appreciate it as much as I have, so far. There are just so many interesting little tidbits in there that are so tasty. As an example, a brief comment on an early pigeon shooter, Capt. Horatio Ross (British) who, evidently being a fine field shot as well, on his 82nd birthday killed 82 grouse with 82 shots.

The research that went into authoring it must have been staggering. A best buy, IMO.

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Book-Live pigeon trap shooting - 06/14/17 01:03 PM
Researcher's picture is a classic. The subjects are author Ed Muderlak, collector and shooter Kevin McCormack, Bill Murphy, (eightbore), and renowned researcher Dave Noreen. The picture was taken at a midwinter flyer shoot in Maryland. Dave and Ed were guests of club members Kevin and Bill. Three Parker shooters and Fox shooter, Dave.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com