doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: treblig1958 Husqvarna???? - 05/03/17 11:21 PM
A nice light game gun slipped under the radar again selling for a fraction of what its worth. And somebody needs to get himself some better screwdrivers and stop using the ones he opens his paint cans with.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100839135

Who built the Husqvarna guns???

Posted By: ed good Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/03/17 11:34 PM
$975 sounds pretty good in this depressed, field grade, 12 ga, doublegun market...

see link to husqvarna:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna

and, some early 1900 era husqvarna brand guns were made in germany...
Posted By: oskar Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 12:49 AM
There are lots of Huskies out there, I hunt with a pair of Model 51's. 29" Barreled hammer guns and I have another with 20" and 29" barrels
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 01:55 AM
Oskar, any identifying manufacturer's marks or stamps?
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 02:17 AM
Husky made them. I have a couple of shotguns and a rifle by them. All good guns.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 02:41 AM
The best of the Husqvarnas are the 310 hammerless guns. They were expensive guns in their day. The 310 ASE cost as much as a DE-Grade Ansley H. Fox in the 1929 Stoeger catalog. One of the great things about Husky's is that we can often find the marks of the factory craftsman who worked on them --

My 310s, 1947 vintage 16-gauge front, 1918 vintage 12-gauge back --

The higher grade 310s were really nice. I'd love to find a nice LYX --

or one of these Pigeon Guns --

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 12:05 PM
Great information. I see the list of finishers but was the action and barrels made in the 'white' by someone else and sent to Husqvarna for finishing?

But, I do not see any proof marks from other countries.
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 12:21 PM
I can't speak directly to shotgun bits as my experience is more toward the single projectile arena, but I'll tell you what I *think* I know.

Husqvarna was known to start a model production by sourcing actions and complete firearms from another manufacturer. Early examples of 'their' 1894/96/98 Mausers (Husky Model 46, 46A, 146, etc.) can be found with German markings. The 1887 revolver was sourced for the first four years from Nagant in Belgium as a complete pistol. As time passed, they would bring a model 'in house', often under license; reference the Model 1907 pistol which is a near exact copy of the Browning 1903. Some models were built only in house such as the 1600-series rifles.

My expectation is the shotgun you mention was built in Sweden by Husky. I will full well admit that to be nothing more than a guess on my part and would willingly allow correction.
Posted By: gold40 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 12:35 PM
Simpsons Ltd. in Galesburg, Illinois (www.simpsonltd.com) imported hundreds of these Husqvarana SxS's a few years ago; both hammer and hammerless models. They sold the very good ones, but have 50-100 left that have blemishes or need repairs. Most are now priced about $300; most are 12 gauge.

I bought one, and have been very pleased with it. Very nice guns.

Most are choked FULL; I had my chokes opened locally to IC & MOD.

I was told (rumor ?) that in the Scandanavian counties, one must often "trade-in" an older gun to obtain a permit to buy a new one. According to that rumor, the Simpson guns were all trade-ins. Don't know if that is fact?

gold40
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/04/17 05:31 PM
Dave I own a LYX 16 gauge and it is an outstanding finest quality double. Bobby
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 09:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Hoot4570
I can't speak directly to shotgun bits as my experience is more toward the single projectile arena, but I'll tell you what I *think* I know.

Husqvarna was known to start a model production by sourcing actions and complete firearms from another manufacturer.

That's exactly why I started this thread.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 10:54 AM
Underrated guns IMO.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 12:23 PM
Greg, beautiful Husky.

But, it doesn't look like it has any German roots to me. Made completely in-house or sourced or, more importantly, no way to tell now.
Posted By: Mike Covington Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 02:00 PM
For Researcher. 12 ga 310 Lyx finished by Oscar Fredriksson.

Posted By: oskar Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure my 51's were built in house as they used Swedish steel(Sanvik) for the barrels and there are no German proof marks anywhere.

A little added info.

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/05/17 06:24 PM
I see your point Oskar. It just doesn't make sense to me though that they would outsource actions for their rifles but build a more complicated action, for a double barrel, in house.
Posted By: oskar Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/06/17 03:26 AM
They built break action shotguns for 50 years before they ever got around to a bolt-action repeating rifle. It looks like they used surplus 1894 Swedish carbine actions to start then went to FN 98 action and finally producing their own in the 1950's. Earlier they used Rem Rolling Blocks for rifle and produce some smaller versions on their own.
Posted By: mergus Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/06/17 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Gregdownunder
Underrated guns IMO.

Gregdownunder, THAT is one pretty gun....

Mergus
Posted By: Researcher Re: Husqvarna???? - 05/06/17 05:50 PM
They were the arms maker for the Swedish army for a couple hundred years, with sporting arms as their sideline. They made a lot of rolling blocks under license from E. Remington & Sons. After the King's approval of the arms Commission's report on May 8, 1867, Sweden bought 10,000 Remington rifles chambered for the Swedish 12.17mm rimfire cartridge, 20,000 breech systems to convert Swedish muskets to breechloaders, and Swedish Ordnance Officials were granded a license from Remington to manufacture rolling blocks in Sweden. Husqvarna was still offering rolling block shotguns in 1949, after the Model 310 double had been replaced with the Model 615.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com