doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jdickson397 Need help dating a New Baker Hammergun - 05/02/17 04:56 PM
I recently acquired a New Baker hammergun in pretty good condition but I do not know much about it or what year it was manufactured. The serial number is 8262.

Any help would be much appreciated.
W.H. Baker left Ithaca early 1887 and returned to Syracuse to work with his brother Dr. Ellis Baker at the Syracuse Forging Co., which soon became the Syracuse Forging & Gun Co. They manufactured a trigger-plate hammer gun designed by A.C. McFarland, Patent No. 370,966 called the "New Baker Gun."

After the factory in Syracuse burned in the summer of 1888, they moved to Batavia and late changed the name to the Baker Gun & Forging Co. Note the invoice above is dated Feb. 1889.

Courtesy of Don Hardin and Daryl Hallquist, the "New Baker" was manufactured 1889-1897; SNs 1 - 45,000. Yours would then be about the 2nd year of production.

Thanks so much Drew.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Need help dating a New Baker Hammergun - 05/02/17 10:25 PM
Thanks from me also. A friend of mine has one of these New Baker guns, which is currently in my possession sn 2473.
Left side of frame is marked "New Baker" with right side marked "Syracuse Forging & Gun Co / Syracuse NY"
Quotes are mine & the / represents two lines. The gun itself, unlike the letterhead posted above, does use the ampersand (&).
The best information about Baker hammer guns is William Furnish and Daryl Hallquist, Double Gun Journal, Vol. 9, 1998; No. 2, "The Guns of the Baker Brothers, Part III", pages 63 to 77.
The Baker Hammer Guns made from 1887-1897 are marked several different ways. From the earliest to the latest they are marked -

New Baker------this gun was made in Syracuse

New Baker, Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. , Syracuse , New York

New Baker, Syracuse Forging and Gun Co., Batavia, New York

New Baker, ----This gun was made in Batavia, New York

New Baker, Model 1896, ---- this gun was made in Batavia

Baker Gun Company, Model 1897, made until approx. 1911

The above covers the large majority of the post 1887 hammer guns, but a few show up with other designations.
Thanks Daryl.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com