doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel Book on Alex Martin Guns - 04/17/17 05:01 PM
Has anyone written a maker specific book on Alex Martin?

I could not find reference to one anywhere, but I thought I might ask as someone may have seen one that I missed in my internet searches
Posted By: lagopus Re: Book on Alex Martin Guns - 04/17/17 05:25 PM
Donald Dallas http://donalddallas.com/ is currently writing a book on Scottish Gunmakers. I understand it will mainly be about Daniel Fraser but no doubt he will have something along those lines in mind if not included in his Fraser book. Send him an e-mail he is always prompt at replying. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Book on Alex Martin Guns - 04/19/17 03:05 AM
The author, the late Geoffrey Boothroyd,a personal friend was a resident of Glasgow. Geoffrey spent many years researching the gunmakers of Scotland. In his book; "Shotguns and Gunsmiths",pages167-171 he provides a brief history of Alexander Martin, Glasgow.
Whist on a visit to Glasgow, Geoffrey arranged for a visit to the Glasgow museum were I was privileged too see the Alex Martin Collection which was not at the time on public display. This massive and varied collection did not at the time of my visit appear to be catalogued. However the museum has on file in their Mitchell Library,catalogues covering the Alex Martin, Ribless Shotgun; circa 1930.
As a former owner of an Alex Martin ribless gun circa 1950,my own research suggests that my gun was likely made by A.A.Brown, one of Englands finest Gun makers.
Alex Martin also Owned a ranch in Canada and for a short time had a branch business in Calgary, Alberta.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com