doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/11/17 02:59 PM
I know we've had this discussion years ago, but there's a discussion on the 1911 forum about this now and I can't recall all the details.

Can anyone provide details of each of these processes and maybe some historical information on when they may have been developed?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/11/17 03:42 PM
There is a detailed description of the carbona process in Ned Schwing's Model 42 book. If no one else responds, I can provide those details later in the day. Also, this link has some useful info, especially toward the end of the thread.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopi...arbona#p3114758
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/11/17 03:56 PM
Thanks. I do have Schwing's 42 book. I'll look it over. But I'm also looking for some history. Was it used in 19th century English doubles? etc..
Posted By: Mark II Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/11/17 05:13 PM
Chuck, the carbona blueing was used by Smith & Wesson until sometime after WWII
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/11/17 05:27 PM
Mark,
Yes, that was stated by a member in the 1911 forum as well. I believe it was common to the pre-war Colt autos and maybe revolvers as well.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/12/17 12:29 AM
If I remember right the Colt percussion revolvers are sometimes described as having a peacock blue, that was a charcoal process
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Carbona and Charcoal Blue Processes - 04/12/17 11:07 AM
I think Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" has a detailed discussion of the different methods of blueing and a lot of other handy stuff.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com