doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marc Stokeld custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/14/17 05:26 PM
i have a speed bag i got from trader keith's back around '96, when they and dunn's were about the only place to readily get them over here. it is the typical bag that holds over 100 rounds. i used it all the time back in my serious crow murdering days

but these days i would like to get a couple of smaller bags. is there a person or company who will make a proper shell bag to your dimensions?

thank you very much for your help
Marc,
While certainly not custom, Jeff"s Outfitters, Boyts Leather, or Galazan may have the size you're looking for.
Karl
UK vendors offer a myriad of designs and sizes. All shipped easily to the US.
Posted By: bobski Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/14/17 11:54 PM
call al ange here in va. I served with him in the navy. we were both cpo's, members of the navy skeet team way back when, members at the Langley s&t club, and richmond s&t club together as well. he has a very popular and exotic custom leather shell bag business. tell him bob in Suffolk sent you.
Posted By: bobski Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 12:04 AM
heres the link for al............

http://alangeleather.com/
Posted By: John E Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 01:15 AM
It might get some snickers from your shooting cronies, but Dooney and Bourke have some small field bags that fit your purpose nicely. I have an older Duck Bag that holds 50 rounds that is just right.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 01:52 AM
Westley Richards has a nice one.

Useful for clays, doves, any volume shooting. If you need a custom modification they are happy to oblige. Shipped from Birmingham in 2 days.
Posted By: gil russell Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 02:18 PM
I would second John E's post. I have used several bags from Dooney & Burke, changing out the straps to a heavier one. Their quality is excellent.
Posted By: GLS Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 02:27 PM
I had a Filson small field shoulder bag that was swiped by my daughter for use as a pocket book. She's had it for over 5 years and still gets compliments, the style-setter she is. wink It no longer carries shells, however. Gil
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/15/17 03:20 PM
You might contact John Bugden in Murray, KY. John used to be a fixture at The Vintage Cup and the Southern Side by Side, displaying hand crafted gun cases, slings, handguards, hats and such accouterments. I've been using one of his gun slips for the past 13 years. The quality is spectacular. I suspect he'd make whatever you want .
These guys make some of the best:

http://www.bradybags.co.uk/

They're in England, but they ship...Geo
Originally Posted By: Marc Stokeld
i have a speed bag i got from trader keith's back around '96, when they and dunn's were about the only place to readily get them over here. it is the typical bag that holds over 100 rounds. i used it all the time back in my serious crow murdering days

but these days i would like to get a couple of smaller bags. is there a person or company who will make a proper shell bag to your dimensions?

thank you very much for your help

When shopping for Jaeger Lecoultre you buy the Reverso when shopping for leather baggie you buy Gucci. If you want to save on car insurance you may want to call Geico. What I mean is buying English ammo baggie is like buying TAG Heuer watch with generic ETA movement when in reality you want 70s vintage Heuer 'Monaco'.
On the subject of bags, I saw a bag in Germany back in the 70's that a friend bought after taking the hunting class. It was the nicest bag I have ever seen. Lo and behold, I saw that same bag here on this board at one of the sites of a contributor. I think it may have been Robin Hollow Outfitters. Jack ????. Sorry, I can't remember names. I could have bought the bag and didn't and have regretted it ever since!! If was nice tan colored leather and once the flap was folded back there were about 6 or 8 shell loops right up next to the opening. It probably would have easily held 75 shells. Again, that one of those "wish I hads".
Memory is back. Jack Dudley!!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/20/17 10:37 PM
La becasse was his old shop, right?
I liked going there, back in the day
I think it was just over the NH/VT border
franc
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/21/17 01:01 AM
Yes. Jack was La Becasse. Jack's back in Vermont but out of the gun business. One of the good guys.
Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Westley Richards has a nice one.

Useful for clays, doves, any volume shooting. If you need a custom modification they are happy to oblige. Shipped from Birmingham in 2 days.

What does one like the bag pictured sell for??
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: custom shell bag makers suggestions? - 03/28/17 01:44 AM
There are some nice bags on eBay from $50 on up. Even a Purdey bag right now.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com