doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GaryO Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 07:11 PM
For years I have used size 6 lead shot at 1200 fps to great effect on pheasants. But now here in Kalifornia we are ordered to switch over to non-toxic shot for all game birds except on private "game farms". What do you folks suggest? Thanks...
Posted By: skeettx Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 07:20 PM
Subtract 2 for shot size and go up two for velocity

So #4 Steel at 1400 fps

Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 07:21 PM
High speed steel two's work well for me on ducks and geese; ought to work fine for pheasants...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 08:19 PM
Look into Bismuth if you can. You don't shoots cases of shells hunting so the cost per shell should not break you. Bismuth 5 or 4's should work well and are kind to old doubles.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: GaryO
For years I have used size 6 lead shot at 1200 fps to great effect on pheasants. But now here in Kalifornia we are ordered to switch over to non-toxic shot for all game birds except on private "game farms". What do you folks suggest? Thanks...

As suggested above it can be done stylishly with #4 steel through modern Browning Citori or Beretta 6xx series over/unders.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 11:31 PM
I like KY Jon's suggestion. I can't imagne shooting steel out of my sxs's. Never had to use non-tox here in Michigan but if I did, it would be the "kinder" stuff.
Karl
Posted By: Bruce Bernacki Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/04/17 11:42 PM
I started using the rule of thumb to go down 2 shot sizes (from 6 go 4). They weren't dead in the air like they were with lead, went to steel 3's. That was the ticket for me. For what it's worth, there is a report on steel shot that many game departments post done by Tom Roster and it suggests 2's for average game shots. That would seem too patchy to me, pattern-wise. But obviously, waterfowlers do OK with 2's. I use a skeet choke for pheasants over pointing dogs. Most (maybe all) of our public grounds in WA where pheasants are supplemented require non-toxic shot now. Wish lead were still legal but I just bought a Benelli Ultralight and persevered. Not a double but it handles well, I shoot it fine, and I don't care what I run through it.

Bruce
Posted By: Little Creek Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 01:31 AM
Tom Roster did a study on pheasants (and also ducks) leathality with steel. He determined that, for roosters, the appropriate steel was size no. 2. I have used #4 steel and it was inadequate at 30 yards. #2 shot was preferred for ducks as well. The point was, what killed the birds dead most often...

In other experience I have killed smaller geese and cranes with #3, #2, BB, and T steel. The #3 was relatively poor at any distance, breaking wings but not penetrating body cavity on a straight incoming shot. I choose BB's most often.

Have fun!
Posted By: Replacement Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 01:59 AM
I am also stuck in CA and not happy about the lead ban. I have killed one pheasant with steel as an incidental target on a duck hunt. Load was Faststeel 3", 1-1/8oz #3 at about 30 yards, and that parrot was deader than most of the ones I have shot with lead. Not ideal, but it worked pretty well. I only have one SxS that I would be willing to use with steel, so I'll either use a Citori or 686 with steel, or HeviShot for the other SxSs. I have not had positive experiences with bismuth, but I did pick up a flat of 16ga when I stumbled into it, and I have a small stash of 20s that I have been hoarding.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 02:19 AM
I've done all my wild pheasant hunting with steel for nearly 25 years. When they are holding well, I'll use #4 in the first barrel and #2 in the second. When they are flushing at long range, I'll load #2 in both barrels. Kills 'em dead, even with a 20 ga.
Posted By: ajjar Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 03:03 AM
Used steel in the wma's in the Dakotas and 3's or 2's work fine. Remember the pattern will tighten, too, and it seems, like with ducks, you might get a few more delayed deaths since the steel doesn't deform like lead, so keep an eye on them even as they sail over the next field. Sometimes they'll fade and the pooch can make a 300 yard retrieve! Steel is lighter so gets to the bird faster but slows down faster at distance , so for the most part, on the regular shots you won't notice much difference, the longer shots maybe a little less oomph hitting the bird.
Posted By: GaryO Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 06:26 AM
sorry; should have mentioned that I shoot a 16 ga O/U....
Posted By: Irrational Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 07:23 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Look into Bismuth if you can. You don't shoots cases of shells hunting so the cost per shell should not break you. Bismuth 5 or 4's should work well and are kind to old doubles.

Definitely the way to go if the bank balance permits: no need to go crazy in terms of heavier loads and you don't have the choke restrictions associated with steel (i.e. you can safely put bismuth though 3/4 or full chokes) and you can use with damascus.

Nice overview of the options here https://basc.org.uk/lead/ (the Lead Shot Alternatives guide is pretty comprehensive).

We have to use non-tox for 'fowl over here so have put a good number of bismuth through. Never had any problems with cleanliness of kills and, if lead were banned for other game (fortunately not on the cards at present) I'd have no concerns using bismuth.
Posted By: DLA Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 11:32 AM
I also use Bismuth for pheasants. I have had great success with Eley fiber wad, 1oz., #5's. I usually shoot less than a flat per season so it doesn't add that much to the cost. Waterfowl are an entirely different story. I would go broke shooting Bismuth at them.

Dennis
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 12:09 PM
Roster's study, mentioned above, is pretty old. Steel loads are much better now than they were when he did that study (I think about 20 years ago). And he also used 1 oz loads, assuming that most pheasant hunters would go with the cheap stuff. (And back then, steel was significantly more expensive than lead.) It was a blind study (shooters didn't know what they were shooting), and compared shot sizes 2, 4, and 6.

One interesting result from the study was that there were almost no birds lost with any of those loads inside of 30 yards. Beyond 40 yards, different story. Wounding loss rate on those longer range birds was something like 15%.

Comparing to today's loads is difficult because of the improvements in steel shotshells. I have a friend who shoots nothing but steel at pheasants. He's a decent shot, but not outstanding. Certainly misses from time to time. Uses 1 1/8 oz 4's, shoots dozens of wild roosters in a season, and seldom loses a bird. I would add that he hunts over a very good wirehair.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 12:57 PM
Steel is of course much lighter in weight than lead. The going up two sizes is to bring them to similar weights per pellet. Going up 3 sizes brings them much closer ballistically. Having less sectional density steel of course "Sheds" velocity much quicker than does lead. This is why it has to be started faster. It Doesn't "Get to the Target Quicker" because it is lighter. If started at similar velocities the lead will get there quicker because it is "Heavier". Although admittedly much more drastic but throw a golf ball & a ping pong ball with the same force & you will very quickly see the difference sectional density makes.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Subtract 2 for shot size and go up two for velocity

So #4 Steel at 1400 fps

Mike

This works for me very well in my Merkel.

I will add, open up your chokes one level as well. Modified or improved modified will shoot tighter than they would with lead.
Posted By: ajjar Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 02:35 PM
I've never seen factory 16 ga steel? Anybody make it?
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 03:19 PM
FEDERAL makes it.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/05/17 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: GaryO
sorry; should have mentioned that I shoot a 16 ga O/U....

Unless it can handle modern steel or HeviShot loads I would trade this for light weight 12ga or 20ga. You will be better off in the long run. Now is not bad time to do it. I predict there will be a flood of used 16ga guns for sale in near future.
Posted By: Phunter Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/06/17 05:22 AM
I shoot about 50 wild Roosters on federal wetlands every year. Without a doubt number 2 Steel is the way to go in a 12 gauge. Fours work pretty well too but picking the shot out can be a challenge. And you want to find them all or risk losing a tooth.

I also quit messing around other nontoxics and trying to get by with an older gun not meant for modern loads w/no company support. Bit the bullet and bought a 28" 12 CZ Upland sxs w/chokes and double triggers. Nice knowing there is a company that will fix it if it breaks (didn't this year). Sure...it ain't no LC Smith. But, its pretty dang nice and I can finally have fun shooting steel w/no worries.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/06/17 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Phunter
I shoot about 50 wild Roosters on federal wetlands every year. Without a doubt number 2 Steel is the way to go in a 12 gauge. Fours work pretty well too but picking the shot out can be a challenge. And you want to find them all or risk losing a tooth.

I also quit messing around other nontoxics and trying to get by with an older gun not meant for modern loads w/no company support. Bit the bullet and bought a 28" 12 CZ Upland sxs w/chokes and double triggers. Nice knowing there is a company that will fix it if it breaks (didn't this year). Sure...it ain't no LC Smith. But, its pretty dang nice and I can finally have fun shooting steel w/no worries.

I agree 100% buying quality modern gun is the way to go. When you look at pics of modern European hunters dressed in the field like people in US dress to Church they are shooting either modern O/U or Semi-Auto.
Posted By: GaryO Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/06/17 04:00 PM
I have a TriStar Hunter EX 16 gauge O/U with screw chokes. The folks at TriStar suggest that steel is fine as long as I install a modified choke as my tightest choke; I have about decided to try Kent bismouth #5's on those local roosters...
Thanks for all your council...
Posted By: DGM Re: Steel for pheasants? - 03/06/17 05:07 PM
I'm generally not a fan of using steel, but where its been required, have had good luck with the Kent Upland Fasteel loads. 1 oz 6 shot at 1450 fps has worked fine. Have shot dozens of pheasants with it through a Browning BSS with Briley steel chokes in skeet/IC.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com