doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gregdownunder A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 12:19 AM
Here’s a nice BLE I picked up recently.
I have not heard much about Allan or seen many of his guns, I presume he was more of a retailer than maker although I suspect he did stock and finish his guns.
I have come across one other slightly plainer Allan box lock here, and in both cases fit and finish seems a step up from most.
Interestingly it has a chunk of lumber on it that I would consider above the grade of the gun, it may have been requested.
Anyone have any further info/comments on this maker?

As an aside and for those that find such things interesting I do have the full history of the gun as told to me by the son of the original owner.
This chap was a doctor from Scotland, who received the gun on completing medical school very early 1900’s.
He then emigrated to New Zealand where he set up business in a town an hour’s drive from me.
During WW1 this chap rode with our NZEF mounted rifles in Palestine as a medic.
Upon his return he continued with his practice before unfortunately succumbing to a disease caught off a patient in 1929.
His son inherited his dads gun and used it up until the outbreak of WW2.
He in turn served with the 2nd NZEF in Italy, and the gun was required by the home guard for the duration of the war.
After his return it was used lightly for ducks and upland game, pest control etc. on his farm until his retirement.
Now in his late nineties he handed in his firearms licence and the gun to the local arms officer for destruction.
Fortunately our arms officer is a good chap I know who put him on to me where a fair exchange took place.
I thought I would share the story as I would suspect it very unusual to find a gun of this age with only two owners.
I know some have no interest in such things, but to me a big part of collecting firearms is the history behind them, even if fairly straight forward and domestic.

Cheers,

GDU.

Posted By: skeettx Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 12:23 AM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339909

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA00724
Posted By: Judge Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 12:57 AM
Stunning piece of wood. Nice job saving it.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 02:14 AM
I have an A Allan common boxlock with 30" Damascus barrels that is my "go to" skeet gun. Very well made gun though standard Birmingham issued action. Also has a nice, though not fancy piece of wood. No way to be certain but I'm betting the barreled action was supplied from the black country and then stocked in Allan's shop.

You have a very nice gun that is several steps ahead of mine in quality. Greener crossbolt, ejectors, forend tip inlay, and Deeley latch--all very nice.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 03:41 AM
Very nice gun with an interesting, known history.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 06:09 AM
That is great information about your shotgun and I for one would love to know the prior history on my double. Beautiful gun.

Would they have destroyed a double?
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 06:30 AM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
That is great information about your shotgun and I for one would love to know the prior history on my double. Beautiful gun.

Would they have destroyed a double?

Thanks.
Unfortunately police here have a policy of destroying any firearms handed in, irrespective of what they are.
It does not appear to be a hard and fast rule fortunately so comes down to the individual arms officer and most will advise people to give them to the local gun shop to sell on behalf.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 06:32 AM
Anyone know if a trade label was ever produced by Allan?
Posted By: redgrouse Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 11:06 AM
Hello, try http://www.gmackinlay.com/contact-us/

Graham will know.

Regards redgrouse
Posted By: trw999 Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 04:36 PM
Here you are Greg:

[img:left][/img]

Tim
Posted By: lagopus Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 08:27 PM
Frightening what guns get destroyed by the Police if handed in. Same madness here in the U.K. Well done for rescuing it. At least you have an enlightened Firearms Officer. Lagopus.....
Posted By: KY Jon Re: A Allan BLE - 02/27/17 09:05 PM
Beautiful gun and for now a much happier ending for it. For those cursed to live in areas hostile to gun ownership and future cursed to have family indifferent to gun ownership I am afraid too many fine guns will be sent to the chip shop saw.

I knew if a fellow who had a rather rare very ornate Luger which was a bring back by his father or uncle from WWI. He was thinking about turning it into the local police which would have resulted in its destruction. Instead I talked him into sending it to a dealer who specialized in rare or odd Lugers. It sold for the price of a new SUV I was told. Anyways, the fellow split up the money between his least worthless grandkids who promptly went through it like crap through a goose. Still at least the gun did not end up as scrap metal.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: A Allan BLE - 02/28/17 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: trw999
Here you are Greg:

[img:left][/img]

Tim

Fantastic, any way I could obtain a high res image?
Ill try G Mackinlay as well.
Cheers,

GDU.
Posted By: trw999 Re: A Allan BLE - 02/28/17 08:40 AM
Greg, I have sent you a PM.

Tim
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: A Allan BLE - 02/28/17 06:58 PM
Look at the wood to metal fit on that thing. That would have been a crime to destroy that shotgun.

One question, are these laws of permit ownership, lose the permit lose the gun, more or less from the EU?
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: A Allan BLE - 02/28/17 07:47 PM
It wasn't long ago police here used to hold auctions to sell all handed in/confiscated guns provided they were of legal configuration. Those days are gone, however most will say our firearms laws are actually pretty good in this day and age and crime with firearms pretty low.
That said international and internal pressure has put some storm clouds on the horizon, especially in the form of full registration of firearms.
For those that are interested in such things check out this webpage for the council of licenced firearms owners:
http://www.colfo.org.nz/
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com