doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: big al1 Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 03:32 PM
I am trying to get a 4-bore imported from London to the states what I need to do?The shotgun is orgined imported from Italy to London this all I know,so what do I need to know?I will wait on your post..
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 03:43 PM
Try Briley, I am told they still do that sort of thing.
bill
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 03:53 PM
Is it modern or an antique? And can you document it if it is an antique? Antiques if you can document them are straight forwards to import if you can prove it. If not then pay someone to do all of the leg work for you. It may cost a few extra dollars but it is worth it to me. Who has it in London, an dealer with an export history I hope so they can handle everything on that end.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 04:23 PM
You bought one without finding out beforehand?? Say it ain't so big al!...Geo
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 04:53 PM
Hi Big Al,
I remember you have posted quite a few times over the years looking for a big bore gun.
Can't help you with any info, but wanted to say that I hope you can do the deal, "Get Her done" as they say, & that you are happy with it
cheers
Franc
Posted By: GGress Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 05:09 PM
I think SKB on this board does importing.

Greg
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 06:02 PM
I've never imported a gun but is it right that if it's pre 1898 it can be classed as an antique in the USA which makes the process a lot easier.
Not sure if that helps but hopefully someone with the correct info will post here soon.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 06:25 PM
Try Charles Schneible at British Sporting Arms LTD. He advertises that he provides this service & I know that he imported a gun for an acquaintance within the past year.
Posted By: steve f Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 06:37 PM
Someone on here in past recommended these guys. I have no connection to them and haven't used them, just passing this on.

Import Service
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 07:40 PM
I'll second the recommendation of Charlie Schneible. He did the importation of a Westley Richards for me and has done a number of guns for one of my shooting buddies.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: steve f
Someone on here in past recommended these guys. I have no connection to them and haven't used them, just passing this on.

Import Service

I noted on their website "federal law requires that all firearms imported by licensed importers be engraved with the importer’s name and the city of importation, regardless of the gun’s value. Your gun will be laser engraved precisely at the minimum specified height and depth: 1/16 and .006 inches, respectively." It surprised me as I have never seen it on a vintage SxS before. Is it correct?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 08:56 PM
My William Richards 410 is stamped with the importers name. Bobby
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: old colonel

Import Service

I noted on their website "federal law requires that all firearms imported by licensed importers be engraved with the importer’s name and the city of importation, regardless of the gun’s value. Your gun will be laser engraved precisely at the minimum specified height and depth: 1/16 and .006 inches, respectively." It surprised me as I have never seen it on a vintage SxS before. Is it correct?

AFAIK, the "good", "professional" importers will put the engraving in a good, legally-sufficient, inconspicuous-unless-you-know-where-to-look-and-won't-diminish-the-value place.
The requirement for engraving has not been there since the beginning of time, so it is possible on guns not so engraved that they came in before it was required. Or, OTOH, someone merely forgot to do it and no one noticed.
Posted By: Linn Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/23/17 11:00 PM
I know nothing about them.

T. R. Imports, Inc.
5778 Park Vista Cir Ste 302
Fort Worth, TX 76244
(817) 750-2291
fax (817) 581-4222
www.trimports.com
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Originally Posted By: old colonel

Import Service

AFAIK, the "good", "professional" importers will put the engraving in a good, legally-sufficient, inconspicuous-unless-you-know-where-to-look-and-won't-diminish-the-value place.
The requirement for engraving has not been there since the beginning of time, so it is possible on guns not so engraved that they came in before it was required. Or, OTOH, someone merely forgot to do it and no one noticed.

You have to be very careful that the stamp is professionally applied also.
Posted By: redoak Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 04:11 AM
DGS forum member SKB imported a Birmingham gun for me last summer. Pain free, and half the price quoted me by BSA.
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 04:31 AM
I take it from the inquiry that you don't have the age related information on the gun or a Type 03 ("Curios and Relics") or Type 01 license. If both are the case you'll need to deal with an importer ($ to $$$).

If you do have the license, I have personally handled many imports under a Type 03 for my own collection so it can be done with preparation and patience. The paperwork has become increasingly burdensome, ironically because of the move to electronic forms, to the point that it is almost necessary to use a broker even though that is not legally required (how many private citizens are set up for ICE/CuBE's electronic system?). The real problem is CuBE ("customs") who seem to change what is needed every six months and at the whim of the particular officer you interact with. ATF is relatively straightforward but you must demonstrate proof of the age of the gun.

Bottom line is if you're set up to do it yourself it can be done.
If not you're best off dealing with importers but pay attention to folks feedback here because some of them are rather incompetent and/or engaged in the personal politics of the gun trade (I write from personal experience) which can create it's own problem. I've had folks hold firearms of mine without notification requiring some effort to track down with the threat of legal action. Make sure that whomever you deal with confirms that they can handle the action from door to door including customs with all parties in the chain identified.

Your state may also have FFL transfer documentation requirements that need to be met. I find these are in practice not an issue if the FFL and Customs are handled in the state where you reside.

Jeremy
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 04:37 AM
[quote=treblig1958You have to be very careful that the stamp is professionally applied also. [/quote]

Maybe I'm being picky but engrave it don't stamp it.
Stamping it carries the risk of distorting the area it's applied to, usually the under rib.
Many guns (at least British doubles which is what I'm used to) already carry the "maker's" name and street address in various locations.
Consequently it may only be necessary to add the "Made In XXXXX".

Jeremy
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 04:13 PM
A "third" for Schneible, I just imported a non-antique gun thru him last month. I would just put him in touch with the seller and they can probably work it out.

Enjoy!
Posted By: steve f Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 06:57 PM
I believe the importer is required to stamp or engrave the importer's name and location here in the U.S. I had an old gun brought in by Simpson LTD at sometime in the past and Simpson had very neatly laser engraved their info on the water table in tiny characters. There was some complaints by other importers that the location wasn't in a noticeable place as required by law.
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/24/17 08:28 PM
Steve,
Yes the importer is responsible and has 15 days to do so according to the latest 6a I've seen. Interestingly it says that the information is to be "engraved or cast " (Classic ignorantly written regulation.I'd like to see someone cast the required information on a gun).
Interestingly the 6a is silent on where.
Jeremy
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/25/17 01:45 PM
Just imported 2 guns from Spain they had to use an export broker
there, air cargo, insurance, other fees $690.

Here you will pay a few fees to the airline, just junk charges, and of course other fees as well

Broker fees here at this end too. EDP, terminal fees, possible transfer fee, storage fee. Duty too.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston TX
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/25/17 05:19 PM
Handling as much as possible myself, basically everything except the required customs bond, US "port" totals typically run in the $500 to $600 range for shipment values around $7000 to $8000. Costs from the UK range from about $70 to $400 per gun with the cheaper rate reflecting multiple gun shipment. All told it typically costs me about $200 a gun the way I do it. It takes about 3 months for all the paper processing on both sides of the moat.

Jeremy
Posted By: Claybird Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/25/17 07:57 PM
Griffin & Howe states on its website that it handles importation of firearms.
Posted By: big al1 Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/26/17 02:00 AM
There is one thing some mention if you have C&R lincense and I wonder if I can import it myself ? All I need to know the cut off date that I can date..
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/26/17 02:37 AM
A Type 03 (Curios and Relics) can import under the rolling 50 year old rule, so 1966. You will need a form 6 permit from ATF.
Jeremy
Posted By: George L. Re: Need help importing a shotgun? - 02/28/17 03:38 AM
I would recommend John Farugia, owner of Cheshire Gun Room www.cheshiregunroom.com. He is straight as an arrow and very reasonable.

Best Regards, George
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com