doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 05:56 AM
I misplaced my cheap trigger scale and wanted to check a gun I had worked on and had nothing else but my wife's digital bakers scale. I made a hook from a clothes hanger and found this plastic pitcher. Just filled it slowly until the trigger broke, shut the water off and weighed the hook and pitcher. Very repeatable. A longer hook would be needed for a long gun.

2 lbs 8 oz, if you were curious.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 10:47 AM
Interesting. Ought to try it.
Posted By: SamW Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 12:20 PM
Patent pending?

Just curious...what measurement did you get?
Posted By: old colonel Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 01:09 PM
A neat method
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 01:23 PM
Dad adjusted many a Timney trigger with a 3 lbs. of butter and much the same arrangement.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 01:58 PM
A fishing scale works as well. (Not the real small ones). You hook it onto the trigger and pull it slowly until the trigger releases.

Regards
Ken
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 02:31 PM
My kind of tool, Chuck. Simple and price is right. Great!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 03:50 PM
Yep ,as the fella said... Necessity is a mother ****** smile
Good one !
franc
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: No Trigger Scale? - 01/31/17 06:16 PM
Being repeatable surely means accurate, a very useful way to get it done.
Karl
Posted By: Boats Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/03/17 12:06 PM
It's a good trick. No scale is more accurate than a check weight. Old NRA style,trigger weights hanging off the trigger will work perfect every time. You can add disk weight calibrated to check any possible trigger

Somebody is always trying to make a new product replacing something that works well. Next step is making it cheaper. Spring scales are not accurate, digitals may be, if the battery's aren't dead.

Boats
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/03/17 03:54 PM
I used fishing sinkers added on to a hook, being near the coast I have them up to 24oz. added a couple smaller ones together until it clicked.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 01:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Boats
Spring scales are not accurate,

Boats

I agree. I have used one recently and found that, when the trigger broke, the sliding "stop" jumped as much as 3/4 pound, giving the impression that the trigger "broke" at a higher than real tension.

I was about to order one of the spring or digital gauges, but have decided not to.

I like Chuck's idea better. I need an accurate set of digital scales in my shop anyway. Maybe I can find one that will accurately weigh from -3# up to 12+#.

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 01:31 PM
I use a spring type scale called a Boga Grip for fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastaboga-Tackle-BogaGrip/dp/B00F0X39YQ

It is accurate...Geo
Posted By: Boats Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 01:50 PM
I use two spring scales big one for general shop use and a small indicating scale for Fly Rod leaders. IGFA the organization that certifies fish records. Tackle shop nearby has a certified IGFA leader tester. Real expensive machine, my spring scale can read off 20 percent when compared to the certified test scale. Cheap one is useful when it does not count money on the line take leaders to the shop to test.

When measuring small weights down to 6 lbs breaking, ordinary spring scales won't read true. Trigger pulls even less no way they are useful for trigger pull work.

Check weight rig not hard to make I used a homemade before finding a NRA check weight. Small can riveted to a wire hanger dribbled shot in until the trigger broke then weighed the can on a digital.

Boats
Posted By: John Roberts Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 03:11 PM
Love the red sink and the accent border.
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I need an accurate set of digital scales in my shop anyway. Maybe I can find one that will accurately weigh from -3# up to 12+#.
SRH

Stan, I bought one of these several years ago and have used it a lot. Works great and priced right.
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ultraship35.html

Seemed like a good outfit to do business with as well.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: No Trigger Scale? - 02/04/17 07:27 PM
Thanks, John. I'll order one today.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com