doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ducks Rx London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 01/31/17 03:25 AM
Just bought nice WJ Jeffery SxS that stock fit is perfect for me, however the London Guns recoil pad surface is very "slick" and has tendency to slide downward when shouldered. Anyone have suggestions or experiences on how to make face of pad less slippery.
Is it a rubber pad?

I assume it is, but have not seen their product

If so contact them as they should have the best answer

http://www.londonguns.com/
It is rubber looks like Silvers pad and has inletted "spur" on top.
Did a Google search and think they are no longer in business.
I would try lightly sanding the base of the pad with a superfine 800 grit wet dry paper

That Said I would wait for further advice from others on this board as I have not had the problem you describe.
Remove the pad from the gun stock then have the face of the pad sand blasted to roughen the surface.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 01/31/17 05:08 PM
Glue a thin piece of leather on face of pad. Bobby
If you don't mind the look, I used a piece of duct tape trimmed to fit on a slick butt. It worked fine .
A strip of Velcro. It comes in various widths and has
adhesive already applied. Removal is no problem.
Posted By: skeettx Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/01/17 02:38 AM
Double sided clear tape works wonderfully and lasts a long time.
Easily removed and replaced.
Easy to install.
Fit feeling and length of pull are unaffected smile

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Double-Dis...ided+clear+tape
When I competed in m/l roundball rifle competition I began shooting an Appalachian style mountain rifle which had no butt treatment at all, just smooth sanded and finished wood. It slipped around and caused me angst. I glued a piece off a roll of 80 grit emery cloth to it, with the rough side out. It stayed where I put it from that day on. Worked wonderfully, still on there.

You may not want something so obvious as that on a nice English double, however.

SRH
Great ideas! Think will try double sided tape fist. Have some on hand
Thanks to all for replies.
Bruce
Posted By: eeb Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/01/17 03:16 PM
Try skateboard tape. Works for me.
I think London Guns sold the last batch of those pads about 15 years ago, so it may just be age hardened. You might be able to soften it up with a soak in lacquer thinner, but that soak may also swell the pad a bit. They were/are nice pads.
Posted By: keith Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/01/17 03:59 PM
I'd be careful with lacquer thinner soaking as it may dissolve or permanently damage the rubber pad.

A quick Google search gives a number of solutions for softening old hardened rubber including soaking the object in a 3:1 solution of 91% rubbing alcohol and wintergreen oil, or applying liquid silicone to restore the lost plasticizers. Short applications of Glycerin was another solution, but there were warnings that prolonged soaks in glycerin would turn rubber to mush. Another one suggests using a mixture of wintergreen oil and toluene. But toluene is a pretty potent organic solvent too, one of the components of PVC pipe cleaner. Some folks were keeping their go-kart tires soft for better traction by spraying them with WD-40 and wrapping them with saran wrap to keep the WD-40 from quickly flashing off.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/01/17 04:53 PM
Phil Katzeen(sp) was "London Guns." As an ACGG member his products are missed and it took a large time for someone to make the products he made so well. Mark Beasland (another ACGG member) tracked down the maker of Phil's recoil pads and is now having small batches of them made for Mark's Born Again Bird Guns, Inc. I have bought them in the past two years and they are indeed good pads to work with. As for making them less slick...a leather covered face is the best option that I know of. Using a piece of leather that is distressed in the manufacturing process is helpful too in making it less slick.
Nobody seems to like my duct tape suggestion, but I forgot to say I use only "best" duct tape.
Most (if not all) of "Silver's) type pads get slick very quickly. It's not so much that the pad gets hard but the surface of the pad oxidizes & gets slick sort of like a pencil eraser does.

As some others have suggested, a small piece of tape like skateboard tape with a rough surface or something slightly tacky works well for me. I just put the tape on when I want to use the gun & remove it when I put the gun away. You only need a 1 1/2" piece in the center of the pad to make it stay securely in the shoulder pocket & it won't catch & interfere with your gun mount that way

If I'm going to have a pad I prefer the looks of the traditional Silver's type pad & tape is the best solution I've found unless you want to cover the pad or the face in leather.

I don't favor leather covered pads on hunting guns because they quickly become worn & nasty looking if you hunt around any brier patches.
Posted By: Dr. P Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/02/17 09:57 AM
I used a 1 inch wide strip of stair step non slip abrasive tread tape. Worked great and came off completely when I wanted to sell the gun. You don't need but 2 or 3 inches down the middle of the pad and could probably get by with a half inch wide strip.

https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-Nonsli...r+step+abrasive
The CA gun dealer's name was Katsenes.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/03/17 04:33 AM
Thanks Larry. It has been a long time since I had his proper spelling on hand. I last talked to his widow about buying some of his remaining stock on hand. He and she were very private people and Phil did not want anyone to know he had an illness that robbed him of his abilities. I just called him by name when I dealt with him over the phone.
When a pad is leather faced properly is the cut edge dyed, or in any other way treated so the inner color of the leather is not showing, or does the dye completely penetrate the leather when it is that thin?

SRH
Originally Posted By: DES/TSD
Thanks Larry. It has been a long time since I had his proper spelling on hand. I last talked to his widow about buying some of his remaining stock on hand. He and she were very private people and Phil did not want anyone to know he had an illness that robbed him of his abilities. I just called him by name when I dealt with him over the phone.

No problem. I owned an Italian sxs he imported.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: London Guns Santa Barbara, CA Recoil Pad - 02/04/17 04:36 PM
When thin leather is colored with a dye, the color usually penetrates all the way through. On leather that is thicker in nature, such a a belt, the edges will be colored as a separate step. The tanning method of the leather has a lot to do with how a dye will penetrate as well. Vegetable tanning is the most common method sold today. However the older method of tannning
(using salt, animal parts, and other natural ingredients) may be found in small batches from a custom leather tanning supplier. The EPA made it clear the toxic nature of that method was to be greatly regulated inside the USA.
Thanks, Dennis.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com