doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John E Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/06/17 01:13 PM
What I have found is they manufactured an O/U from 1949-1953. There were 450 in 12ga and 50 in 20ga totaling 500 guns.

Are they a sound design?
Should they be included in a collection of American made O/U shotguns?

https://www.google.com/patents/US2641076
Posted By: JLN Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/06/17 03:27 PM
This gun just sold on Gunbroker yesterday for $315. It looked like a nice gun from the few pics posted.

Jason
Posted By: John E Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/06/17 10:51 PM
Jason,

I was watching that one, and was apparently the most timid of two bidders. I have no history on these guns other than the basic dates and production numbers. No clue on design soundness, value, or collectability. That is why I asked.

John
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/07/17 12:38 AM
There was a good article about them in a GUN DIGEST back in the mid 1960's,I believe.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/07/17 01:00 AM
I read about these years ago in second edition of Double Shotgun by Don Zutz. Most don't know these were made and there is no collector interest. Personally I would pick Savage 330 series made in Finland. These along with Sears Roebuck Ted Williams Olin Kodensha and Chales Daly Mirokus are best bang in O/U market and spare parts are probably available so if something breaks you will not end up with nice door prop.
Posted By: JLN Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/07/17 05:15 AM
It seemed like a good gun. Someone earlier had posted on it and stated it did not have any really unique design featsures and was just another low end market gun based on the same principles as all others so I chose not to bid either. Now I am reconsidering why I did not bid. I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting. I agree that Mirokus and others probably are easier to repair and maintain but always fun to show up at the range with something no one else has.

Jason
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Morrone, Rhode Island Arms Company - 01/07/17 12:30 PM
Zutz did an article on Morrone OU's for Shotgun Sports magazine. It's one of about 50 of his columns collected in a book called "Grand Old Shotguns".
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com