doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 02:41 PM
Merger is on hold, due to some federal gov't meddling- hence the veracity of one of the 3 biggest lies extant "I'm from the federal Gov't and I am here to help!"
Posted By: Natty Bumpo Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 02:56 PM
Yes, WSJ had an article about the holding action on the merger by a couple of Federal agencies yesterday.

I am concerned about two things. What happens to my Cabela'c Club points and that the Cabela's cc business will be sold off to another bank. Neither is an attractive prospect IMHO.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 03:04 PM
On another note of dog oriented hunting supplies, it seems Lion Country Supply will be up for-sale.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: gold40 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 03:11 PM
On the "CABELA's Points" Question:

My local CABELA's store said the all points can ALSO be used now at Bass Pro.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 03:28 PM
I don't know maybe Bass Pro is saying, "Please get us out of this merger."
Posted By: Replacement Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 04:16 PM
From a purely personal customer perspective, I'd like to see the deal fall apart. I'd much rather deal with Cabela's than with Bass Pro.
Posted By: dogon Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
From a purely personal customer perspective, I'd like to see the deal fall apart. I'd much rather deal with Cabela's than with Bass Pro.

Plus 1
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 05:07 PM

Ditto.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/01/17 08:18 PM

Agreed. SRH
Posted By: H.H. Hipshot Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 12:34 AM
I am halfway between a Cabela's and a BassPro, and shop at both. I have had mostly good experiences at each, and will go to whichever one has what I need at the best price.

The competition between the two stores is good for the consumer and the two companies, as it gives us consumers more choices and keeps the stores on their toes.

I have seen many mergers during my career in telecommunications, and I cannot think of a one that turned out positive for anyone, except the brokers who put together the deal and walked away with a wheelbarrow full of cash. The employees lose, the stockholders lose, and the consumers lose.

I could say more, but I hope that the deal falls through, leaving us with friendly competition, good prices, and lots of choices.

HHH
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan

Agreed. SRH

Me too!

They can say what they want but this is an anti-competitive merger that will increase the prices of outdoor goods for all of us and I detest Bass Pro which sells almost nothing for those of us who need tall size outdoor clothing.
Posted By: dal Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 01:14 AM
Cabela is far superior to bass pro in almost every way.
Posted By: murphy Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 01:23 AM
I like Cabela's also but in fly fishing area, Bass Pro is way superior
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 03:29 AM
This deal needs to be torpedoed as a monopoly.
JR
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 04:38 PM
Speaking as one on the other side of the counter. I've worked for both. Bass Pro is much more professionally run, use fewer managers and get more out of their employees because of their better management and business structure. Cabela's best asset is their mail order business, however they are pretty inefficient as a brick and mortar establishment because their basic structure is has too much redundancy.

I would imagine Bass Pro doing away with the Gun Library. We love it because it is a place to find an occasional bargain, but it is a real money loser for the company. It is possible that the cost of sporting goods could come down if Bass Pro can cut away the Cabela's fat.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: pooch
It is possible that the cost of sporting goods could come down if Bass Pro can cut away the Cabela's fat.

That's not going to happen most likely. After a merger you trim the duplicated things first. Then drop things to save money. Lowering prices does not enter your plans unless you are forced to do so. You let your margins go up not lower your profits. You just eliminated your competition so where is the pressure not to raise your profit line?
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 05:41 PM
KY Jon speaks the truth. Personally I could GAF since neither of them have anything I need at a price I can't find somewhere else - and that has been the case for as long as I can remember.

JMO of course

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 07:12 PM
Only time I go in them shopping is when I'm given gift cards, which happens each year it seems. I had $80 worth of gift cards in my pocket when I went in the big Bass Pro in Memphis last Friday afternoon, walked for two hours looking for something I wanted, and ended up leaving with a $10 DU metal sign and a cell phone dry box. Still got nearly $60 left in credit. I coulda got shells, but just can't bring myself to pay inflated prices, even with a gift card.

Academy Sports beats them all on pricing.

SRH
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 08:08 PM
Being pretty tight, I've always hit Cabela's "Bargain Cave" first. I've made three notable purchases from there over the years.

One, a pair of Steiner binoculars that were marked down nearly 80%. Two, a "Chum Churn" I got for almost nothing. Lastly, a B-3 Bomber Coat that retailed for $600 that I got for $110. I'll really miss the Cave...
Posted By: gil russell Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 08:24 PM
Interesting to hear the comments on the two chains. I hardly ever look at Cabelas catalogs. But I do deal with Bass Pro Shops occasionally. Cabelas Gun library is a wild card because you have no idea what you are getting into.
Funny story on Gift cards, which I think are a bad idea for a gift. Whenever we get one, I'll put it on EBay and generally get at least the face value (deduct from that the shipping, tracking and EBay fee) but then you can spend the money wherever you want.
Posted By: Tom C Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 08:57 PM
This is an example of the Federal government doing what it is suppose to do - protect the people. Mergers like this, that significantly reduce competition between market leaders, results in you and I paying more for products and services and only benefits the shareholders. I also believe prices will rise, layoffs will occur, service will suffer, and product variety will be reduced in an effort to increase shareholder value without any thought of the customer. As a businessman for over 40 years I know how important competition is at controlling product pricing inflation.
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 10:25 PM
I went to visit some old friends at Cabela's, they were all gone. I got a bad feeling there, as did my wife, like they didn't like their customers. My wife thought it like going into Targets. I think Cabela's is going to down size considerably.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 11:36 PM
A "bad feeling"?? In a spooky or sick kind of way?? It's a blasted sporting goods store Pooch!! The merchandise sold by Cabela's is in my opinion better quality than that sold at BP. I wish the deal would fall through and Cabelas would continue as is without getting BP in the mix.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/02/17 11:36 PM
One thing is certain, the Gun Library at Cabela's is bleeding money. They have hundreds, if not thousands of firearms that they bought poorly and are not selling, nor will sell, for anywhere near the prices they are asking. Money pit, big time.

The Big Auction is coming.
JR
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
A "bad feeling"?? In a spooky or sick kind of way?? It's a blasted sporting goods store Pooch!! The merchandise sold by Cabela's is in my opinion better quality than that sold at BP. I wish the deal would fall through and Cabelas would continue as is without getting BP in the mix.

Bad feeling like the sales people didn't like their work or the customers. You could feel it when you walked through the door. Shop where you want to, I just like the atmosphere at Bass Pro better.
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
One thing is certain, the Gun Library at Cabela's is bleeding money. They have hundreds, if not thousands of firearms that they bought poorly and are not selling, nor will sell, for anywhere near the prices they are asking. Money pit, big time.

The Big Auction is coming.
JR

Buying guns, particularly these expensive ones requires a higher level of gun knowledge and experience then you find on the floor of a big box store.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 02:07 AM
Yup- here are a few examples of their "Fubars" from the Gun Library at the Grandville MI store-- an Ideal Grade 16 gauge DT, Ext, at $2650 asking price.. cracks at the lock and both tangs, rust pits on the barrels near the splinter forearm,dents also-- and the barrels were cut from 30" to 26&3/4"-- and here's the "kicker"-- it is a 20 gauge, not a 16- FW series of course-- want another example, just in the double shotgun realm-- OK- a "pre-Flues" Ithaca - a New Ithaca Gun 12 gauge hammerless with Damascus barrels 12 gauge listed as a Ithaca NID - and for only $2750-- it is a Grade 3, apparently. Try to tell their GL "dudes" where they are in error is like shoveling shit against the incoming tides--
Posted By: kirkp Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 02:39 AM
Can't say I disagree with what is being said here. However I don't think they can continue doing business as usual. There have been some good examples of areas that need repair. I also heard that one reason Cabelas was hurting was that they weren't catering to the younger/more athletic crowd which BP and Dick's were good at.
Kirk
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 03:22 AM
I go into the Gun Library when I need a good laugh. I hit the sales rack outside it looking for good buys. Problem is that no one can know everything and to buy long guns, pistols, surplus and C&R stuff is beyond anyone's abilities. I do OK buying Shotguns, fair on rifles but loose my butt on handguns. They might do better buying estates where large number of guns might help them if they over pay for some of them.

I bought a Remington Model 12, Remington Special pump gun with a tang sight, in mint condition for 15% of its real value. Heck the sight was worth more than a hundred alone. Reason it was on the sales rack was I was told the ammo was no longer made. I asked for their lowest, final sale price with no right to return it and they cut it in half again. I bought it out of petty cash in my pocket. My Winchester Special ammo is the perfect substitution for the Remington Special ammo.

My son bought a Gallery Special .22 short, Remington pump gun for $200 off the sales rack. Not mint it was worth three or four times the asking price. They told him that no one shoot shorts much any more and you can not hunt with shorts.
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 05:57 AM
I do miss the Gun Library, nuggets show up ever so often. I would imagine if this economy picks up it will be harder for these stores to get good help. I would hate to try to support a family on a retail clerk's salary. So many of the people I worked with had had better jobs but the recession drove them to any job they could find.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 12:36 PM
I don't know,

"Its not a Model 12, the tag's wrong."
"A Model 12 has 2 barrels."
"That's a Model 21."
"Oh."

"I need 38 long colt."
"What caliber is it?"

Good bye and good riddance.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 12:49 PM
I bought an Ithaca 5E Trap gun from the Sidney store. Did the whole transaction, sight unseen from Mexico. I was very happy when I picked the gun up 4 months later...I had it shipped to Steve Bertram. I shot it one season, as I intended and took it to the Cabelas at Lone Tree to sell it before I went back to Mexico. I fully expected to take a good loss on it. The dude in the Gun Library offered me literally nothing for it BECAUSE IT DIDNT HAVE A SAFETY....Sold it elsewhere..
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 02:00 PM
A couple of years ago I was over at Simpson's Ltd. in Galesburg, IL. They do quite a bit of importing from Europe. At that time Bob Simpson told me that Cabela's had recently bought a 200 gun lot of doubles from them. Most of the guns were Field Grade, and had come from all over Europe. (Mainly Spanish, German, and Belgian, but some Eastern guns as well) Anyone notice an influx of these guns at their store? Knowing what Simpson's usually charges, I'm curious to know what Cabela's is selling them for.

Regards
Ken
Ken
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 02:29 PM
Safety-- good area for further discussion-- About 2 years ago at the Grandville Cabela's GL- in the outside the Libray doors used sales racks, I spotted a Winchester Model 11- $325.00 tag. I explained to the GL manager on duty that safety hazards with a "widow-maker" like that flawed design has- he said they would remove it from the rack and scrap it out- 2 years later, it is still gathering dust on that same rack in the same store.. Best one I've heard about the dipsticked level of the GL clerks- not in my area store, but I heard this somewhere on a gun chat forum: Customer asks about a Colt 1911- in .45ACP-- and then next to it in the locked case, a 1911-A-1 in .38 Super. Here's what the clerk told him: "The 1911 will only work with black powder loads- if you shoot a modern load in it, it could blow up the barrel- he also explained that the 1911-A-1 was a revised 1911 made with alloyed steel to handle smokeless powder loads-- and when asked about the difference between a .38 Super, as in the later (mid-1930's era) 1911-A-1) and the .45ACP round, the clerk told him that the .38 Super was a much more powerful round, comparing it to the difference between a .38 Special and a .357 Magnum. Wow-- As a footnote, I wish I had been there, as I would have loved to have heard the clerk's reply to this question: "OK, can you inter-change the .38 Super rounds with a .357 round? They both have the same NBD, just as do a .30-06 and a .308!!

I have no problem with BPS- if I still were fly fishing, I'd be a customer- wonder how and when they will liquidate the Cabela's gun Libraries- as for the monopoly, or even a monopsony focus in the Fed's over-view of the merger, don't forget we have a pro-Big Business POTUS on deck, coming in soon..
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 02:37 PM
Here is the problem with a cabellas clearance sale. If you have a gun over priced by 100% how long will it take to sell at 40-50% off. 40% is still over priced, 50% is full price. And some of their guns are more than two times true value. They had a $600 .410 that was priced at 4K not that long ago. That baby will take awhile to sell at 75% off. That's been their problem with not knowing the true value of what they are selling. If they sell them too cheap they still were making money but if the paid too much for them then most likely they would either sit on inventory for years or loose money when they cleared them out.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 03:02 PM
[quote=Run With The Fox]Customer asks about a Colt 1911- in .45ACP-- and then next to it in the locked case, a 1911-A-1 in .38 Super. Here's what the clerk told him: "The 1911 will only work with black powder loads- if you shoot a modern load in it, it could blow up the barrel- he also explained that the 1911-A-1 was a revised 1911 made with alloyed steel to handle smokeless powder loads-- and when asked about the difference between a .38 Super, as in the later (mid-1930's era) 1911-A-1) and the .45ACP round, the clerk told him that the .38 Super was a much more powerful round, comparing it to the difference between a .38 Special and a .357 Magnum. Wow-- As a footnote, I wish I had been there, as I would have loved to have heard the clerk's reply to this question: "OK, can you inter-change the .38 Super rounds with a .357 round?

One does not need to shop at chain sporting goods stores you really do not. I got second hand M45A1 with plastic box, papers, cleaning kit for kool $1300 plus tax. That was at LGS. Great pistol I have even learned to like the desert sand finish. No need to go and overpay for things at Cabela's gun library. They do have decent quality clothing Hecho en China, but only in stupid camouflage. sick I can get street-type clothing in different colors at BassPro or better yet at SteinMart.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 04:23 PM
Hechan in China, amigo mio y in calazador-hermano, no es verdad. Hechan is the past plufect of the root of the gverb "to make_"-- Hecho in China- Make in China- Hechan in China, made in China- Y muy Buena suerta in el neuvo anno, amigo-- El Zorro
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 06:11 PM
You guys need to keep in mind that both Cabelas and Bass Pro are big box stores and their target is the middle class to lower middle class married shopper. If you want quality you need to shop at Orvis or Beretta Gallery. Bass Pro is smart because they cater to kids and to the wives. A guy can take the family for an outing and go to a Bass Pro. He gets to play with the guy goodies the wife can shop cloths and be taken to a good place to eat and the kids can see Santa Claus, play with the toys and look at the stuffed animals. Cabelas was the gun library which is great for us guys but the wife and kids are soon bored. Cabelas has spent major bucks on their stuffed animals but they are not displayed well.

I worked for Cabelas during their conversion from a family owned store to a corporate store. The change in the atmosphere was remarkable. Family stores are usually run by people that love their creation and the atmosphere is warm. Corporations are run by MBA's and the atmosphere is often cold.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 06:40 PM
A new Cabelas store is supposed to be coming to Macomb County in SE Michigan. I wonder if the plan will go through. I visit the one in Dundee on occasion. The new LL Bean store near me has very little hunting apparel.
Karl
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 06:41 PM
A new Cabelas store is supposed to be coming to Macomb County in SE Michigan. I wonder if the plan will go through. I visit the one in Dundee on occasion. The new LL Bean store near me has very little hunting apparel.
Karl
Posted By: gold40 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 07:50 PM

I have a better opinion of CABELA'S than many of the previous posters. In St. Louis, the Gun Library staff is knowledgeable and competent. They are not going to know the details of the various Lefever and Parker model variations, but I don't expect them to. I've purchased about ten shotguns from the Gun library.

My only complaint is that in the last three years, their tag prices in the Gun Library have become too high. I haven't bought any guns from the GL lately.

CABELA'S still has the best special sale prices on guns. I bought a Ruger LCP .380 for $199 there a few months ago. That was below CDNN's "wholesale dealer" price at the time.

gold40
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 08:35 PM
Jerry, I did a deal with them last year. They have the most convoluted checkout system I've seen in any Cabela's store. Maybe it's due to physical layout, but it seems odd to put the computer terminals at the checkout counters. That way, you purchase a gun, stand in line until your turn at the checkout counter--and then you make everyone else in line wait while you fill out your 4473 on the computer. Other places I've been, they have a separate area with several terminals. 4473 done before you ever get to the checkout counters.

The 5% discount for active and retired military is great, and I'll certainly shop at Cabela's when they have something I'm looking for.
Posted By: gunluvr Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 08:51 PM
"Even a blind pig sometimes finds an acorn" even in the Gun Library.
My Dad went to the Dallas/Fort Worth Gun Library while on a business trip and happened upon a 1980's era, As New without box, Italian V. Bernadelli Gamecock with 26 in. Imp Cyl./Mod.,straight Grip. He got it for $375 and shipped free back to our home.This was 5 years ago and it has taken a lot of birds with me.
Just thought this might be of interest.
H
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 08:59 PM
Me too gunluvr. I once found a Lindner - Daly Diamond grade at the Fort Worth Cabelas years ago, grossly mislabeled "Field Grade." $275.00 OTD. Now there was a little play in the lockup, and you couldn't see the damascus pattern for the bluing job, but I had pros address those two issues and it shot fine. I still wish I had it.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/03/17 11:25 PM
Bravo! I have no use for Bass Pro and every use for Herter's branded shells and Estate dove loads when on sale and shipped for free or near free. I spent about $2K last year on shells priced cheaper than I can load them shipped to my door.

Competition is good, mergers are not - ever.
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/04/17 12:17 AM
Well, you can always shop at Gander Mountain. They typically have one guy manning the gun counter with frustrated customers lined up, while other employees wander the sales floor looking busy. Then you go to check out, and they have one register running while same employees wander around looking busy.

Fortunately, we also have Green Top Sporting Goods here in Virginia.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/04/17 01:40 PM
We have 2 Gander Mountain retail stores in Kent Co. MI-- the one on 29th St.- that's like you described. And like the Cabela's GL in Grandville (Rivertown Mall complex) with the Fubared LC Smith Ideal 16 gauge that is really a 20 gauge, this store has , and has had for 2 years, a "Uncle Dan LeFever 12 grade CE with 32" Krupp barrels, DT and EJ- except that is clearly marked on receiver and the barrels as well as a 3-barrel gun co-Hollenbeck. I have pointed out this glaring error to their floor stooges, even the gunsmith who is a serious Winchester collector, and have they changed this, and the price $3500- WFT. Fubars are where you find them, I guess.
Posted By: 12boreman Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/15/17 05:37 PM
I can't imagine Bass Pro getting rid of the gun library portion of the business. The gun libraries have the most knowledgeable employees in the entire store. The reason Bass Pro really doesn't have any libraries anymore is because Cabela's put them out of business! When a company merges with another company they buy the assets that will make them the most money. I know for a fact that the gun libraries make many many millions of dollars for Cabela's every year. When and if the merger is consummated let's hope the gun libraries stay. Besides, they generally pay a fair price for a firearm if you want to sell it bearing in mind that they have to make a profit on the other end. Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Posted By: shortround Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/17/17 12:12 PM
Quite frankly, I don't care for either chain. I have generally found that both are more expensive than smaller, regional or local stores, not to mention the on line avenue. I can't see how a merger would be good for anyone in a crowded and mature market that is moving away from "brick and mortar" stores. Macy's, Sears, Walmart, come to mind. Whether the merger happens, or not, the future does not look bright for either brand, IMO - worse if the merger happens. Niche players and the internet will continue to chip away at their sales and profits.

For years the Cabella's board was divided over physical stores verses catalog and on line sales. That was before on line sales of merchandise became the behemoth it is today. I think the jury is still out over the long term heath of either firm.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/17/17 01:47 PM
Just imagine how big that monthly electric bill is to light a parking lot that size, the heating bill to heat a store that size and on and on it goes. I can't see why Bass Pro is doing this right now because all they have to do is just wait a few years and Cabela's will be up for sale at a sheriff's auction.
Posted By: SWAMPMAN Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/17/17 02:07 PM
I know this is our fault, but I truly lament the loss of the small hunting, fishing stores. Whenever I get the chance I stop in to see what they have.
I do want to say one thing about Cabelas. The company and Cabela Family made a significant commitment to conservation efforts in the US. I don't know if that is true with BP or not.
My nephew is a pro-fisherman with Bass Pro and he can't say enough good about them.

Swampman
Posted By: pooch Re: Bass Pro-Cabela's - 01/18/17 10:43 PM
I've worked at both and really came away from Bass Pro with a good feeling. I'd like to go back but can't stay on my feet any more. Cabelas probably has more stuff for the sportsman but I got a kick out of Santa Claus and the good restaurant. Family stuff
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com