doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H Ribs again - 12/15/16 05:28 AM
I've been working on a gun and cut this rib on it. I really like it. 20 LPI, 60 degree diamonds, 90 degree V.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 11:38 AM
Excellent work, Chuck. They are impressed?

SRH
Posted By: SKB Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 12:55 PM
Side of an endmill with the head kicked at 45 degrees? I have never cut the diamonds at 60 degrees before.....looks good.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 12:56 PM
LOOKS GREAT
Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 01:21 PM
Thanks guys.

Steve guessed it.

This happens to be a 1911 9mm I'm building for my wife for Christmas. But a doublegun rib would look really nice with this. Not sure how to do it in a Bridgeport though.

Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 02:36 PM
Very nice outcome.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 02:50 PM
Nice worki Chuck!
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 03:41 PM
Cutting a fine rib on a handgun is impressive.

Having a wife who will appreciate receiving a handgun for Christmas is priceless.

Regards
Ken
Posted By: Mark II Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 05:00 PM
Very well done! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 09:21 PM

We never get tired of ribs at my house!

Hickory smoked 6 hours served alongside a Mac and Cheese with pancetta.

Posted By: craigd Re: Ribs again - 12/15/16 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
....a doublegun rib would look really nice with this. Not sure how to do it in a Bridgeport though....

Maybe, you can use a cutter that matches the radius of the swamp, at 60*, and plunge cut it. Probably a bunch of adjusting along the length of a shotgun rib though. Just a thought. Nice touch on the slide, and the ribs don't look half bad either.
Posted By: John E Re: Ribs again - 12/16/16 06:23 PM

How much meat is left on the SA slide at the lugs?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ribs again - 12/17/16 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: John E

How much meat is left on the SA slide at the lugs?

Plenty. I don't have it here with me, but the amount removed from the top of the slide is pretty small, and of course, just at the crown. The practice of flat topping is widespread even with makers like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Chuck Rogers, Ed Brown and many other custom 1911 smiths.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ribs again - 12/17/16 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
....a doublegun rib would look really nice with this. Not sure how to do it in a Bridgeport though....

Maybe, you can use a cutter that matches the radius of the swamp, at 60*, and plunge cut it. Probably a bunch of adjusting along the length of a shotgun rib though. Just a thought. Nice touch on the slide, and the ribs don't look half bad either.

I was thinking it's more a matter of real estate on a mill table and the x-y travel with a shotgun rib length. Of course a CNC addresses that issue since it can continuously travel at angles using combined x-y table movement while the part may be aligned with the table.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com