doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Granger flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 01:30 PM
Hi
what is a flat-back sidelock?
Thank you
Posted By: justin Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 02:10 PM
An action not shocked to the fences. Hopefully someone will post a picture.
Posted By: lagopus Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 02:16 PM
Here you go. A flat back is a gun not stocked to the fences as so:

As opposed to a gun stocked up to the fences.

Hope that clarifies. The first gun is a Charles Lancaster 'Crown' model (actually made by W.C. Scott in this case) and the second is a Holland & Holland 'Paradox'. Just put in to illustrate what I am trying to convey Lagopus.....
Posted By: lagopus Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 02:19 PM
Oops! The Holland's a flat back so here is a Non-Flatback this time; a Boxall & Edminson. Sorry. Lagopus.....

Posted By: jlb Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 03:22 PM
Would it be appropriate to say that a flat back does not have "horns" and the non-flatpack has "horns"?

jlb
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 09:05 PM
I think they both have horns, but stocked to the fence guns have longer antlers that go all the way to the fences
franc
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 09:44 PM
OK, for those of us that don't have the terminology down pat, how about a bit more help. The difference I see in the photos is that there isn't as much length in the receiver right behind the bolsters [ or fences ]. I had never heard of a flat-back sidelock before, or the term antlers used in gun terms. There use to be a place where all the terms were, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for any help. Paul
Posted By: moses Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 10:35 PM
See if this helps Paul.
http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm#B
Posted By: eightbore Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/17/16 11:12 PM
The recent lagopus post shows "Stocked to the Fences". There are many other variations of this feature, but the lagopus post shows what it really is.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/18/16 04:08 PM
As for Antlers...I was joking with Horns.It's a a tough room,lol
Stocked To The Fences means the horns go right up to the arse end of the fence balls.
If, behind said arse of the fence balls, there is a 1/4" or so of metal heading back to the stock on both sides...its not stocked to the fences.
Thats how I see it , though Flat Back makes me think of Mandolins...but then I'm a fiddle player.
cheers
franc
Posted By: eightbore Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/18/16 09:05 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the quality inference of guns stocked to the fences or not stocked to the fences?
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/18/16 09:37 PM
Sort of a style type thing like chopper lumps, etc. Most folks say stocked to the fences is better, depending if you are a buyer or seller, but let's not forget Boss best guns were not stocked to the fences until sometime after 1900. Same goes for Stephen Grant bests.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/20/16 02:06 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/20/16 06:39 PM
When I think of mandolins, I think of the Gibson Lloyd L-something series, came out in the 1920's- now as for flat-top guitars- I'll like both my 1964 Martin HD-35 with the 3 pc. back, and profiled neck- and my later Taylor with the cut-away and a slightly longer neck with more frets. My mandolin playing pal also is a fair guitar flat picker, he has a D42 Martin- if I'm real polite in our Bluegrass gigs (banjo, dobro and upright bass also make up our 5 man band of pickers) he'll let me play it- indoors--
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/20/16 08:54 PM
It would be difficult to assess the difference in the strength of the action forms without knowing the structure under the locks.

or if that is even a matter of consequence.

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: moses Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/20/16 09:41 PM
My lowly Wm Cashmore hammer gun is stocked to the fences.
O.M
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: flat-back sidelock - 11/20/16 10:35 PM
Foxy..it was Lloyd Loar.
I've been playing the fiddle for 45 years.Have a nice old Gibson carved back n front A basic model mando, teardrop shape, oval hole from around 1913.
Also a 2nd quality Gibson Kalamazoo A style, flat back n front,round hole from around 1930.I play gigs around here, mostly Irish/English folk stuff
Cool man, didn't know you were a picker...more power to the musios, eh?
Happy thanks giving mate,,do you have any links to your 5 man band...love to hear it.
cheers
Franc
Sorry for getting off top
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com