doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: lagopus Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/10/16 04:10 PM

New book out. Firstly I will state that I have no personal financial interest in this book although it does contain a number of illustrations of guns, cartridges and accessories from my personal collection. Midland Gun was a large concern making guns under its own name and for the gun trade but information is hard to come by due to the attentions of Herr Hitler and his gang of thugs reducing the company records to ashes. The Author; a friend of mine, now owns the company name and is trying to re-build some of the history. The book is a beginning of this aim. Cost in hardback is £19.99p. and will interest any Midland owners. He is creating a website at www.midlandgun.com where owners can register their guns to help in the rebuild of this history. Book can be obtained via Amazon or via the author Guy N Smith at guy@midlandgun.com 133 pages and well illustrated. A bit of a plug but not an expensive book and the first 50 are First Edition and will no doubt become collectable in time. If you don't like the book you can always blame me. Lagopus.....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/10/16 05:13 PM
Another great book to add to my collection.
Posted By: VictoryXC Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/11/16 03:43 PM
I was recently looking at pictures of a Midland boxlock. Would anyone care to comment on the quality of Midland doubles? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/11/16 08:27 PM
They vary from the plain and functional to the high end comparable with any other. This is mine; a 12 bore boxlock with single trigger and is the one on the front cover of the above book. Lagopus.....

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 01:10 AM
Beautiful gun Lagopus!!!

But one question, along with W.& C. Scott & Sons, AA Brown & Son and others including this firm, how can a firm that is considered one of the major suppliers to the British gun trade and its associated tangled web of anonymous action filers and whatnot, be described in a small book? Isn't Midland one of the top sources for other, more well known firms?
Posted By: bonny Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 02:48 AM
I know midland, or at least the midland name ended up being owned by parker hale. I had a midland mauser actioned rifle, it was a cheaper version of the PH rifles, but was excellent.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 10:14 AM
That's just the problem faced 'treblig' the records were lost and most of what we can find comes from old catalogues and anecdotes from a few past employees. I knew of an example previously owned by a famous author on shooting and fishing which I photographed and is included in the book. It is hoped that the book will drag out more information and when the website is up and running people can put details and information on about their Midland guns with the hope of bringing out a further expanded volume. Lagopus.....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
That's just the problem faced 'treblig' the records were lost and most of what we can find comes from old catalogues and anecdotes from a few past employees. I knew of an example previously owned by a famous author on shooting and fishing which I photographed and is included in the book. It is hoped that the book will drag out more information and when the website is up and running people can put details and information on about their Midland guns with the hope of bringing out a further expanded volume. Lagopus.....

The problem I have understanding the English gun trade is, how can just a few firms build so many guns to such a high standard of fit and finish inside and out? Its impossible. Unless we are looking at an enormous anonymous trade that is supply these 'bed rock' firms with basic finished parts. No?
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 01:14 PM
Depends on your definition of "High Quality". There are English built guns which are not particularly High Grade but most are pretty well built. I have a J P Clabrough 12ga which is considered one of the lower grade guns but it is very well built & extremely serviceable. It does have a bit of game scene engraving, but is their entry level model. An I Hollis muzzle loader is a very plain gun but again well built. I also have a W&C Scott pinfire which I would refer to as a High Quality gun though it is actually not as "Sturdy" as the others. Breech loaders were still somewhat in their infancy when it was built.
Greener infers that there were a good many Shoddily built guns built in England, primarily for export to their colonies, of which we were not one of by this point in time so few of those show up in this country.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 01:19 PM
For quality we just can't look at the level of engraving or the premium grade of wood. We have to look at the fit and finish both outside and inside of the product. Polishing parts to a mirror finish takes time.

Have you ever seen an English built gun that didn't have their internal parts finished to that standard?

What I'm getting at is, people simply say that this gun or that gun was actually built by W & C Scott and Son or Midland Gun Company then furnished to the retailer, but aren't we saying that about to many guns? They could not have built that many guns to that standard of finish unless of course they employed all of Birmingham.

Did they?
Lagopus, I have sent email to the author about purchasing the book, but have not received a reply. Amazon and Amazon.uk do not offer the book. If you know of another source, please let me know.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/12/16 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Lagopus, I have sent email to the author about purchasing the book, but have not received a reply. Amazon and Amazon.uk do not offer the book. If you know of another source, please let me know.

Lagopus;

I sent an e-mail as well two days ago to Guy and I have not had a reply.

Bv
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 03:27 AM
I also sent Guy a note a couple of days ago and no response as of yet.

Lagopus, Do you know if the book covers a single shot break open hammerless gun. I have one marked Midland Gun Co. LTD, B'ham, England. It is a single shot, extractor 12 Ga, with cocking indicator, chrome lined bore and choked Mod chambered in 3". Gun has an extension on the trigger guard to open it. It was probably built in the last 10-15 years.

Thanks,
WBLDon
Posted By: trw999 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 06:56 AM
Excellent news that Guy Smith has written this book. I know how tricky it is to gather enough data on a gunmaker when little exits, so he is to be congratulated.

Here is what IGC have on them to whet your appetite!

Name Midland Gun Company
Address1 76 Bath Street
Address2 80 & 81 Bath Street
Address3 Price Street
Address4 Demon Gun Works, 77 Bath Street
Address5 Demon Gun Works, 76 & 77 Bath Street
Address6 10 Bailey Street
Address7 74 Whittall Street
City/Town Birmingham
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun, rifle & pistol makers
Other Address 55 & 56 Price Street, Birmingham; 127 Cleethorpes Road, Grimsby, Lincolnshire; Unknown address in London.
Dates 1888-1964

Notes
The Midland Gun Company was founded in 1888 by Joseph Lightwood of Court, 16 Bath Street. All the Lightwood family, about 15 of them, were outworkers in the Birmingham gun trade, stockers, finishers, action filers and gun implement makers.
In the late 1880s the larger gun making firms such a P Webley & Son, W & C Scott and Westley Richards were producing the bulk of Birmingham's guns. The smaller gun makers and outworkers did not have the expertise to market their products and services and found it difficult to compete with mass production. In 1888 Joseph was one of the first in the gun trade to produce a catalogue, as opposed to brochures and pamphlets, of the products the Lightwoods made or could supply from other trade makers. They established the Midland Gun Company.

The Midland Gun Co was recorded in 1889 at 76 Bath Street, they may have had additional premises in Price Street. These and some subsequent changes of address may reflect changes of the principal offices of the company rather than actual acquisition and disposal of premises.

Joseph, the father, was recorded in the 1891 census living with his wife and two daughters. In previous censuses he had described himself as a gun stocker then as a gun action filer, but in this census he described himself as a gun manufacturer so he considered himself on or near the same social level as makers like the Scotts, Webleys, and Westley Richards.

Joseph died in 1896 and the company was reportedly bought by H Ludlow England who in that year also bought Holloway's shareholding in Holloway & Naughton. It is not known who or how many Lightwoods were employed by the company. In about 1897 the principal offices moved to 80 & 81 Bath Street, but the 76 Bath Street premises appear to have been retained.

By 1900 Joseph, the son, appears to have returned to his former business as an outworker.

Frank W Lightwood (b.1875) was the youngest son of William Lightwood, a gun implement maker in Birmingham. The 1901 census records him living at Bellevue, Ballifeary Road, Inverness, Scotland, with his wife, Ada (b.1873 in Hitchin, Hertfordshire) and his mother-in-law, Esther (b.1850 in Hitchin). Unusually and somewhat grandly he described himself as a small arms gun maker which suggests that he had been and perhaps was still employed by the Midland Gun Co, possibly to find customers for Midland products in Scotland.

Frank may have ceased being directly employed by the Midland Gun Co and became an agent because from about 1909 to about 1922 he was recorded as a gun and rifle maker at 12 Market Place, Brigg, Lincolnshire (see George Hockey, Charles Leonard, John Lofley and Lincolnshire Gun & Ammunition Co). In the 1911 census he was recorded as a gun maker living at 12 Market Place with his wife and mother-in-law, but he seems to have had a close relationship with the Midland Gun Co and may have loaded cartridges for them. Both Frank W Lightwood and Midland Gun Co sold a cartridge under the name "Four Best".

In 1913 Frank (sometimes incorrectly recorded as Frederick W Lightwood) opened a branch at 122a Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, Lincolnshire. The Midland Gun Co had a branch at 127 Cleethorpe Road from about 1909 and Frank may have been involved in this (see Frank W Lightwood). Grimsby had been a major whaling port where other gun makers had established offices to promote their harpoon guns, but this may not have been the reason for Midland's Grimsby premises. Both of Frank Lightwood's shops in Brigg and Market Rasen closed in about 1922. Frank died in 1925 but who took over his business is not known.

In about 1903 the principal offices of the Midland Gun Co moved to Price Street but in 1909 returned to 77 Bath Street and it seems that by this time the factory was called the "Demon Gun Works"; the company had adopted a naked male demon as its logo (engraved on the butt plates which were sometimes made of pierced steel), they applied the name "Demon" to their top grades of guns and cartridges.

In 1928 the company's address was 76 & 77 Bath Street, and at about this time the company had an office in London where they sold a wide range of guns, pistols and shooting equipment made by British and foreign manufacturers. They had a small wholesale export market, and they made components e.g. actions for the trade.

In 1941 the principal offices moved to 10 Bailey Street, Birmingham, possibly because of wartime bomb damage, but in 1942 these moved to 74 Whittall Street.

In 1952, the company, then a shadow of its former self, was bought by Parker-Hale.

In 1959 the Bath Street premises were given up and the company's only address was 74 Whittall Street.

In 1962 the Midland division of Parker-Hale, as in then was, moved to 55 & 56 Price Street, it closed in 1964. At this time the manager of the Midland division was Harold King who left to establish his own business in Birmingham.

Some reports say that Parker-Hale continued to use the Midland name on its guns up to about 1970.

Other Info
The company sold cartridges under the names "Best of All", "Demon", "Double Demon" (a steel-lined pigeon cartridge), "Edward", "Jubilee", "Keeper", "Keeper High Velocity", "Perfect Smokeless", "Perfection Smokeless", "Rabbit Special Smokeless", "Record", Record Brand", "Sudden Death". In addition, the Lincolnshire branch loaded a 12 bore cartridge under the name "Four Best"(as did Frank W Lightwood of Brigg, Lincolnshire). The company also loaded U.M.C. Remington cartridges (post 1915).
The models of shotgun listed in the 1930 catalogue included the following hammerguns: the "Defiance", the "Demon", the "Excelsior", the "Farmer", the "Keeper", the "Perfection", the "Pioneer", the "Quicksure", the "Rabbit", the "Sudden Death" and the "Very". Boxlock guns included the "Demon", the "Farmer", the "Favourite", the "Featherweight", the "Formidable", the "Invincible", the "Triumph", the "Twentyfive", and the "Victrix". Sidelock guns included the "Dreadnought", and the "Supreme".

Tim
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 12:07 PM
Last use of the Midland name would appear to be a pretty sad rifle cobbled up by Parker Hale from surplus Springfield bolts and a newly made hybrid action. There were many complaints of poor quality and poor fitting of stocks, barrels and triggers.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 12:36 PM
Treblig, labour was cheap in those days and pride of workmanship high. I have an old Thomas Bland 'Keeper's' hammer gun that is as plain as a pikestaff with no engraving but the name on the lockplates. Plain it may be but the internals are all to the same high standard as his more expensive guns.

For those after Guy please try him on his other e-mail account of blackhillbooks@hotmail.com meanwhile I will chase him up.

Don, single barrel guns are covered but there is no picture of yours and I would think the author would be interested in what you have with a photo and serial number etc. This is just the sort of response we hope will come about from the book. The single barrel guns were known as the 'Knockabout'. Some were made by Harrington & Richardson in the hammer form and marketed by Midland. Yours will be the Hammerless Knockabout Gun which was also available with 3" chambers Plain at £6.10 shillings in 2 3/4" chamber. £7.10 shillings with 3" chamber and some engraving. 34" barrels were 7 shillings and 6 pence extra and 10 shillings extra with heavy 36" barrels. From the 1937 catalogue. Most of the single barrel guns they marketed were made elsewhere. I recall some years ago seeing a 16 bore Hammerless Knockabout with German proof marks. They did market some low price doubles of Belgian make but the vast majority were made in house. Midland Gun Co. was about the fourth largest gun producer in Birmingham behind the likes of Greener and Webley & Scott. They also made a lot for the trade as I have a W.J.Jeffrey double hammer gun that they made also a Rosson of Derby. Lagopus.....
Posted By: justin Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 03:52 PM
Treblig,
There are two books that,to me,are a must read to better understand the Birmingham gun trade. The first is,not oddly enough,The Birmingham Gun Trade by David Williams and Notes Around The Gun Trade by Bernard Hinchley.
These books describe a corps of out workers that was the gun making industry. In fact the system extended into the factories where workers were paid by the piece,brought there own hand tools and were paid by what they produced whether inside the factory or not.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: justin
Treblig,
There are two books that,to me,are a must read to better understand the Birmingham gun trade. The first is,not oddly enough,The Birmingham Gun Trade by David Williams and Notes Around The Gun Trade by Bernard Hinchley.
These books describe a corps of out workers that was the gun making industry. In fact the system extended into the factories where workers were paid by the piece,brought there own hand tools and were paid by what they produced whether inside the factory or not.

I need to expand my library including this book. smile
Posted By: bonny Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
Last use of the Midland name would appear to be a pretty sad rifle cobbled up by Parker Hale from surplus Springfield bolts and a newly made hybrid action. There were many complaints of poor quality and poor fitting of stocks, barrels and triggers.

The very last of them possibly yes. Over here if you want a reasonably priced rifle, cz is the one to go for, and has been for the past 50 years. PH were trying to compete with them at a time when gun laws were being tightened in the uk, they were doomed to failure.

The midland i had was beech stocked, but with a mauser action, the metal work was free from tool marks, very well polished and the bluing was extremely good (much better than on the vast majority of modern rifles). I sold it to buy something else and regretted it ever since.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/13/16 10:07 PM
I can't remember where I read it but I think many later Midland guns that were exported to the states had the King name on them.
Does anyone have one or know the story ?
Posted By: PhilEllett Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/18/16 02:54 AM
Book (hardback version) is now available from Guy N Smith's (GNS) website with shipping options to the UK, US, Canada and Australia.

If you go to the Midland Gun website :
http://www.midlandgun.com/

Clicking the "View Details" button below the book image will take you to the correct page.

Current shipping options support single copies only. We will be adding pricing for purchasing multiple copies (with reduced shipping for additional books) over the weekend.

All books bought from the GNS website WILL be signed by the author.

Book will also be available through Amazon in the UK soon and worldwide by early December at the same 19.99 GBP price although these copies will NOT be signed.

Any questions email guy@midlandgun.com

Thanks,

Phil Ellett,

Editor/Producer of book at Black Hill Books.
MidlandGun.com webmaster.
Life-long shooting enthusiast.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/18/16 12:16 PM
TRW,I have a pre 1900 Midland catalogue[71 pages], Address is:
Midland Gun Co;
Demon Gun Works, Bath Street, Birmingham.
However Bath Street has been ruled out and Veesey Street added!
In the 1950's I was in the Midland shop,then located at Whittal & Bath Street. At that time they were making high grade single barrel guns for the African market, England having banned the sale of doubles in what was a troubled time for the British colonies.
The main selling points in the catalogue praised their ,"Solid body hammer guns and The best gun ever offered by anyone at the price listed regardless of type!"
This is a classic Victorian catalogue one that I have thought of having reprinted.
Posted By: AlanD Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/27/16 05:44 AM
Thanks for posting details of this book , which I have ordered.

I would not have known of the books existence otherwise.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Posted By: gunman Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/27/16 10:55 AM
[quote=El Garro]I can't remember where I read it but I think many later Midland guns that were exported to the states had the King name on them.
Does anyone have one or know the story ?

Possibly guns made by Harold King the Midland foreman who worked in price St until the 1970's. Mr King as he was known to many was a very clever and skilled man .
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/27/16 05:50 PM
Thanks Gunman, I was starting to think I'd imagined it but that's jogged my memory, turns out it was mentioned on here, by you as it happens.. Looks like they were for export to Oz & NZ not the states though.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...4428#Post294428
Posted By: bushveld Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 11/27/16 08:06 PM
Midland Gun book arrived from UK on 26Nov2016. I ordered it on 14Nov2016. That was quick, must have been delivered by the Super Demon Express Works.
Posted By: jc5 Re: Midland Gun Company a Short History. - 02/01/17 11:49 AM
Just ordered the Midland book from eBay.

To Roy Hebbes...is there a way I can contact you offline to discuss a few points regarding your old Midland catalogue? I tried to send you a PM but it would not accept. Thanks very much!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com