doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Researcher Remington Single Triggers - 11/07/16 09:44 PM
From the available evidence, it appears that Remington Arms Co. was busy working towards a single trigger for their Hammerless Double Barrel Shotguns, though that option never appeared in the Remington Arms Co. catalogs of the period. I have a notebook full of various single trigger patents assigned to Remington Arms Co., but none look like this one I picked up off ebay recently --

Doesn't look like any of the patents I have on file. Long ago, the late Charles Semmer, author of the book Remington Double Shotguns, sent me a list of the serial numbers of ten doubles with single triggers that were in the Remington collection, though two of the serial numbers seem odd/out of place. At any rate, 100844 was on that list. Remington supposedly sold off the guns in the 1948-9 time frame.

Anyone have a clue? Can point me in the right direction?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Remington Single Triggers - 11/07/16 11:05 PM
I'm of no help, but some here might be interested

Rolla Heikes used a Parker at the 1900 GAH at Live Birds, finished out of the money, and went back to his Remington, and won the Interstate Association’s First Annual GAH at Targets June 1900 with 91x100 from 22 yards.

Nov. 10, 1900 Sporting Life
Heikes is now shooting a new single trigger Remington hammerless gun. He divided first money with Fred Gilbert and Elmer Neal in the 25 bird sweep at Peru, Ind., on October 31 with 24 dead.

Nov. 17, 1900 Sporting Life
E. H. Tripp, the Indianapolis trap shot, tells a "hard luck" poker story- He was sitting in a quiet game with a few of the trap shots one night at St. Louis. Everything had gone the other way with him, and the boys had been "doing something."
At last he got a handful of aces in the deal, and he said to himself, -“Here is where I get even." He started to bluff the others, but just at that moment Colonel Courtney, who up to that time had been a quiet onlooker, began to tell about a new Remington hanmerless gun that had but one trigger to pull both barrels. He got the other fellows so interested in that gun that they forgot all about the poker game, and Tripp got but five measly chips out of his four aces.

More about Heikes here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k2_50HPC18lm2BZmH5SlgYSptcngORnmLTZ5iiW-cpc/preview
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Remington Single Triggers - 11/07/16 11:24 PM
That's a great story about Tripp, Drew. I enjoyed that.

SRH
Posted By: CableguyJJS3 Re: Remington Single Triggers - 11/08/16 01:13 AM
I cant speak about any of the guns that came with single triggers, but if they only made 10, seems like a rare bird. That said, no idea how many single trigger assemblies they may have made to put into guns, but I knew where there was a stash of them, around 25 or so. Coincidentally, that stash was not far from Remington itself. However those guys sold a warehouse full of parts to Numrich not long ago, those parts may have been included. If so, you may see them starting to appear more frequently.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com