doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jorge OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 06:13 PM
Let's you came across a nearly perfect mid-fifties 16 ga. with a Poly Choke. Barrels of this vintage are serialed to the receiver, so a simple barrel change is not so simple.
Would you elect to A)Keep it as is with Poly Choke B)Cut the Poly Choke off and live with cylinder bore on a full choke marked gun or C)install interchangeable chokes such as Briley, etc?

These things are never simple. It's a gem, all original, no added pad or shortend stock, but the Poly Choke could be a deal breaker.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 06:18 PM
Keep it as it is.
Posted By: Dave M. Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 06:19 PM
What's wrong with the Poly-Choke?
That was the "in thing" to have in that guns day.
I have two model 37's. Both had a Poly-Choke. I had one of them removed, and I'm sorry I did. Learn to enjoy the gun as it is, or buy another one. It's not like they are hard to find.
Posted By: Bob Rowley Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 07:06 PM
Cut it off?? Are you kidding? An Ithaca 37 w/ a polychoke & you want to cut it off? Or cut it off & send the bbl to Briley? For what? For them to put the chokes you cut off on the inside of the bbl? You know how many choke options there are on those polychokes? You'd need another big pocket just to carry all the choke tubes.
Dont buy that gun. Let someone find it who would appreciate what a great gun it is, just like it is.
Posted By: Jorge Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 07:11 PM
I never had one. I know they were "hot" in that era. Everyone I knew seemed to have one, and they seemed like a good idea, but I don't recall comments on how well they worked. It was just "twist and shoot," like working the action.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 09:39 PM
As Walt said, keep it was it is. You will be very supprised as to how well the Poly Choke will pattern at it's different settings. It will pattern as well as Briley's, but at no cost!
Posted By: builder Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 09:50 PM
It also puts some weight up front to help the single barrel gun follow through.
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: OT-Ithaca Model 37 - 05/04/07 10:57 PM
Keep it as is or let me know that you don't want it so I can buy it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com