doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Coryreb W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 01:18 PM
Have a chance to purchase a Jeffery 12 bore boxlock non-ejector. Is there a good place I could find out more information about this maker?

Thanks,
Cory
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 03:50 PM
Nigel Brown's book, London Gunmakers
Posted By: Rocketman Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 08:11 PM
Basically, a top notch London retailer of Birmingham guns. They ran a very "honest" shop in that you got what you paid for and you got good service and expert advise. The name has Brand Value Level Three; the same Original Quality grade in the same Current Condition level gun will have a USA retail market price of half of a BV1 (Boss, H&H, Purdey, & Woodward) and 2/3 of a BV2 (seventeen makers/retailers). They were probably best known for their rifles and cartridges - they were very creative with dangerous game cartridges around the turn of the century.

Order a reprint of the 1904 catalogue ($13.95) from this site - you will learn a lot!! http://cornellpubs.com/Templates/Jeffery%201904.htm
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 08:22 PM
As I recall there is a letter in the serial no. of Jeffery guns that lets one know if they are Birmingham built or in house built.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 09:07 PM
DH - I was not aware that Jeffery had an actual gun building shop - repairs and, maybe, finishing. I'm under the impression that they were a retailer, like Evans.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/03/07 09:14 PM
Rocket, I am in Maui and away from all files, but I seem to remember that the guns could be source identified by the serial no. I would assume that Jeffery did build rifles, but that is just an assumption. Do you have Nigel Brown's books, or something similar ? One of those books speaks of this. Daryl
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W.J. Jeffery Wildfowl Shotguns? - 05/15/07 10:08 PM
Rocket, I'm back from vacation and find I answered a question incorrectly. My "memory" of serial numbers indicating place of manufacture of Jeffery guns wrong. I was "thinking" of Gibbs guns when I answered. I guess that when I am on holiday, my answers should be too.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com