doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 11:23 AM
I can't seem to find an answer to this by "searching" so ...... How's the best way to copy a checkering pattern off an existing pistol grip? I have tried copying machine paper, and it works to some degree, but it is pretty stiff. Is there any other readily available kind of paper that will conform to the curves on a pistol grip while I get a rubbing with a pencil? Or is there something besides paper that will work better?

Thanks, Stan
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 12:52 PM
Stan,
Maybe a few strips of blue masking tape?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 01:59 PM
That's an idea, Chuck. Thanks.

BTW, my apologies for putting this thread here, I meant to post it on The DIY forum. My bad.

SRH
Posted By: JLN Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 02:21 PM
What I have tried is carbon paper reversed so the black is facing up but laid against the pattern and taped down with scotch tape. Then lay a bit of tissue paper on top of that and tape it down. Then if you gently rub the whole patter with a crayon or other round dowel rod you can get a transfer onto the tissue paper. Then I copy that on a copy machine to more durable paper. You can use regular copy paper to, but I find tissue paper is more flexible and will follow the curve better.

Jason
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 02:36 PM
Just what I was hoping for, Jason. Thanks a bunch.

SRH
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 02:57 PM
Can you still get good old tracing paper like we could 40 years ago? Maybe Hobby Lobby?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 03:05 PM
Stan, when I refinish a stock, I always mask off the checkering with masking tape. I apply it in overlapping strips, press it down really hard so you can see the outline of the border, then cut around the borders CAREFULLY with a very sharp, thin-blade knife.

Do the same thing, but just lift it off and place it on the stock you plan to checker: should work fine.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 03:07 PM
Good idea, John. Thanks.

SRH
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 05:45 PM
I've used aluminum foil and my fingertips to mold it to the curvature make an impression of the diamonds. I cut it out with scissors, flip it over and use it as a template to locate critical layout points on the other side.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 07:07 PM
I have used regular paper and done a pencil rubbing around the outside of the pattern. Then i cut it out. Then it can be traced onto heavier cardstock if need be.
Some of the other methods listed here sound like good ones too.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 08:00 PM
Stan, Check your PM's
Posted By: damascus Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 08:05 PM
Not that I have any Tattoos but I have used this for transferring designs on to wood and metal. Pay a visit to your local Tattoo Artist's studio and ask him would he part with a sheet of Tattoo transfer paper. It is usually blue will flex well and put up with rough handling much more than the standard office carbon/duplicating paper.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/01/16 09:16 PM
I use regular notebook paper and soft lead pencil and cut a slit or two in paper if it is a tight pattern. Bobby
Posted By: Fowlgunner Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/02/16 04:32 PM
Stan,

What I believe you are looking for is Vellum paper (what we engineers call "Onion Skin").

You can pick it up at Walmart where the label stock, resume paper, etc. is stocked. I believe it is an Avery product that they sell.

By the way how did the "No-Kick Coming" pad work out for you?

Will
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Copying a checkering pattern - 04/02/16 09:27 PM
Haven't used it yet, Fowlgunner. I'm in the middle of reshaping and refinishing the stock I plan to put it on. Trying to stain the buttstock (restock) to match the old original (dark!!) forend.

Thanks for the tip on the Vellum paper. I will look for it next trip to town.

All my best, SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com